Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,661 to 2,680 of 7,477

sr_388

@KratosMD Just noticed your discussion and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as XC2 is right next to BotW as my favorite Switch games.

Personally, I'd play XC2 before the DLC. I'm about halfway through the DLC and the spoilers are mainly character related so far (though I'm expecting some more substantial ones later). However, I do feel that playing the expansion first could very likely spoil the emotional impact of certain reveals in the main game. The game has some surprisingly heavy moments and it would be a shame for those not to hit as hard (unless you're one of those strange people who don't like being sad lol).

Of course, I always like to view things in the original order, especially when it's an ongoing story.

Also, you won't spoil anything in XC if you play XC2 first. The connection between them is more of a nod than anything else.

But whatever order you play them in, I hope you enjoy it. It's a great ride!

sr_388

johncalmc

So the online service is going down well then.

PS I got Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle for my birthday and I'm pretty excited to play it.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

@johncalmc Kingdom Battle is a genuinely fantastic game. The DLC campaign was pretty decent, too.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KratosMD No I never did. Found them standalone, but I figured they'd do a collection eventually.
What I didn't expect was the series going multiplat!
Ace Attorney was one of the reasons I got a Switch as well.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

RR529

Oh my. Just now found out the hard way that not in use party members (in Shining Resonance Refrain) don't earn ANY exp (first time I've ran across this in a modern RPG). I was just forced into a battle where I'm stuck with 2 characters neither of which I regularly use (one of them was still level 15 in a part of the game where enemies are now between level 60-70), and I got one shot by a regular enemy, lol. Looks like I'm going to have to spend my time levelling these losers up.

Anyhow, I also played through the demo of Dragon Quest Builders recently, and it's definitely going high up on my list of wants. It passed me up when it released because I was playing BotW at the time, and I only now remembered it because I happened to pass by an episode of the Price is Right earlier this week where they gave away a pair of Switch consoles with DQB, Kirby, DKCTF, & Captain Toad, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/25/nintendo-will-let-you-...

You have six months before your cloud saves expire, evidently. I figured from the wording on the FAQ they weren't going to be erased immediately. Of course, Nintendo couldn't have just come out and said this in the beginning before nonsense rumors began to circulate and took on a life of their own, could they?

Edited on by Ralizah

mookysam

@RR529 Dragon Quest Builders is amazing. Really solid RPG with fun building mechanics.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Octane

@Ralizah I don't think the higher ups were even aware of it

I always like to imagine that it's a big hassle to send out a simple Tweet at Nintendo; Some intern notices the confusion regarding cloud saves online, asks their manager if they should correct it in a Tweet via the official Nintendo account. The manager doesn't know but forwards the message to his boss, who in turn sends an email to Reggie, where it probably ends up in his spam box; On the off chance Reggie notices it, he'll send a letter to Nintendo HQ, and maaaybe reaches the higher ups at Nintendo HQ if the pigeon carrying the letter didn't drown halfway on its way to Japan.

Octane

Tasuki

So I decided to download Arena of Valor tonight to check it out and Holy **** what a game. I am completely hooked on it. Every since I played Heroes of the Storm on PC I was hoping that a MOBA would come to consoles.

I tried Smite on PS4 before but I didn't like the whole third person view MOBA and preferred the top down style and thus could get into it really. Well I am glad that Arena of Valor isn't like Smite view wise. It really scratches that MOBA itch I got after playing Heroes of the Storm.

Best thing about it is it's free and doesn't require a Nintendo Online subscription to play with others. Honestly if you have a Switch download this game and give it a try especially if you like MOBAs.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

Got this little beauty in the mail yesterday. A little disappointing that I couldn't carry over my demo progress, but it's addicting as heck.

Untitled
Dragon Quest Builders

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ArcadeGuy

My favorite will always be Zelda Breath of the Wild. The rotating dungeons were an interesting twist. I feel like I at times played the game the wrong way, but I still made it to the end.

ArcadeGuy

Kidfried

@KratosMD Hold it. I love Smash Bros., but Ultimate hasn't shown me one reason (besides a character) why it's going to be better than previous games. It's more of the same really.

It's like why Arkham Knight is the least excited game in the series. It's just 'bigger'. I don't want bigger, I want better. I want to be surprised and excited.

Smash Bros and Melee were great games, both really ambitious. If SSB was a house, then Melee was a skyscraper. The new SSB is going to be that same skyscraper with an extra floor added.

By the way, I thought the last one was pretty good as a definitive package. Which is exactly how Nintendo marketed the game. They're doing the same thing again now.

Also, I take issue with 'more'. We don't need that much characters. Just make a few really cool ones, and have it be balanced and feel fresh.

Or maybe, y'know, a single player mode we care about.

But it wants to be all 'nostalgia' and 'party' game. So safe. The safest and therefore most boring release of the year.

Of course, it's going to be a good game. And I will play it, maybe at launch even and probably enjoy it a lot. But I've played every game in the series for over a hundred hours at least. So...

Kidfried

Ralizah

Only game in the series I played for any huge length of time was Smash 3DS. And I really liked Smash 3DS. But, aside from extra stages and characters, I'm not really seeing what this one offers that makes it worth running out and buying at launch.

I need a really good single-player mode to get me excited for Smash Ultimate, I think.

@Kidfried Meh. Arkham Knight was the game I wanted Arkham City to be. It had a pretty decent story, great environments, and the Batmobile added an interesting new dimension to the gameplay. I really enjoyed some of the surprises near the end as well.

The DLC campaigns suck, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Jaz007

@KratosMD @Ralizah @Kyroki I should be really excited for Ultimate, but Wii U being a lackluster and dissapointing entry makes it harder for me. It was a good game, but disappointed in characters, stages (it barley had any), graphics, the awful board game, no decent SP, and insulting DLC characters they needed to be in the base game.

Jaz007

Haruki_NLI

Last I checked Smash Wii U had the highest number of stages in the series, before Ultimate existed anyway. Don't see where this "Stages (It barely had any)" comes from, unless I can't count.

Either way, narrative that "Smash isn't as big as people think it is" aside (As the sister site puts it), Ultimate is pretty much the only Switch game this year I am excited for.

Spyro isn't on, or coming, to Switch. So my nostalgia goggles for that trilogy are off.

Mega Man 11, I am having to get a friend ship to me from America, because screw you Capcom, Europe exists too, so I'm getting that late and I will likely be lukewarm towards it anyway.

Pokemon...ha.

So yeah....that's it for the rest of the year.

Honestly this year in general was pretty bad for me in terms of new releases. I mean sure you had God of War, Sony's Insomniac's Marvel's Spider-Man, Monster Hunter, so on so forth, but in terms of wholly new games that interest me...well...

There was Kirby. That was merely ok.
Ys VIII was a port, and that's my favourite game of the year currently.
Hyrule Warriors...no...Bayonetta...no...Undertale...no...Hollow Knight....nope.

Yeah in terms of wholly new releases this year I bought...maybe 3 at most.

And none were amazing, or even "Great". Simply okay.

So bring on Smash, at least my enthusiasm for that extends a little beyond "I know it's a solid game".

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Jaz007

@Knuckles-Fajita It had a low number of new stages compare to Brawl and had few Brawl and Melee stages, particularly for melee. I don’t remember it having more than Brawl at all. Not even close.

Jaz007

Octane

Ultimate seems to me every Smash game I already own combined. It doesn't really grab my interest. I've always said that they should've trimmed the roster down to 20-30 of the old characters and add 20-30 new characters. But people seem to be more excited about the same old thing with 5 new characters than something that truly sets it apart from the other games.

The ''Ultimate'' is just an excuse to sell another port

Octane

johncalmc

Honestly, you have no idea how mad I was when I finally recruited Princess Peach on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, only to discover that I couldn't use her and Luigi on the same team.

Great game though. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also I signed up to Nintendo Switch Online so I could play Zelda and Mario and I did and it was great and now I'm pretty much done with Switch until Christmas rolls around and maybe Santa will bring me Octopath or something.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

Well, it is reality TV season in the Manchego household as my wife and kids watch the BBC Strictly Come Dancing about competition. For me, this means I am going to use this time to FINALLY try and get through Skyrim on Switch. I had about 10 hours in but got lost in what I was doing and didn't really like it. So I have started another save and I am going to do my darndest to get through a Bethesda open world game.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic