Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,681 to 2,700 of 7,479

Kidfried

@KratosMD I don't know if you're a fighting game fan or not, but you're cutting a lot of fighters short. Smash doesn't need to be 3d to be different from now.

For instance, I played some SC6 this weekend. They added Reversal Edge, a type of move. They changed how armor breaks work, reintroduced ditched features. In other words: really tweaked the overall gameplay. The game 'feels' different while playing.

Ultimate, though, is exactly what its name implies: just all the previous games.

I'd love for them to restrict movement a bit, for instance, make characters jump less high and make damage impact lower. In that way you'll get more compact fights. Or maybe, make shielding directional. Just... shake it up, you know?

I'm really happy for everyone who is excited for this, by the way. I think it's more exciting for people who didn't play the previous games as much probably.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Rudy_Manchego Haven't heard from anyone who has it on Switch. Does the game translate well to handheld?

Kidfried

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD That's a pretty reductive view of 2D fighters to be honest. While Smash is a little 'light' mechanically in comparison to something like Street Fighter - where you'll find very different mechanics across the main numbered entries and incredibly deep systems.

It's a bit fanboyish to then go on and describe the most iterative of current fighting games as particularly ambitious.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD
They aren't always ridiculous statements. Some games are iterative mechanically, Injustice and Injustice 2 for example are incredibly iterative - though it is a relatively recent system. Tekken has always been very iterative too, with presentation and technical prowess usually being the defining leap from one entry to another (barring TTT).

SFIV is as close to playing SFIII as it is V. The systems in place are radically different.

For a long time, Smash has just been... Smash. It's had a lot in common with Tekken in that regard actually; new console, new version of Smash - not much different.

Ultimate looks to be the most interesting by far though. It'll be interesting to see how the community takes to what will be a more taxing tactical experience.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Kidfried

@KratosMD You're right. I forgot about a few there. I'll reserve my opinions on those mechanics until after I've played it.

Kidfried

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried It translates pretty well to be honest - in terms of performance, seems slightly better than the 360/PS3 gen. I find these games are pretty good for handheld play as they are so large. At least that is what I told myself when I bought it six months ago and never got anywhere with it!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

Shame I have to wait so long for my copy of Megaman 11, since everyone says its really good.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

RR529

Finished up the Rimuldar arc in Dragon Quest Builders, so I guess I'm about halfway through?

Great game so far. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it since I've never played any kind of builder before, but it adds a unique twist to the standard RPG gameplay, that makes it stand out in comparison to the other JRPGs on the system. It's optimized fantastically too (In portable mode it runs at native res at all times, and the only time I may have noticed a tiny dip in framerate is one time when multiple, I think it was 4, Evil Idols were going off at the same time as I ran in between them).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD Localisation issues are mostly resolved. The game is fun, fluid and I did write a full review basically kissing it's ass, as barring remakes, it's my favourite game this year.

As for the seller thing, places here in the UK didnt stock the Switch version at launch so...good luck. Great game.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@KratosMD Switch version has minor performance issues (in handheld mode, the resolution gets a bit jittery at times, and when things get really hairy the framerate can take a dip, but neither of these issues negatively affected the majority of my experience with the game), but everything localization-wise should be resolved. I played for 65 hours and didn't encounter more than a handful of typos.

It's an absolutely fantastic ARPG. Definitely go for it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

Yeah, YS VIII was fantastic. Portably, it drops below native res in a few areas (I think they're all later game areas, all on the second half of the island), and there's an optional dungeon that has some resolution and framerate dips (I think it was added in the PS4 version, and wasn't part of the original Vita release, which could be why Switch has some issues with it), but that's about it.

I think I may like it more than Xenoblade Chronicles 2, at least in terms of gameplay (it's much more intuitive to pick up and play after putting it down for awhile).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

@KratosMD I had fewer issues with it docked, actually. The resolution seems to hold up better on the TV, imo. Framerate issues are identical in both modes.

If you're cool with 30fps, it mostly holds up throughout the game, only dipping in a couple of areas.

Ralizah

@KratosMD It's actually a port of the PS4 version, which is why it was my go-to version of the game. All the content of the home console version, but with portability. It still looks and performs better than the Vita version.

There are definitely some issues, as I said, but nothing that ruined the experience, or even significantly marred it. The biggest sacrifice is the 60fps, but it was originally designed to run at 30fps on the Vita (which it was first released on in Japan), anyway, so it's not like the game is performing in a way it was inherently not meant to perform. The hit was worth it for me being able to play it away from the TV, and I'm not missing out on a bunch of content like if I'd opted for the Vita release.

You also get some exclusive costumes on Switch. I really liked the pirate gear, personally.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Just ordered a new TV for my room. It's only 720p (which means in terms of Switch gaming I won't be able to play games in 1080p when playing docked, however I will be able to enjoy docked mode more often than I do now with the Switch on the living room TV). Also, it's a smart TV which should be nice with Netflix & YouTube absent from the Switch itself.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

It runs pretty much the same everywhere with the exception of a couple of problem areas late in the game (that aren't a huge part of the game, either). If you're happy with it as it is now, it should be satisfactory over the course of the game.

That's about how I felt. 60fps would obviously have been better, but I'll take it for full portability.

RR529

@KratosMD, incidentally, back in July a storm knocked out our power while I was playing YS VIII (on TV). I was distraught until I saw a sliver of light at the top of the dock, and soon realized that the system just switched to portable mode and I picked up right where I left off.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Jaz007

@KratosMD What’s worse than the whole issue with what normal means, is the inability to switch difficulty without starting a new game.

Jaz007

Ralizah

@KratosMD Let me know what you think of the difficulty settings in Ys VIII. I found that hard mode was just right for me.

Jaz007

@KratosMD So why not grind then? Wouldn't it be faster than doing the first 5 hours again with no Xp?

Jaz007

Jaz007

@KratosMD I misspoke, and sorry to potentially beat a dead horse, but wouldn’t switching it to easy and then grinding a little, but less than 5 hours be easier? Then you wouldn’t have to grind again, but also not restart the whole game.

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic