Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 7,477

Ralizah

@KratosMD Well, you can redeem gold coins for discounts on games, remember. But the amount of money back you get on physical games is something ridiculously small, whereas you get 5% back from downloads. It's still better to go for a used or discounted new game if you're not specifically looking to go digital, though.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Oh. Well, good luck with that. My Nintendo has been terrible since its inception. I'm just glad I have something I can actually do with gold coins now (besides buy wallpapers for my phone that I won't use, that is).

It's a nice bonus for people who go digital and/or digital-only games, but it'll never be preferable to getting the same game a good deal cheaper, second hand or otherwise.

Octane

@KratosMD Gold points are almost worthless, especially for physical games. I believe it's 1%? So you're saving $0.60 per physical game. Even a $5 discount is more worth than that. Not a big loss I'd say.

Octane

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Ralizah Thanks for the lowdown! Definitely will try and keep all of that in mind.
Just opened up 40+ common cores... . Split them evenly between Rex and Nia. Didn't get anything particularly great during Rex's loot box session, but on my first go with Nia I did get 5 * Perun- so that was great!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Ralizah

So, anyone who isn't playing Hollow Knight... seriously consider playing Hollow Knight. It's one of the best indies on the system. I can see why people have been raving about it!

@Fight_Teza_Fight The RNG in that game is funny. Perun is great, but I didn't get her until nearly 80 hours in.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah I'm getting it this weekend - think it is going to be a gift for Fathers day from my kids. Been waiting for a console version since it was first announced!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego Really happy they went all in on this hybrid version of the game before focusing on pure home consoles. It looks beautiful on both the TV and the tablet!

@KratosMD Think of it as a sort of cross between a 2D Metroidvania and a Souls game... except, unlike Souls games, it doesn't attempt to obfuscate its mechanics or throw you into challenges you're not ready for. But it has the moodiness, deep lore, and indirect narrative delivery methods you'd expect in a Souls game. It's challenging, for sure, but the difficulty curve has been very fair so far. The game's animation looks hand-drawn, like Cuphead's, and it's absolutely stunning to look at. The music is really evocative, too. It's just a really, really well-done game all-around.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Yeah, and that's just the base game. The Switch port comes with a bunch of DLC expansions included, presumably making it even longer.

Well, that's cool. I am eager to hear your impressions on Pirate's Curse when you get to it, though. Even as someone who enjoyed previous Shantae games, it still exceeded my expectations big time.

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah I think they made a good choice - being such a long game, being handheld is just perfect and it is going to get a better reception on Switch then PS4 or XB. From what I have seen, they've also taken time to get it right rather than make a shoddy port. Plus the price point is great value.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

belmont

@Ralizah Thanks for the heads-up, seemed like my kind of game. Downloading Hollow Knight now for 11 pounds! Seems to be a console exclusive as well. Also got Golf Story in discount and preordered and loaded Octopath. See you in a few years

Anyway playing Bayonetta 2 know. It is way better than 1 imho. There are some bugs, sometimes when I pause of undock the game looses the sound till the next load!!

belmont

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego Yep, the versatility of the system is why some multiplats I had previously dismissed due to their length or whatever are catching my eye on the Switch. This thing is going to be awesome when I go on vacation!

@belmont For the moment. Team Cherry is planning on porting it to the other consoles as well, I believe, but I wouldn't expect it before next year. But yeah, even though I'm kind of burnt out on Metroidvanias due to recent overexposure, this one is really doing it for me.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Risky's Revenge is the shortest and easiest game in the series (well, pre-DLC Half-Genie Hero might rival it in terms of the length and ease of difficulty, come to think of it), so I'd wait for a sale. I got it on PSN for around $3 or so at one point. Pirate's Curse also goes on sale once in a while in the U.S., so I can't imagine the rest of the world isn't getting discounts on it either.

Another thing maybe worth considering: even though these games aren't story-heavy, there is continuity between the original three games, and Risky's Revenge sets up Pirate's Curse.

Pirate's Curse blows it away in terms of quality, though.

It's really up to you. I thought the price of Pirate's Curse was fine, but then I also repurchased the game at full price on the Wii U, and am heavily considering purchasing it again on the Switch. It's one of my favorite games, so I'm not in a position to be objective.

But yeah, in terms of bang for your buck, Hollow Knight smokes most other games on the system (Stardew Valley has it beat, considering it's a 50+ hour game for $20, but I got bored with it around 22 hours in).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Not a bad strategy. It's not unusual for both games to go on sale at the same time.

Half-Genie Hero is kind of a soft reboot. It doesn't really address any story developments from previous games and sets the relationships between the various characters back to zero, so it could probably be played whenever. Just FYI. I would only recommend that one if it goes on sale. The art-style is cute, but that's about it.

I wish WayForward would remake the first Shantae. It's a lovely little game, but very rough around the edges, and unnecessarily cramped feeling due to the limits of the GBC. An HD remake that retains the difficulty, complex dungeons, etc. while also making QOL changes would be fantastic.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@KratosMD Yeah, if they added additional dialogue and improved upon the design limitations of the original, it might be, as you say, a near perfect game. The Zero Mission to Pirate's Curse's Super Metroid.

As to HGH: look, if they wanted to change the genre and go full linear platformer, I'd be cool with that. But it doesn't commit to the change in style, so it becomes this mediocre mish-mash of different gameplay styles. The streamlined level design of a linear platformer combined with the extensive backtracking of a Metroidvania, which gives you the worst of both worlds.

Also, the character writing is generic and awful, especially compared to the wonderful character writing in Pirate's Curse where the personalities clash constantly and there's this interesting bond of trust that develops between Shantae and Risky Boots.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD 128GB. Its nearly full but of my 39 games, only 6 are physical.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@KratosMD I'm using a 128GB card, AND I download most of my retail games. I haven't come close to filling it up yet, but once the time comes that I start running out of space, I'll just delete games I've finished and don't care to replay for a while. I've never understood why so many people seem to horde downloads that, for all intents and purposes, they're done with. Especially on the Switch, where you can just archive the game: it frees up the space the game took up, but the icon and save data remain, leaving it a part of your digital "collection."

If you're not willing to delete games you're done with, then I'd say:
128 GB if you don't plan on buying large Western games that require you to download half the data, like LA Noire
256 if you plan on buying large Western games etc. etc.

128 GB should be more than enough for demos, indies, patches, and DLC, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Meanwhile I'm still hacking my way through Hyrule Warriors. 40 hours in, I've completed Legend Mode on Normal & am 41% complete with the base Adventure Map, and I think 16% complete on the Wind Waker map. No way I'm going to do everything, but it's been a fun time. I like using most characters, but I'm not very good with Midna (imp), Ruto, or Agatha. I really like Ganondorf, Volga, Link(s), Zelda, and... well most characters that have a more standard fighting style.

After watching some reviews of the PS4 version and gameplay previews of the Switch version I think Ys VIII will be my next purchase (at least until I watch some videos of Wolfenstien II, throwing my decision up in the air, lol).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kyleforrester87

128gb. Anymore isn't worth it at the moment (cost versus benefit of the extra space). In a few years prices of bigger cards will go down and you can upgrade for cheaper if you need to. But I plan on getting by just by deleting stuff off my current card. No way do I need 128gb software installed at one time.

Same with my 1tb PS4 hard drive. As long as I'm not hoarding it's more than enough room.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic