Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 7,480

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried Yes it is 60fps on any version.

Im saying id like games that ARENT 60fpson any system to give the option to downgrade visuals for 60fps

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Kidfried

@YummyHappyPills I know, but like I said... optimization is expensive. Rocket League is quite a unique game for offering it. For most games that isn't possible.

Kidfried

BAMozzy

@YummyHappyPills Its rare for that to happen outside of Pro/X. The difference with Pro/X though is that those 'may' be connected to 1080p TV's and they are offering a mode that HD TV owners benefit from - the higher frame rate and a mode that 4k TV owners benefit most from - the higher resolution.

With base consoles, they are almost certainly going to be connected to (at least) a full HD TV and there was enough backlash to games not running at 1080p for years that they may have felt reluctant to drop the resolution to PS3 levels. There are also a number of games that even if you drop the resolution in half, you still can't deliver 60fps. Even the Pro with more than a 2x increase in GPU + the 30% increase in CPU speed can't deliver games like Infamous or Rise of the Tomb Raider at the same 'visuals' as the base PS4. In fairness, even the X which renders Rise of the Tomb Raider at native 4k/30, can't run the game at a consistent 1080/60 - that's dropping the resolution down to a quarter. I don't think people would want to play PS4 games at 540p to get 50-60fps option.

The big issue is the CPU. It still has to do all work it has to do and that doesn't matter if the game is 540p or 1080p or 4k. Dropping the resolution may save a few thousandths of a second, but if they can't hit the 16.6ms to get the frame out, then it won't hit 60fps. That's why dropping Resolution doesn't always work. It may save some of the render time but it may not save enough time to hit the 16.6ms. If, for example, the CPU needs 20ms with all the AI, the physics etc, and the render at 1080p is 10ms, that's perfect to hit the 30fps and no matter what resolution, how much render time you save, you still can't save enough time to drop below 16.6ms.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

@BAMozzy That's a great comment by the way! I wish we had the option to like comments on the forums as well

Kidfried

Tasuki

Managed to play some more Mighty Gunvolt Burst tonight, finished off the last of the Mighty Numbers and now have what I can assume isn't he final level to do. However before I start the final part I want to get all the items in the levels first. Hopefully I will finish this game before Bayonetta 1 and 2 comes out.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Tasuki Seen your posts about Might Gunvolt Burst and just looked up a video review. Looks great! Added to the wish list .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Octane

@johncalmc Didn't they tell you about the cardboard peripheral you need in order to access the online service?

Joking aside, the online service is already live. It's free. If anyone seriously thinks it's going to change a lot, you're wrong. The only difference will be the paywall, and maybe a couple of 'free' NES games to sweeten the deal.

Octane

johncalmc

@Octane I couldn't give a fig about the actual online service since I'm almost certainly not going to jump through the necessary hoops and then navigate the Saw deathtrap of wires required to get chat up and running so I can play... Splatoon? I just want the NES/SNES games.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Octane

@johncalmc I'm certain they'll be offered at some point as well. They've done that on all of their consoles since the Wii.

Octane

Ralizah

I'm not paying just for online. I've already sold Splatoon 2, and I don't care about online in Mario Kart. And NES games? Nah.

Online storage, Nintendo. I'll pay $20 a year just for access to the cloud. Make it happen!

KratosMD wrote:

I'm personally really looking forward to seeing that Mario kart smartphone game.

I can't tell if this is genuine or sarcastic. The internet really needs a sarcasm font.

I was looking forward to Nintendo's smartphone games, but so far, they've almost all been a disappointment. Miitomo... well, there's a reason that stupid thing is being shut down. Super Mario Run is... NSMB, but in endless runner form. Not terrible, but nothing exciting, either. FE Heroes is gimped and a total RNG fest that is too microtransaction-encouraging for my tastes. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp just doesn't have the charm of the actual AC games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

I don't game on my phone, interested to see what Nintendo do with MK though. I'm sure my partner will love it.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@KratosMD I wasn't criticizing you for being excited for the Mario Kart smartphone game, I just wasn't sure what the tone of your post was supposed to be. Simmer down.

Haruki_NLI

Its almost as if theyve stated the smartphone games are to get people interested in the main games on their systems...

Dear God imagine if FE gets that boost like Pokemon did.

Im fairly confident Fire Emblem will be one of their holiday games this year.

If course Pokemon ALSO has a chance of 2018 as we now know, and Yoshi could be down there too.

Oh and we have the month of third party stuff that will no doubt be headlined by Octopath Traveler and TWEWY.

So while this year isnt amazing for me, as I just never got into FE, theres still plenty there.

Shame I ended up just dropping XC2 though. Was so hyped for that and its just...a game that exists that I dont want to play.

Now if we get an XCX port y'all are gonna lose me to the twilight zone.

@Ralizah Remember we just dont understand his unbiased opinion.

Im one of those people who has a weird life divide.

My phone is my phone.
My PC is where I work.
Consoles are where I play.

I need that divide.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Haruki_NLI

As MK often sells so insanely well Id bet next to mainline Mario and sort of Pokemon (as Nintendo only part owns the company) its their top seller.

Ralizah

I'm actually a little surprised that SMO has sold better than MK8D so far. It's nice to see those kinds of sales for a 3D Mario game.

Tasuki

@Fight_Teza_Fight Yeah I am having alot of fun with it. I have yet to play it in dock mode as it's mainly the game I play when the tv is in use or before I go to bed at night. It's one of those games that you can pick up play a few and feel satisfied playing it, especially with all the items you can find in the levels and challenges to do. And as I said the customization adds a deeper level to the game. If you do get it I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

My Backlog

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Tasuki Definitely on the list. I'll get it once I get through Owlboy & the Bayonetta collection. Game looks fun, but I was surprised at how deep the customisation is (adjusting wave lengths & properties, reflections...).

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Tasuki

@Fight_Teza_Fight Yeah and for the price it's a good deal. I am hoping to be able to wrap it up before Bayonetta comes out at least with Beck. I will still need to do a.playthrough with Gunvolt as well.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic