Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 7,479

mookysam

In Mario Odyssey has anyone successfully done the Jump rope challenge in New Donk City or the volleyball? I have an arthritic condition and cannot physically press the button that quickly to jump or throw the cap. I did the basic challenges easily enough but the genius jump rope one can go where the sun don't shine.

Playing Mario in handheld mode I get about 2 1/2 hours out of the battery which is honestly quite crap. Is this the average for more graphically intense games? It will seriously impact the portability of the thing. I get the same out of my 3DS but to be fair that is nearly 7 years old.

@RR529 I don't mind the futuristic malarkey but it is quite different. Lanayru was the coolest area of Skyward Sword though and it kinda reminds me of that. I'm going to start Breath of the Wild at some point in the week. I did get quite far on the Wii U version but rather than finish that I'm going to do it all over again. 😅

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Octane

@mookysam 2.5 hours for big games like Mario or Zelda.

And yeah, I hate those challenges too.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@mookysam I've heard some people use the motor scooter for the jump rope challenge due to its weight. No idea how useful that will be but I feel your pain...literally.

Of course you can always skip it. There is a post game feature that lets you hit the Moon quota in game without doing everything.

Regarding battery life, 2.5/3 hours for huge games is the norm, especially ones that run at full resolution on the screen and have a lot of processing to do in terms of loading/spawing/calculating various things, and with Zelda being quite physics heavy and wide open, as well as Mario having very dense areas, it's quite a strain on any battery.

Plus, if you open the Switch you will see inside the little thing there is actually no free space at all! which blows my mind. They couldn't physically put a larger battery in there without making the system less portable, namely bigger than it already is, which some feel is too big to be portable.

They could maybe use a higher capacity battery but that leads to an issue of too much in too small a space, which led to stuff like the Note 7 incident. Too much power in a small package with today's sadly stagnant battery industry isn't a wise move, as it just leads to overloading and swelling.

They could have used the Tegra X1 with Pascal architecture, which would if nothing else for performance, get a little more out of the battery life, but at that point it would probably not be worth it.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@mookysam For the jump rope genius moon, after the rope stops speeding up, try throwing your hat at the apex of your jump. It'll allow you to get to 100+ jumps without having to press the button as quickly, thanks to the delay caused by the hat throw.

As for volleyball, switch to 2 player mode, position Mario in a corner of the court, and use cappy to hit the ball. It's WAY easier.

@RR529 Yeah, BotW is bordering on science fantasy at points. It's an incredibly interesting change for the series.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

kyleforrester87

Do we think Wind Waker will make it over to the Switch? I haven't played it since it came out on GameCube, I'd be very interested in buying it again..

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Hmm maybe. I dunno, if it's made and ready to go (and they perhaps didn't sell many copies on Wii U) would it be tough for them to bring it over to Switch, even if it's download only?

kyleforrester87

Octane

@kyleforrester87 Wind Waker HD was a quick project. I think it took them only 6 months to make. And let's be honest, all the game needed was an increase in resolution. The addition of bloom and gradient shadow is another thing, but I don't think it made the game look better. The million+ sales on the Wii U was essentially free money. No porting required either, since the Wii U runs GameCube games natively.

The best case solution is that they make their old games available on the eShop at some point. Up to N64 can be emulated. Not sure about GameCube and Wii games though, they may need to be ported, which requires a lot more resources...

Octane

Tasuki

Still plugging away at Mighty Gunvolt Burst, So far I got all the hidden items in 4 stages and working on a few challenges (basically this games versions of trophies). Still can't believe how much content this game has for the price. Definitely a must have for Switch owners.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Kidfried

I put quite some hours into Zelda this weekend and... man, is it disappointing.

I wasn't really convinced of the game's greatness at first. And, having enough games to play on my PlayStation I put it aside for a while. Then among all GOTY discussions I just heard so many praise for the game. As well on this site. I couldn't ignore it any longer and tried it again over the weekend.

It combines every bad aspect of every open world game for me:

• The game world is bigger than it needs to be. There is so many repetition and places where there just isn't that much going on.
  • To enjoy this game you must love watching your stamina and health meter a lot.
  • Clearing outposts is not rewarding. Enemies respawn and the loot is hardly ever special at all.
  • Tied into the above point... loot just feels like you're grinding. Why am I going into this dungeon? To make the number of orbs go up, that makes my stamina/hearts go up. Why am I fighting the ancient monsters? To make the number of ancient tech I have go up, that makes my attack/defense number go up. Why am I... to have things go up.
  • Every time I see a place that I think must be really cool, I just find... amber or some resource.
  • All dungeons look the same.
  • The world is overwhelming.
  • The world design and your introduction to it is bad as well. Just go play The Witcher 3. You enter this place and immediately get confronted with a living world full of politics, struggles, side quests, etc. This game just doesn't suck you in at all.
  • Ubisoft towers.
  • Weird controls.

Sorry for the rant. I know many people here love this game, and I'll enjoy watching your defenses of it. I'm just (for the second time) really disappointed with this game. It just... doesn't click with me. I miss those imaginative dungeons and acquiring cool items like the Pegasus boots.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried Fair enough, it's a bit of a marmite game for sure. I just let it suck me in and explore without worrying about silly concepts such as "making progress"

kyleforrester87

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 Well, if the game presents me an outposts, I'll make an effort to kill the enemies. So one time, I'm stealthily shooting them with arrows (7 in total). Then finding a treasure chests. I WONDER WHAT'S IN IT, THIS IS SO EXCITING! It's five arrows of some kind. It's a mood killer.

But I get what you mean. The reward is the adventure you had, not the chest at the end. I just find it hard to have that kind of fun, when I'm constantly worried about the condition of my equipment and such.

Maybe I just worry too much. I've become quite old and grumpy these last few years!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried yeah that's pretty much it really. I think it helps if you can set aside some of your hang ups from past experiences playing other games, in particular how you quantify progress and reward for your effort. But still I can see why not everyone is going to love it. In that case you just kind of need to say as great as it may be, it ain't for me!

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@Octane Wind Waker HD made a number of useful improvements to the base game, though.

The swift sail, item management on the GamePad screen, and changes to the triforce shard quest near the end make it a vastly more enjoyable experience, in particular.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tasuki

@Kidfried I felt the same way with Breath of the Wild. As a Zelda fan I really wanted to enjoy this but for the reasons you pointed out I just didn't. I have been playing Assassin's Creed Origins the past few days and it makes me think if only they did Breath of the Wild like this it would be so much better.

While it's not a bad game it just feels incomplete.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Tasuki @Kidfried Feel the same way about BOTW.
Last thing I remember I left Link on top of a mountain picking up lightning arrows...that was 6 weeks ago.

I love the attention to detail, but I just find the game boring.
I'm still going to finish it one day, but it's fallen WAY down the pecking order.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

johncalmc

I can see why some people might not like Breath of the Wild. A lot of people have been throwing around the word "revolutionary" and other such superlatives, and it really isn't. It's revolutionary if you've only played Nintendo games for the last ten years but practically everything in it has been done elsewhere. In many ways it's just another open world game. But I think it does a lot of the stuff so much better than other games. The combat is a bit button mashy and I've already talked about why I hate the weapon degradation, but otherwise I think it nails it. Once I started it I couldn't put it down.

johncalmc

Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Kidfried Im gutted you have just posted this. We have similar tastes in games and Im about to buy BOTW

Ive said it before but ARMS is the only switch exclusive game which has retained my interest. Im hoping botw gels with me as at this point I cant envisage buying any more games as the reviews so far dont match my experience of any of the games. I think as a game fan and avid reader of gaming websites, the fact Yakuza zero, HZD and statik were overlooked last year in favour of Mario Odyssey and Rabbids kingdom battle is actually ridiculous. If botw is similarly wet then Im just sticking with PS purchases and listening to the pushsquare team for advice as I cant trust the overblown scoring on the switch exclusives from multiplat sites.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Octane

@themcnoisy It's overrated, and not a good Zelda game IMO. But plenty of people will tell you otherwise. It's best to try yourself I think.

Octane

themcnoisy

@Octane Thanks bro. I will do just that!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@themcnoisy It's not a bad game by any stretch. Don't worry about that. There is actually a lot of good in there, some great details and it does feel like a fresh game (and not just another Zelda). But with all the praise it's getting I expected it to be a modern classic, a revolution for the open world genre. For me, this game didn't feel like that at all. It's an 8/10 game.

I certainly have more fun with it than I had with Skyward Sword, which I could never push myself to complete. And I would have probably been more forgiven if this was a different series. However, this is the Zelda series. The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time are games I've played and finished countless times. The Wind Waker is probably my favorite game world of all time. And when I'm playing Breath of the Wild I just constantly catch myself longing to replay those games instead.

So perhaps what @kyleforrester87 is right on the money, about having a better time if you don't compare it to those previous games.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic