Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 7,480

Haruki_NLI

Well there is Mario Party and Pokemon I guess...

And Starlink. It's not like there is only one game.

And a few other things

But eh. Theyve done game specific Directs before. Gotta remember they are condensing the volume of info we used to get over 2 years...into 6 months.

But yeah if you dont like Smash you're picking up another game on the system thats also releasing.

Or doing what everyone else is doing and enjoying the smorgasbord of games on PS4 and Xbox One in September and October so you forget the Switch exists and hopefully it misses the 20m mark and begins to decline.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

carlos82

The half an hour or so that bores the he'll out of me at E3 was more than enough of Smash until it launches. I do actually like Smash but I already have 3 versions of it, if it gets a meaty single player I'll probably get more excited but we really don't need a direct for it after the farce that was E3

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

carlos82

@KratosMD I would hope for something huge but after they wasted nearly half an hour just showing us the characters we've already played as at E3, I wouldn't be surprised by more of the same. I do hope there is some decent single player stuff to announce but I'd just rather they show multiple games along with Smash that are incoming rather than just focusing on one, particularly after wasting so much time at E3 when they could quite easily have shown all we needed to know about the game

Edited on by carlos82

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Kidfried

I can't imagine they're still going to show us anything that will blow my socks off. They didn't at E3, so why would they now?

I know a lot of people were really hyped about all the characters being there, but I was more like 'well, these are all characters I played already and they hardly changed anything up'. C'mon, Nintendo, stop riding the nostalgia train and move forward.

Even though I disliked Breath of the Wild, at least it was Nintendo trying something new. Was the only big Switch game that did.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

So much negativity suddenly.

I mean sure, they want to focus on Smash. They also focused a lot on Splatoon 2 for 6 months before release last year. Thats not much different from the original. Then they did the same for Odyssey. People comllained they were showing TOO MUCH of the game in terms of spoilers.

Then Xenoblade, whicb people complained because they didnt care about it.

Let's just say this is how hype works now. Short protracted cycles per game.

Sure. Youve played as all those characters before. But those of us who didnt play Melee or havent miraculously had a chance to use Inkling, Daisy or Ridley yet? Seriously if theyve been playable before let me know.

I mean would you rather they get it over with in 6 months or drag it over 5 years like Death Stranding? Is there a balance between "Show me something else" levels of oversaturation or "Just release it already" levels of dragging it out?

I mean you cant exactly blame Nintendo for only having Smash for the holiday when the other big game is a freaking REMAKE which only exists because TPCi, a company Nintendo doesnt actually influence much, decided early on that Switch wasnt worth it and then had to oh crap a game together.

Nintendo is literally holding this thing up by themselves well even their closest partners get over their pessimism.

Honestly at that point Id just stop making hardware. There is no consumer of developer confidence in the platform now.

Kidfried

@Knuckles-Fajita I don't really know what you're getting at. Just stating I'm not over the moon for the new Smash (and don't expect I'll be hyped). That's about the content they're delivering. I'm not someone who cares about how much a company is showing, because I can decide for myself to not look at every trailer - like I didn't watch all footage for God of War and Spider-Man. That's personal responsibility.

However, for Smash I did watch everything, because what I saw didn't convince me yet. I just don't care for it, because it doesn't bring anything new. It's the same game as Wii U from what I've seen, and a few new characters won't change that. "New" is new mechanics or features. Like MGS5, that suddenly became open world, or God of War that went full Norse mythology, or Zelda, that changed its whole formula.

I don't care about Pokemon at all, but I honestly think the Pokemon Company is in no way doing "bad" by Nintendo. They're making a main game in the series in about every three years. The last one (Sun/Moon) released in 2016, so everyone should have expected the next one to release in 2019... which they announced. And who knows what Intelligent is cooking up.

And I get that there's a lot of negativity surrounding the GO/Switch game. Well, it's not a main game. It's another quick cash in for the Pokemon Company, just like they release tons and tons of cash-ins. You can ignore games like Pokemon Shuffle and Picross, so you can ignore this GO thing as well.

Oh, and I'm not full of negativity or anything surrounding the Switch. I still thinks Mario Tennis looks cool, I'll play Octopath Traveler along the way.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Also, just talking predictions. Some wild stuff.

• I've had this billion dollar idea for Smash for aaaaages: an 8-bit or 16-bit mode, with all characters in that style.
  • Echo characters: Paper Mario (long overdue), Wooly Yoshi/Kirby, Dixie Kong.
  • New character: Chibi-Robo.
  • A campaign in which your character doesn't start out with all possible moves or something, you need to unlock them and power them up. A very RPG-y campaign would be awesome.

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried We already know what Intelligent is cooking up. It's coming in the Spring instead of 2018 like they said

I think the reason I mentioned Pokemon is because c'mon. Junichi Masuda stated before XY he wanted the 3DS to sell more first,, forgetting the fact that HIS franchise is a guaranteed system seller.

And then the President of the Pokemon Company told Nintendo, this will fail. When you biggest 2nd party property that literally swims in gold and silver (HA) says it'll flop, you have got minimum confidence around you.

I mean, AlphaDream are recruiting for PS4 development. Monster Hunter jumped ship and is only being localised because of Nintendo. SquareEnix only just saw success on the platform with Unreal Engine 4, despite stating UE4 is why DQ11 is having issues coming...which makes no sense because Octopath showed up using outdated iterations first....odd.

Let's be real. Even if Switch sold as well as humanly possible, the stigma will remain. Nintendo has to propel the system first, but then what? You put all your heavy hitters out, prove there is an audience and then...first party gets dry.

It's literally the B-Tier machine. That's the only games it will get going ahead. Trials, watered down FIFA, F2P games, spin-offs. The fact that to this day it fails to get Day and Date releases is incredible, and the delays are always met with silence.

Nintendo is leaning on Smash because the exciting stuff got pushed back. Why? Who knows. The Yoshi game, well those never come out on time, and I guess Intelligent Systems just dont know how HD works, so delay it. That leaves us with a party game, Smash, a remake of a game from 1998 that has less complexity than the original (But will actually be playable this time!), Mega Man 11, outside of Europe anyway, DragonBall FighterZ that really shouldn't be this late, Tales of Vesperia, on everything else, and Dark Souls, should that game come out at all.

And next year will be Bayonetta 3, no doubt 720p maybe 60fps if we are lucky. Then Metroid, probably dynamic 900p resolution to hit 60fps like Odyssey does. Yoshi will be fine.

You're saying all you had to look forward to first party wise this year is Mario Tennis and Octopath, which is fine. All I have to look forward to is Smash. Literally it. Mario sports never hooked me and I don't do Turn Based RPGs. After Smash? Well the next first party game that's doing it for me is whenever Metroid or Bayonetta drop, baring any surprises of course, you never know.

And to be blunt, the PS side isn't much rosier. I can only hear about Death Stranding so many times. Naughty Dog's modern titles fail to interest me, Tsushima looks fine but lord knows what year that's coming out. I don't care about Spider-Man because the little sod never particularly endeared to me like most of Marvel, and God of War just isn't my kind of game.

All I have to look forward to this year is Spyro, may it please be good, and Smash. After that...er...yeah. Games.

At least you've got stuff to play!

Kidfried

@Knuckles-Fajita True, I can see the frustration. And for all the success the Switch has, it looks like it faces some of the same hurdles the Vita faced, and Nintendo in the recent past as well.

I still think there's ton of good stuff to play, but of course that can differ from person to person. I find it very difficult to discern your gaming taste, as I feel ours are pretty far apart.

I just play a lot of older games anyway. I hardly keep up with what's new. And I'm just the type of person that will try very hard to like any game. I never thought I'd like Bloodborne a bit, but ended up loving it so much for instance.

If I compare nowadays with the era of the GameCube/PS2, I can only be very optimistic about the coming fall. Back then I'd wait for 2 or 3 games a year and I'd play a lot of junk in between. And when I say junk, I mean the From Russia With Love game, and I don't even like James Bond.

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried You filled the time with junk food back then too huh? XD

I don't know. I may pick up FighterZ on Switch if this weekend's BETA impresses me. Of course I'm waiting for Dark Souls to come out sometime before I turn 23. Maybe a few smaller things here and there but in terms of large "Inject it into my veins titles" I only have two.

One is Smash, and one is a remake of the first game I ever played starring a little purple dragon. So quite important to me.

My gaming tastes are quite....eclectic I suppose. I admit that. No one can really pinpoint what I enjoy. Heck it even polarises from one similar game to the next.

Ralizah

I enjoy Smash, but unless they reveal some ambitious modes or gameplay alterations, I don't see the point in this. Especially if it's another 40 minutes of them going into minutiae that only hardcore fans care about.

They might have over-focused on BotW in 2016, but that game was also a hugely ambitious experiment in open-world design for Nintendo. I watched hours of footage of that game and couldn't get enough.

Smash, though? Smash is Smash. People know what Smash is like. And I've seen nothing so far that convinces me this is anything more than an Anniversary title meant to get another multi-million selling franchise on the Switch in time for Christmas.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

Isnt that true of all multiplayer focused games though? They live and die by community. A hypothetical Overwatch 2 cant stray too far from the prior less they alienate the people keeping it alive.

That's the ultimate problem with games like Smash, Splatoon, Street Fighter etc. We only need one.

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita It doesn't HAVE to be an entirely multiplayer-focused experience, though. Splatoon 2 managed to have a decent story mode and an absolutely stellar DLC campaign. It has characters, cutscenes, exploration, items to find, etc. In a game where the focus is still squarely on the online component.

What's Smash's excuse?

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Smash's excuse is the same as why most of the Wii U's good ideas are gone

People reacted in such a vitriolic "this sucks" manner that they simply said "okay not doing that again"

Octane

I wish ARMS had a single player campaign like Splatoon. Missed opportunity IMO!

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Yup. It's one reason why I have yet to pick the game up. Also, while Splatoon's motion-controlled aiming is brilliant, I can't say the same for ARMS' touchy motion gesture controls.

ARMS was an interesting experiment. Maybe they'll make something substantive out of it one day.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah I think there was a demo once, I tried it out, but I only used the buttons. The controls were a bit weird, but I expected the motion controls to be more intuitive.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Besides the touchiness that results in unintended inputs, the fact that all of the character movement was also motion-controlled really stressed me out. When I play Splatoon, I can still move my character around with the analog stick, but in ARMS, both movement and combat are controlled by motion. I just don't think it works very well.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic