Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 261 to 280 of 7,477

Splat

So, their paid online service only gives you one game a month and you can only play it that month? Who thought that was a good idea?

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

johncalmc

PorllM wrote:

johncalmc wrote:

A Switch for £280, an extra controller for £70 and a game for £50.

Agree with your other points and a lot waits to be seen but you're forgetting this is launch price. PS4 was £350 at launch, controllers were £55 and games were £50. Now you can get them for £250, £35 and £30. Even less than that if you wait/find a good deal.

Wii U didn't drop in price much due to the ridiculous manufacturing costs, the streaming chip needed in the pad etc. I'm sure Nintendo will have designed this in a way to avoid that issue again. Home console prices are always inflated at launch then discounted quickly, and handhelds even more so. Come Christmas 2017 when Mario launches I expect the Switch to be findable for £220 which is a deal that's very hard to turn down, even for a casual/non gamer. In fact if they can get a Mario and Splatoon bundle for around £220-£250 with a Pokemon game out too it's almost a guaranteed smash.

I'm not forgetting that. I'm dismissing it. While the point stands that the cost is cheap, relatively, to what the competition was at launch, those consoles launched three years. I don't think the man on the street is going to be stood in a game shop wondering what console to buy, giving a free pass to the Switch because the PS4 was more expensive three years ago. What matters is that the Switch is going up against consoles, now, that are cheaper, more powerful, and hove tonnes more games.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@PorllM: You are right in terms of launch prices being inflated. The Vita and 3DS launched at approximately the £200 mark (give or take) and they dropped quite quickly. So the Switch isn't necessarily that much more expensive given that it is more powerful and is a handheld that can be plugged into the TV.

But.... it is still nearly as expensive as a launch PS4 or XB1 if you want the accessories and games etc and that is a lot for a console that is trying to position itself as the 'second' console rather than an alternative to PS4/XB1. It is a very expensive handheld and a fairly expensive home console. The Switch and 3ds did drop their price quickly so it became affordable for parents etc. Even if the Switch dropped to £220 by Christmas that is still going to be more expensive than a more powerful PS4/XB1.

Consumers need to take a chance on this and the lower the price point, the more likely they are to invest which in turn will drive up third party support. Price too high, people won't buy, developers wont support, console fails.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

PorllM

johncalmc wrote:

I don't think the man on the street is going to be stood in a game shop wondering what console to buy, giving a free pass to the Switch because the PS4 was more expensive three years ago.

And kinda replying to @Rudy_Manchego too
You're not wrong but the tens of millions of people who already have a PS4 might, especially now it's a few years old and not as exciting, and the Xbox is stumbling and has virtually nothing on the horizon. If Switch can get exclusive games out quick enough to become a viable "second console", the fact it's portable and has two built in motion controllers makes it an interesting proposition for anyone. Add to that the usual Nintendo fans that grab anything they make, the fans of Japanese games and Vita, and the younger audience, and that's a lot of people. Not saying that's what's gonna happen but they're certainly in a good position so far if they don't mess it up like with the Wii U.

Remember with the Vita being dead and 3DS coming to a close this will be the only handheld on the market. Taking into account it's graphics, rumble, dual sticks, motion controls etc it's easily the best handheld ever. Capable of playing Vita style Japanese anime/visual novels and/or Skyrim, NBA, Fifa. Either on the bus or on your tv. That's without even mentioning Nintendo games, the main attraction. No system has ever even attempted something like that, and as PS4 owner since launch who loves my PS4, it honestly looks very boring next to the switch.

Edited on by PorllM

PorllM

Kidfried

@PorllM: I agree that as a handheld it might have a future. Thing is, apparently the battery life on the thing is low. And other thing is that Reggie already announced that Switch and 3DS will exist side by side, and they'll keep making games for it. That will not convince many consumers to 'switch'.
And the second-console-thing? That's not really a thing anymore. That was a kind-of-viable way to go during the GameCube-era, but no more. The industry has changed in big ways, with mobile gaming becoming a thing and PC gaming saved.

Switch could become a real thing if Nintendo went all-in, but it seems, which is my issue with current Nintendo, that all they do is kind of half-baked. For instance: the Wii U was almost a modern console and almost a 'new way to play'. Guess it wasn't both in the end, huh? Just like the Wii before, by the way. And now with the Switch too it seems like they can't decide which strategy to with either. They're clearly a company in a crisis and the Switch won't solve any of their problems.

Kidfried

LzWinky

An idea I thought of was buying one of those small portable chargers and use it on the Switch. Mine isn't very heavy and I think it can add 2 or 3 hours to the Switch's battery life.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Octane

@TheLZdragon: What type is yours?

Also, do we have any idea what the power consumption of the Switch is?

Octane

Tasuki

I have been watching a few Switch videos on YouTube mainly stuff like Projared and a few others who had some hands on experience and alot of them are coming to the same conclusion that unless you want to play Zelda this is not a buy at launch day system.

I can see Nintendo's reasoning for making Zelda a launch title unless you hae a Wii U you are going to want to get Switch and do to the poor sales of the Wii U Nintendo is banking that not many people have a Wii U.

For me though, I can see me getting it down the road maybe when Mario comes out. I am not a big fan Splatoon so that's not a big deal for me and MK8 Deluxe, I wish it was a new MK but I will probably end up getting it at some point since I am sure Nintendo at some point will shut down the MK8 servers on the Wii U.

The game I am most hyped for is SFII. But still that's one game.

All in all I can see me getting one in the future especially if they can keep the third party support coming and not have it die like on the Wii U.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Splat

Tasuki wrote:

Unless you want to play Zelda this is not a buy at launch day system.

This. I think Zelda look's amazing but I'm not dropping $300 on a console plus another $60 for one game. The motion control stuff and the fact that it's portable does nothing for me. In fact those two things actually make me want it less not more.

Tasuki

@Splat: Plus another $70 if you want the procontroller. Just save all that money and buy it on Wii U instead. That's what I plan to do.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

LzWinky

@Octane: I can't think of it off the top of my head, but I use it for long travels with my 3DS. It's the standard one for phones.

LzWinky

@Tasuki: Splatoon and Mario Kart are Day 1 though

Hello two more 400+ hour games!

Splat

Is it true that you won't be able to use things like Netflix,YouTube ect on the Switch?

Octane

@Splat: Probably not, but Nintendo is just secretive about it all as usual. Everyone expected to get every detail last week, even I did, because why wouldn't you? Seven weeks from release, high time they tell us everything. But no, hopefully we'll learn more about it in the coming weeks.

Octane

Gamer83

@Splat: Nintendo has made questionable decisions in the past, but it's not that stupid. In 2017 to not have those things on a mobile device would be pretty damn idiotic.

Gamer83

Splat

@Octane @Gamer83

This video is why I ask. Starting about 2 mins in it sounds like it's not happening.

Edited on by Splat

johncalmc

Honestly I don't think not having Netflix etc. is a huge deal for the Switch. There are a LOT of problems with the Switch. And sure, optically, it might look weird for a 2017 system to not be able to play Netflix. But EVERYTHING can play Netflix. So unless you only have a Switch - in which case you've got bigger problems than not being able to binge watch - then it really won't matter.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@johncalmc: I don't think it is a game changer but if you are travelling or commuting and you can take a tablet with Netflix etc. and mobile games or you can take a Switch which can only play games on, you might choose the tablet which you probably already have. I think the switch would be better to have multimedia options to appeal to those that are truly mobile.

Remember all the complaints that the Vita didn't have any media or social apps?

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Nei

@Rudy_Manchego: the Vita has had Twitter, Facebook, Skype and more since very early ... anyway I wouldn't cut the Switch battery life short for Netflix honestly, but it's just me. It would be nice to have as an option but I don't think a lot of people will miss it, they have a lot of other big issues to address:

• It costs too much with no bundled games (1,2, switch ? Arms? no...who's actually going to buy those for 40£?) - it's too much for the portable gaming crowd imho. Remember the 3DS early days?
  • Zelda, the launch system seller, is also available on WiiU, so Nintendo hardcore fanbase has the chance to get it on the console they already own and wait for something else to jump on the new console (Splatoon 2/ Mario Oyssey?)
  • the online subscription sounds bonkers? A free trial of a SNES game fore 30 days? I hope this costs like 3£ a month, otherwise it is basically advertising for PlayStation Plus.
  • The pro pad costs 70$? Wowza! A console + pad + game sets you in ps4 pro territory and generally you can grab a ps4 slim with one or two games for the price of the switch alone and...
  • ...With Resident Evil 7, Tekken, Nioh, Persona 5, Mass Effect Andromeda, Red Dead Redemption launching on ps4 in the first half of the year and the very diversified library already out there, the Switch lineup seems really just for Nintendo enthusiasts. It's like the WiiU all over again. While I do think the Switch will find its audience eventually (portable gaming fans + Nintendo fans) I don't see it doing great in the beginning.

Edited on by Nei

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic