Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 7,480

belmont

@Ralizah Yeah got the systme about a month ago in a discount but I had no time to invest to search for a game due to studies (the FF15 expansions took most of my free time) etc. It is true I had XC2 in my radar for some time. Since I had Zelda on the Wii U and I am not that fond of Mario games but I love jrpg there was no other exclusive suitable. I plan to play a lot of XC2 this Christmas.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Ralizah

@belmont Ah, OK, that makes sense.

If you like strategy games, though, I HIGHLY recommend Mario + Rabbids. It's far better than it has any right to be.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

belmont

@Ralizah Thanks for the recommendation, I 'll check it out. It is also discounted for the holidays.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

Tasuki

Anyone play Skyrim on the Switch? I am thinking of picking it up and giving it another chance. I think being portable might make it easier for me to keep up with it, especially if the TV is in use. However, before I get it I have a few questions.

1). Is combat like Zelda or is it more like Fallout 4?

2). Are there any day one patches for it and if so do I need a bigger SD card then the standard one that comes with the system? I am going with a physical copy.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Octane

I guess more like Fallout 4?

The Witcher or Dragon Age are more comparable to Skyrim, because like Skyrim, they're open world RPGs set in a fantasy world.

Octane

kyleforrester87

@Tasuki There's no VATS in Skyrim. It's all real time. If you play in 3rd person I suppose it feels like Zelda. But the combat doesn't really have much weight behind it so to speak. Watch some YouTube videos to get a feel for it. Archer is most fun in my opinion.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Octane

@Tasuki Whoops, I didn't read 'combat', it's real-time, like Zelda I guess then.

Octane

Tasuki

So I picked up Skyrim, looking to start it at some point this weekend. I tried it several times in the past most on the 360 but I just couldn't get into it at the time. I wanted something that I could get into while the TV was in use and since Zelda failed to fit that, I figure I would give Skyrim a chance.

My Backlog

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki checks Twitter

So er...why are you posting here if you have other more important things going on?

On topic, why do you own a Switch? This is a general question for everyone.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

@YummyHappyPills Because I can't do anything right now. So I am dropping it now.

As for the Switch, honestly right now I got it for Mario Odyssey. I played the demo at a store and fell in love with it. My son likes it for alot of the third party stuff he can play while I am on the PS4, and we both are looking forward to the Bayonettas.

My Backlog

Gamer83

The pre-launch Nintendo Direct for the Switch is when I decided I wanted to buy the system. There were a bunch of games announced that piqued my interest and the 'play anywhere' aspect certainly helped out.

Gamer83

Rudy_Manchego

I have finally finished my first playthrough of Mario Odyssey. I still have hundreds of moons to get but have given it a break. It's my first proper Mario since Sunshine and I really enjoyed it. I will probably go back to it at some point.

I'm now playing through Doom on the Switch. Played only on handheld so far. The resolution and depth is not great but the smoothness of the movement and gameplay is intact and I do get a kick from playing a console game like Doom on the sofa while the other half watches some tat on TV.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Fight_Teza_Fight

@YummyHappyPills I kind of got caught up in all the Mario hype. I was planning to get a Wii U cheap this year (Bayonetta 2, Zelda BOTW) and pick up a Switch sometime down the line (2019).

I kind of regret jumping on the hype train as early as I did, as it doesn't really fit into my lifestyle at the minute. I think I maybe have 40 hours total on it, since picking it up in early November.
Finally get to play Bayonetta 2 so I'm excited about that.

I think the Switch would've been perfect for me 2-3 years ago, when I was still at Uni.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

themcnoisy

Mario Odyssey is over rated. Its playable but a bit crap. Why do Nintendo get free passes on stuff like npc character design and generic areas?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

I played a bunch of games this year but with Nintendo games included my top 3 for the year are Nier, Xenoblade 2 and Mario. I still haven't used my PS4 since I got the Switch in October! That will probably change once I'm done with Zelda but needless to say I'm very impressed with the system and really happy I made the purchase. I think I got it at the right time too, with 3 big games to plough through.

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I played Mario for 60-70 hours, not quite done yet but I thought it was a delight from start to end. Never seriously played any Mario game before, although I had 64 and Sunshine but didn't get into them at the time.

Before I played it I did also say that I think Mario gets a bit of a free pass and I think that's true to a point, the game simply isn't as amazing as the meta critic score would suggest (same with Zelda or any other game) but it is still very, very good. It was more apparent to me how good it was off the back of playing Yooka Laylee too lol.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

Mario doesn't get a "free pass." A lot of critics found it delightful and rated it highly. The metacritic score reflects that.

I personally thought games like TLOU Remastered and Bloodborne were mediocre at best, even though they scored very highly on Metacritic. Would it really be fair to say critics gave those a "free pass," or would it be more truthful to say that, even though I didn't care for them, a lot of other people did, and their critical scores reflect that?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

It seems this individual has different expectations of a video game (more intricate worlds, story and character) and Mario doesn't magch those expectations.

As such, he has labelled it "overrated" instead of "a different experience to what I look for".

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic