Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 2,130

finalstan

@Ralizah Don't get me wrong, it is still one of my favourite RPGs ever, with one of the most memorable, bonkers and unexpected endings, great overall story and fantastic gameplay. But XC2 is superior to it in every concievable way.

finalstan

PSN: Ezofil

Ralizah

@finalstan It's amazing we got a JRPG that good in the Switch's first year! For me, it was everything I wanted the original Xenoblade Chronicles to be. I was a bit iffy about downloading it at first, given my love/hate relationship with previous Xenoblade games, but I'm glad I jumped when I did. It's definitely my favorite Xeno- game overall at this point.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee have registered domain names now. The company doing this apparently registered previous Pokemon games as well. Looks like they might be real after all.

Reactions should be interesting when they're officially revealed.

KratosMD

@Ralizah I for one really hope this turns out to be true. I don't care if the catching mechanics will be like Pokémon Go, just make the next game vastly different from the previous entries in some way! I'm currently playing Alpha Sapphire on the 3DS and while it's a remake of my first ever Pokémon game, I find the gameplay to be boring now that I have accrued so much experience from the past 10 years of playing Pokémon that it doesn't feel challenging anymore. I just want new stuff that I'm not familiar with in order to make the game more interesting.

And a remake of Pokémon Yellow doesn't hurt either. I've said this in the past, Nintendo should just focus on existing regions instead of constantly creating new ones with new Pokémon. If they keep making new ones, Pokémon collecting will not be sustainable in the future as we are already nearing 1000 Pokémon.

A reboot of the franchise is exactly what we need right now. Sun/Moon were great games but they weren't different enough from X/Y.

(I still hope though that we get remakes of Diamond/Pearl on the 3DS, lol)

"To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly"
"They fail to live because they are always preparing to live" - Alan Watts
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ralizah

@KratosMD I mean... based on what we've heard, it could be awful, but it could also be an interesting take that revitalizes the gameplay. It depends on what they mean by "Pokemon Go mechanics when capturing Pokemon." Could be as drastic as not having to battle (which, honestly, I kind of doubt), or as minor as having the option of opting for the freer pokeball throwing found in Go.

Either way, I'm disappointed as usual to see people trashing this before we even know anything for sure.

Personally, I'm not deeply invested in the meta from game to game, so something that really distinguishes itself could be a lot of fun. I'm also looking forward to returning to Kanto (again, in beautiful HD this time!). And, if the rest of the leaked information is true, HM's won't be returning (thank GOD) and your starter Pokemon will follow you around on the map, which was a lot of fun in Yellow.

YummyHappyPills

@KratosMD I can understand people wanting Pokemon to be vastly different but you need to realise.

Being like Pokemon Go is not a GOOD kind of different. Reduce catching to looking at a screen and throwing a ball in hopes it works without actually battling the Pokemon first to make it easier. Levelling up involves CP instead of EXP and evolution is tied to candy.

Plus, Nintendo doesn't get to say what the games do. That's TPCi and GameFreak. People really need to remember Nintendo doesn't get much say in Pokemon.

Im okay with them focusing on existing regions...but...

Kanto. Kanto. Kanto. Gen 1 in general. Can it go away?

It may not seem like it to you, but Sun and Moon benefitted in sales from the Pokemon Go hype without watering anything down. But not only that, for long time Pokemon fans happy to finally have a home console game the news that it's Generation 1 AGAIN but HD is....bad.

This "Reboot" of the franchise is what Black and White was. Only new Pokemon for the story, new world, new focus on story. Boom. Did well. Then XY happened. Hey remember Gen 1?

As a casual Pokemon fan I can gather the notion of Kanto being used as a stick to beat players to death with hasn't happened yet for you XD

Gen 1 - R/B/Y: We go to Kanto
Gen 2 - G/S/C: You return to Kanto
Gen 3 - FR/LG: You remade Kanto
Gen 4 - Pt/HG/SS: You involve Professor Oak and the legendary birds (Pt), you remade Kanto AGAIN (HG/SS)
Gen 6 - X/Y: You get given the Kanto starters not even 5 hours in. Kanto Pokemon are everywhere. The only legendaries besides the 3 new ones added are the Birds and Mewtwo in a cave. A lot of Mega Evolution went to Gen 1 stuff. Charizard and Mewtwo for some reason get TWO Mega Evolutions. Team Flare right up to the climax acts exactly like Team Rocket, stealing fossils for money, PokeBalls, Pokemon...
Gen 7 - S/M/US/UM: Red and Blue show up. Lillie/Gladion go to Kanto. Alolan Forms are added...only for Kanto Pokemon. Team Rocket shows up again.

We have been beaten over the head with Kanto so much recently that...honestly I agree, go back to previous regions, but for God's sake can it be anywhere else but the place we find ourselves in every game despite being in a different part of the world? XD

Sign up for the NL Inklings Splatoon 2 Tournament on June 9th: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

mookysam

Setting future Pokémon games in existing regions would be nice actually, especially with modern graphics (not crappy 3DS ones) but to make it work I reckon Game Freak would need to come up with some compelling and well written stories. Are they up to that task? If they just keep pumping out 3DS style Pokémon games are people really going to be happy with that when the Switch can do so much more?

What I like about the idea of a Yellow remake (or better yet, reimagining) is it could go deeper into Team Rocket's motives. It could even utilise more elements from the anime like the Clefairy at Mt. Moon, or the Cubone from Pokémon Origins in Lavender Town. Things like that would give more context to individual locations and really enrich the game world.

Switch FC: SW-7078-8737-1884

PSN: mookysam

YummyHappyPills

Honestly the involvement of Team Rocket may be a tad different this time. The ending to USUM revealed that Giovanni and Team Rainbow Rocket can universe hop and he acts pretty much unopposed.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Splatoon 2 Tournament on June 9th: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

KratosMD

@mookysam Since we've already had remakes of gen 1, I can't imagine the Switch game being another "3DS style" game. If it's going to be a reboot, perhaps they will go a step beyond and actually make the game entirely open world, as well as adding more towns, more events and in general more story in between gym battles. Otherwise it would feel kinda lazy.. I'm expecting it to be more than that.

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YummyHappyPills

You know its kinda funny.

The notion of seeing the Gen 1 starters again. Battling Team Rocket again. Seeing Red and Blue. Seeing all the old Pokemon again.

That sounds AWESOME to have all that in one package.

Except we just had all that dripfed to us over 5 years.

Honestly if they hadn't done that, I think long time fans would be down for it.

A good example actually is the Death Egg Robot in Sonic Generations. That's cool...but you just did that in Sonic 4 a year prior. Or bringing back Chemical Plant in Sonic Mania....but you just did that in Generations.

For nostalgia to be effective it has to be the first time in a LONG time.

YummyHappyPills

Am I the only one looking forward to this? That's a shame...

RR529

Finally completed Atelier: Lydie & Suelle. A decent JRPG, but I thought it dragged on for what it is (I got the most basic ending, and still put over 65 hours into it). Not that I mind long games, but this certainly isn't on the same level as BotW or XC2, so I wish it had been a bit shorter.

Also picked up Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze this past Saturday. Just beat it yesterday, but I'm going back to unlock the A & B levels I missed. Not sure if I'll bother trying to unlock the K levels (it's a fun and well crafted game, but a bit hardcore for my tastes, lol).

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Ralizah

@RR529 The K-levels are a great test of skill. No checkpoints combined with pretty devious level design. One K-level, in particular, sees you moving across unstable platforms and jumping off enemies for the entirety of the level, so that you're never able to slow down or find "solid ground" until you reach the end.

Still the easiest DKC game I've played overall, though. Although I would argue it is also the most well-designed. The levels are wonderfully constructed.

KratosMD

Honestly, the first two K-levels gave me the most problems. The third and fourth were easier and the last two felt pretty short, but still hard.

Ralizah

Weirdly, I found the first two to be pretty easy (I mean, Bopopolis definitely killed me a few times, but it's ok once you get into a rhythm). 4-K killed me, like, 50 times before I beat it, though. Total nightmare of a level.

5-K was also pretty rough. Got me about 20 times before I beat it.

Edited on by Ralizah

johncalmc

Honestly I would buy flashy remakes of every Pokemon game for Switch. I mean, I've already bought remakes of some of them. But I want them with good graphics and stuff.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Octane

@mookysam @Ralizah Chances are it's going to look like this:

Untitled

I mean, seeing that image of a remade Kanto in XY/SM-style graphics, with Lapras surfing (i.e. no HMs) and Eevee following the trainer. That's eerily close to the leaked details that came with the Let's Go! Pikachu & Eevee leak. It may not get the graphical overhaul some are expecting.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Too bad the picture was captured with a potato.

I don't expect a massive graphical overhaul. I expect something that looks like an HD version of Sun and Moon, which I'm cool with, as the only reason Sun and Moon don't look spectacular is due to the low resolution textures and whatnot. The Pokemon models, in particular, scale up to 1080p really nicely. So add a little more detail to the models and you have a game that doesn't look out of place on an HDTV.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic