Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 7,477

Ralizah

@KratosMD I know a lot of people on here don't seem to enjoy playing on handheld systems, but for me the Switch is increasing my interest in games I was otherwise ignoring on home consoles, as I just don't love playing games only on the TV. Sometimes you pay a price for that (literally, with the so-called Switch Tax on certain games, and figuratively with games that have lower framerate/resolution when compared to home console versions), but, overall, it's making the Switch a very attractive third party platform for me.

One note about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, just so you're fully informed: the game was not optimized with undocked play in mind. It's gorgeous when docked, but in handheld mode the resolution drops way down below the Switch's 720p display, particularly in certain, more open areas, making it look rather rough in comparison. It's my one big misgiving about the game, and it's the reason I played it primarily on the TV.

Most Switch games look great in both modes, though. Xenoblade 2 is a weird exception.

With that said, I still played it undocked when grinding, doing side-quests, or other activities where I didn't care too much about the visual fidelity of the game. But for story moments, visiting new areas, etc. I'd really recommend docking it. Some of the environments in this game are absolutely stunning.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

I wouldn't say Xenoblade 2 is great even docked. The resolution is just straight up bad sometimes in both handheld and docked. And the frame rate can take some real dives. Behind all that though the art direction is beautiful, and eventually you fall in love with it and the technical problems drift into the background.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

KirbyTheVampire

Nintendo has really dropped the ball this year. All I care to buy is Smash. I just hope they announce a few more games for the latter half of the year, because right now it's shockingly barren.

I'm sure 2019 will be better. At least, I hope so.

KirbyTheVampire

Tasuki

I don't know it seems that every year I feel less and less contected with Nintendo then I did when I was younger. I don't know of I am just tired of gaming in general or what but the stuff I saw from PS especially Spiderman I can't wait for. But Smash no interest, Fortnite on the Switch no interest.

I just don't know.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki Its not the system for you, but the PS4 is. I think its that simple. Tastes change as you age. Just like how I went in the opposite direction, how some went from SEGA to Xbox to PC, or from Amstrad to Saturn to PC.

You go where the things that interest you are. If it doesn't interest you, dont worry about it. Nothing is for everyone and you certainly aren't alone nor should you feel distressed.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@KratosMD Just so you know, those 80 DLC stages can range anywhere between short challenges and proper levels. I doubt it's longer than the main campaign.

The online modes are good though.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

So...Fortnite on Switch has voice chat via the system, not the app.

Soooo.....we are using the app....because....?

Haruki_NLI

@Octane ...Should've seen that coming.

We paid $300 for a damn underclocked 2015 tablet XD Now we have a whopping one interesting game for the entirety of 2018 that is quite literally in every sense of the word recycling content.

Smash Ultimate - It's Smash's 20th anniversary game, everyone is back!

Super Mario Party - How much can actually be new?

Pokemon Let's Go - It's a REMAKE!

Kirby - Lackluster, not a lot actually refreshing about it

Wii U Ports - Literal recycling

DragonBall FighterZ - Yay...8 months late.

Monster Hunter - A year late localisation of a port of a re-release of a re-release.

Okami - A HD remaster of a HD remaster of a PS2 game, coming later than the other HD remaster of the HD remaster.

Get me some alcohol because if this is the next 5 years I wanna plug my PS4 back in.

Ralizah

I'm the opposite of Tasuki. Sony's games are high-quality, for sure, but I find they resonate less and less with me as time goes on. But I can't wait for the new Fire Emblem game.

Thankfully, third parties keep PS4 very relevant for me. Persona 5, Yakuza 0, REmake 2... they're worth the price of admission, I think.

@kyleforrester87 Xenoblade GENERALLY stays around 720p in the dock, with the occasional dip here and there. Framerate... for me it's like unpatched BotW. Mostly solid, but with shaky spots. The game could definitely use a boost all around, but it's generally a really pretty game on the TV (on my 1080p monitor, anyway!), whereas it's rough on the tablet. Playable, but rough.

But, yeah, it's a very lovable game. I would have probably dropped most other Switch games out of disgust if they had all these little niggling issues with them, but Xenoblade 2 was a wonderful experience all-around, despite my misgivings with it. Which, to me, is the sign of a fundamentally solid game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Fight_Teza_Fight

Unfortunately there was nothing for me at the E3 Direct.

No interest in Captain Toad, Dark Souls & FIFA.
Already have Fighter Z & will probably buy Smash a couple of years from now as a good 'party' game.

As for Pokemon...
I love Pokemon & a nice looking box art goes a long way with me, so I've started getting my head around to a more casual Pokemon experience.
However, after that Treehouse gameplay...I.Just.Can't.
Think the day Let's Go comes out, is the day I'll go pick up a 2DS and a copy of Ultra Sun/Moon, pretend like this isn't a thing and wait for Pokemon 2019.

I'm really surprised at the lack of Switch announcement at E3 in general. I've always maintained that the Switch will struggle to receive 'major' publisher Switch support, but given it's success I expected more. I thought there would be a lot of 'coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC AND Nintendo Switch!'.
Fire Emblem (2019) looked great though. Will keep an eye out for it. Not had much interest in the series before.

I've been very disappointed with E3 in general. I'm still excited for the same games as before, sequels that I could do without (but will still buy) and there are very few new IPs that interest me.

I've clocked up about 20 hours (midway through chapter 2) in XBC2 and here are my impressions:
I'm enjoying it. I got my head around the notion that this isn't a traditional AAA game. A lot of it feels very 'B-tier' imo. I've settled on Japanese audio now & I'm liking it alot- infinitely better than the English.
The combat is really starting to click now too. It has a lot more depth to it than I first thought.
Some of the action cutscenes are incredible! Very anime-esque.
The main casts is hit and miss with me. I like Rex, Torra and Poppi, the rest are just there. Pyra in particular I dislike. Stereotypical big busted, shy and caring character that is good at cooking. Seems like she was designed to cater to a certain audience.
Minor gripes aside, it's been a solid 8/10 experience. I don't think it'll match the greatness of the first game though, as that is one of the best JRPGs ever made.

I've not been using my core crystals. I figured they would be better use, later in the game. Is that a sound tactic or should I just use them when I feel like it?

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Tasuki

@Knuckles-Fajita I guess that could be it, kinda like two friends growing apart over the years. I gave Arms a fair chance same with Splatoon but I don't know they just didn't hold my interest. I guess part of me wants the big third party support like Nintendo did during the NES and SNES eras instead of having to go elseware for that, if that makes sense at all.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

johncalmc

Sigh.

On the plus side I still haven't played the Mario/Rabbids thing or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze so they can be my 2018 games. You see this Nintendo? I'm making my own release schedule because you suck.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

So caught up on all the E3 shenanigans related to Nintendo and I have to somewhat agree with all the assessments. Here is where I think Nintendo have gone a bit wobbly - in the Switch's first year, there really was a clear release schedule. The messaging was very clear.

This year, the messaging is not as clear. Now Nintendo can't pull major first party titles out of their a*se in a matter of months and I get the double down on fan favourites but I do think they are going to struggle.

What is also clear, in my mind, is that third party development is clearly going to be an issue. I think this is down to ease of porting. The simple maths of third party support when it comes to releasing on multiple platforms is - are sales going to just the cost of bringing a game to a platform? Now the Switch is getting a good sized install base, sure. But E3 demonstrated that major AAA development is all about mega budget graphics fests. There is no simple port of Assasins Creed Origins that can run quickly and easily on a Switch, it needs a lot of time (that's if it can be made to run at all). That means no way are these games going to launch simultaneously and the dev effort is greater than launching on XB, PS and PC. So we come back to the cost/revenue discussion. The cost is high and it means it has to make more revenue to make it worthwhile. Or it means bespoke development - a la EA and Fifa. Now that costs even more than a straight port and is a bigger risk. So Nintendo either have to help fund ports or bespoke versions or have some sort of incentive for third party publishers to do so.

I think it is crazy when I see reports that state, new game announced no plans for a Switch version. Of course not. Which is the challenge. I'm hoping that if sales remain bullish then there will be the incentive for bespoke games from third parties because that is the only way third party franchises are coming to Switch on the whole.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@kyleforrester87 Couldn’t get my head around to it. All a bit too British for me- which I get enough of at home!
I hardly ever play with Japanese voice acting, but after Yakuza I’m more inclined to give them a shot.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Octane

@KratosMD Well, it's their biggest handheld actually. The game cards are tiny as well.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Hmm the Octopath demo was there yesterday (check on the Coming Soon list), but yes, maybe they did delete it in advance of the new one.

kyleforrester87

Rudy_Manchego

@KratosMD Have you tried licking the game card? It's a rite of passage for all new Switch owners. At least that's what my friends told me.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD there is a bit of movement on the rail between the joycons and tablet, not gunna fall out but I don't like doing shaking motions when prompted on games like Mario. Seems to apply a lot of stress to the rails!

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic