Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 281 to 300 of 7,479

johncalmc

@Rudy_Manchego: Yeah, and the Vita worked out fine. Am I right, folks?

It would certainly be better if the Switch had Netflix and other apps. I just don't think it's a disaster. There are a lot more things to worry about with it first though. No third party support, high price, etc.

johncalmc

Twitter:

themcnoisy

So the conclusion I have come to;

Pros
Disgaea 5 on the move
Mario, Zelda and Splatoon

Cons
The Accessories are too expensive
The launch lineup is lackluster
The included memory is insufficient
The console is underpowered for my TV
Paid for online with no comparable IGC service
High game prices

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

BAMozzy

The lack of Netflix is hardly a game changer at all. In the home, assuming you have a Netflix subscription, there are so many devices that run Netflix - from a 'smart TV', to console, to PC even some Bluray players have the app. If you are out and about and wanting to watch Netflix, no doubt you already have a smartphone or even a tablet. A mini tablet (like the iPad Mini) has a much better (higer resolution etc) and bigger screen for watching content on - even most smartphones have a better quality screen although maybe not quite as large.

When a console announces things like Netflix, I really couldn't care less. If I wanted to watch at home (for example), I would use the App on my TV as that means I only have to have one device on (better energy consumption), its quieter as my TV doesn't have fans kicking in and works just as well as any console App. Having had a 4k screen for 2years, I have had access to 4k content far longer than consoles have been able to offer it. Even HDR content was accessible on my TV before it came to consoles. Out and about, its not always easy to access a wifi hotspot but mobiles and some tablets have their own Sim card to be able to stream/access internet services over the mobile network. If you are 'travelling', it may not be possible to keep connected to a wifi signal to watch Netflix anyway, where as with a Smartphone and some tablets, you could. I don't think the Switch will be launching with a Sim card option.

Things like Netflix are not system sellers. It wasn't Sony or MS who built these Apps and decided they wanted to 'sell' you a Netflix subscription. They built devices for gaming that just so happened to be able to support Apps and connect to the necessary devices to make these work - such as a Router and TV. Yes they may receive some income from Netflix for putting their app on the console but I don't know anyone who's first thought when it comes to a console is TV apps. If you wanted to watch Netflix on the go, chances are you already have the means to do so and if not, the Switch wouldn't be your first choice - you would buy a 3G enabled tablet or at the very least, use your Smartphone as these won't be limited by wifi hotspots and their download speeds - which are often not enough to stream at a decent quality anyway.

I can't see Switch gaining many sales by adding Netflix. Its possible they could add it after launch anyway but the App takes up space, drains battery life and really adds very little to the Switch. I think that everyones first and primary reason to buy Switch will be the games.

Online charge doesn't seem to be competitive with what Sony and MS are offering. However Nintendo 'could' have an Ace up their sleeve. The only way I can see it competing is not with free games but with wifi hotspot coverage, offering a wider and relatively decent speed coverage so that gamers can game online when out and about without having connection issues. Maybe if they have that and need to maintain it, the cost would be worth it for many and maybe then they could offer some 'streaming' apps but if the only place you (can) watch Netflix is in the home, then most people already have a multitude of devices for that purpose.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Gamer83

@johncalmc:
They do have third party support, just not a ton of Western third party support, yet, that could change depending on the success of a few key games it does have like Madden and Skyrim.

Gamer83

johncalmc

@Gamer83: Is Madden on Switch?

I just meant third party support of consequence. It will have some but it won't have parity. You see a big multiplatform game coming out, and the majority of the time it'll be on PS4, Xbox One, PC... but not Switch. Optically, that's very bad. For gamers who only buy one console it could be a dealbreaker.

Currently, third party support is entering a trial run. Nobody is making new games. They're porting old stuff they've got lying around. It's a "let's see how this thing sells and then maybe we'll consider actually making something" thing. It's an issue.

johncalmc

Twitter:

PorllM

@johncalmc: I think Switch will do almost as badly as Wii U with western third party developers. You won't be seeing Fallout, Doom, Battlefield etc. But I think it can do really well with Japanese ones, i.e. the games that would previous have been on vita or 3DS, RPGs, anime games etc.

Which is perfectly fine! 3DS did very well the last few years, and the usual first part Nintendo games will be flooding in since they don't have two consoles to support this time.

In the long run this could even push the install base and start the western developers coming. But that's a slim chance I admit. And no Madden isn't announced for Switch. EA have only mentioned FIFA. But I think FIFA is a test for them. If it does well Madden etc will come next. But I don't see how likely that is. THey need to release FIFA 18 with the full online, ultimate team etc. Instead they're just releasing FIFA Football for Switch like they did for Vita, which is pretty half assed in my opinion.

Edited on by PorllM

PorllM

Gamer83

I could've sworn Madden was announced for the North American market.

Gamer83

Rudy_Manchego

@Feena: @johncalmc Oh by no means is one app a deal breaker but I think it can be added to the bullet point list that you have a mobile gaming device that might not have the same basic media apps my smartphone or tablet does. Defo one for the end of the list...

The online charge and only having a month to play is, in my mind, crazy. I believe these used to be called rentals or even demo discs back in the day.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Splat

I know you can watch Netflix a million different ways but it's such a Nintendo thing to do. I think I lose interest more and more every day. I REALLY want to love the Switch they just aren't giving me a reason too. It's going to take some great reviews and word of month to get me on board.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

BAMozzy

@johncalmc: Nintendo for the past 2-3 consoles haven't had the BIG new AAA releases. They have lagged behind the other options in this area. The WiiU did get a few specifically built for the WiiU - like ZombiU that really didn't set the world alight - not like its own in-house games. I doubt many will buy the switch expecting Mass Effect, RDR2, CoD, Battlefield etc - certainly not the same standard or content. I really can't see Fifa being as content rich as Fifa18 and certainly won't look as impressive as on the PS4 Pro/Scorpio. Some of the big online games like CoD/BF are also really dependent on their community and size of that on respective consoles. Its almost impossible to get a game in some modes on Titanfall 2 because the user base is small.
Fifa is a game that can be played offline and could even offer linked (linking 2 or more Switches together) play which may appeal to some Switch users and whilst it may not have ALL the teams and players, it can still offer the 'football' experience. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Madden too but IF these games are very important to you, to have ALL the teams/players etc rather than play just for 'fun', then you wouldn't be in the market for a Switch. That's not really the market that Nintendo are aiming for.
I don't want to use the 'casual/hardcore' definition, but those gamers looking to play CoD are likely to buy a PS4 (as that is the platform associated with CoD and 'professionals'), Fifa is more likely to appeal to Xbox fans as that as extra content but can still appeal to PS4 gamers as its still a complete football game, If you want to play the big AAA multi-platform games, PC, PS4 and XB1 already has that covered. Nintendo offer something different. Something that's hard to find on other platforms. Fun games that are highly polished! Games that can be played in a spare 10mins or so but also addictive and can also be played for hours on end. Games that often suit the 'mobile' experience - a game you can play on the bus, waiting at a surgery etc but addictive enough that you want to play when time isn't so restrictive. Some AAA multi-platform games are not possible to play this way. By the time the opening cut-scene has finished, you barely have enough time to reach the first check point. It can be difficult to follow the story if its broken up by having to get off the bus, go into see the Dr. A game like Mario Bros, you can complete a level or two in 10mins and carry on as soon as you get out of the Dr's or jump on the Bus. I know Zelda is a bit more involved - although I never struggled with GB or DSi Zelda games and OoT/Majoras Mask were 'home based' console experiences - whilst great, were not exactly as deep or involving as Oblivion or Skyrim for example.
Nintendo are, it seems, targeting a different audience and whilst there are 'cross-overs' - as in people that want what Nintendo and Sony/MS offer, they are not 'another' PS/XB - offering virtually identical line-ups with really only the 'exclusives' to separate them. There are a LOT of people that see owning both an Xbox AND PS as pointless because the majority of the games are the same. What Nintendo offer is primarily a different option and something uniquely different. When the Wii launched, it had motion controls that set it apart - at least until the others came up with their version (Move/Kinect). The WiiU wasn't that uniquely different by comparison and the 'screen' controller didn't really offer too much but the Switch has something the others can't offer - versatility. It has the Wii control option straight out of the box (no need to buy a separate/alternative controller like you do with PS move) but also works like a Standard controller. You can game on the go so no need to buy a GBA or Vita and/or separate games. Even if Sony were to make an updated Vita I doubt it would be 'cheap' and I doubt you could buy Horizon:ZD, God of War, ME:A, RDR2 etc and have the same fluidity - especially not if you buy Physical copies. You couldn't just pick up and carry on but would need to save, back up to the cloud, load up the game on the handheld, import the save and then carry on from the last checkpoint - point is I can't see it being as seemless. Additional controllers maybe expensive - are they more expensive than a pair of Move controllers and a new DS4 which is essentially what these are. Its not like you 'need' an additional controller at launch either as you already get a L and R Joycon which allows 2 people to play a lot of games and games like Zelda are only likely to require 1 controller (supplied) anyway. Maybe if 3 or 4 of you want to play Mario Kart or Splatoon split screen, then it could be expensive (not sure if a single Joycon can be used in Splatoon/Fifa etc BUT price up how much an extra 2/3 DS4's would be for 3-4 player splitscreen - let alone Move controllers if you wanted to play games like Dance Central or a Wii Sports style game.
Compared to current home consoles, yes it is expensive. I doubt those looking for single device to play the big multi-plat AAA games would be those looking to buy Nintendo - they are deciding whether to buy Xbox or Playstation. Those in the market for the experience that Nintendo offer, a second console that can offer handheld gaming at a standard well above the current handheld options as well as the ability to sit back on the sofa and have fun, will buy the Switch. The WiiU, also still expensive compared to PS4/XB1, isn't as versatile or flexible.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Shellcore

@johncalmc: Just read it. Great article. Every switch feature should be sub-titled "I hope you like Zelda".

PSN: Aleks-UK

Octane

@Splat: Ugh.. didn't know that. I get the argument that other people are using, but I still think that Netflix on the go would've been a perfect thing. I rather drain my Switch battery when I'm commuting than my phone's. The bigger screen, while no 1080p, is still a plus in my opinion.

I'm sure that the system itself is great, and I don't mind the $300 price either, but there are a ton of smaller issues that already plague the system. And a lot of them have to do with Nintendo's business decisions. Like the voice chat, who at Nintendo said; ''Let's do voice chat through your phone as well! No, wait. Let's remove the voice chat from the system and let's make it exclusive to your phone!'' The initial reveal was done so well, and they managed to shoot themselves in the foot several times over this week. I just don't get it anymore...

Octane

BAMozzy

@Octane: If you are commuting, chances are you won't be able to access Netflix or get a great experience as it stops when you leave one wifi hotspot leaving you searching for another one to connect to. Phones use a Sim card to access the internet and therefore Netflix so its not so much of an issue. For some it may not be a problem, living in a big city with Wifi hotspots all over the place but I bet not a lot of people can easily access wifi hotspots on non-3G tablets and I bet the quality isn't that great either - not enough to watch something like netflix or even youtube.

I guess if you can link a Smartphone for chat, you maybe able to link the phone for wifi - maybe they will allow streaming to the Switch?

Kidfried

@johncalmc Great article! Expresses my feelings and concerns about the Switch nicely too. Have to say, the comment beneath the article is rather piteous.

@KratosMD Have to say the user interface still looks kinda provisional, but at least it's way better than Wii U interface. I like its simplicity.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Splat

Update on the whole Netflix thing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/20/nintendo-considering-v...

A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

"All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch. However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update."

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

johncalmc

@Kidfried: Honestly, if you write things to be thrown out in public long enough you learn to embrace the negative comments. I've had some beauties in my time. Real, personal vendetta stuff. People really do get mad when people on the Internet say mean things about a video game console they like.

johncalmc

Twitter:

themcnoisy

@johncalmc: Quality article John, love the longer articles and that one is ace! Thanks for sharing.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic