Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 7,479

Haruki_NLI

@kyleforrester87 Glad you are enjoying it.

Im sat wondering which courier mine is even with

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

KirbyTheVampire

@kyleforrester87 I love the Pro controller. I think it's the best controller I've ever used. It doesn't hurt that the battery lasts for like 40 hours, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

It's a decent Xbox-style controller. I just don't see the use in it when I play undocked so frequently, and I actually really enjoy using the freeform joycons in a relaxed position when playing docked.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Gamer83

Working my through Resident Evil Revelations 1 (again, I think I've bought it on 5 different systems now) and I love the motion controls with this. Reminds me of the early days of the original Wii blasting through the definitive edition of RE 4. I've never been the biggest fan of motion control but when done right it's an extremely fun way to play.

@kyleforrester87 @KirbyTheVampire
Big fan of the Pro Controller as well. 'Best ever' might be a bit of a stretch but I would probably say it's the best Nintendo controller ever and I'm still a huge fan of the SNES control pad.

Gamer83

KirbyTheVampire

@Gamer83 It might not be the best ever made, but the controllers I've tried thus far are for the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, and PS4, and I prefer it over all of them.

KirbyTheVampire

Fight_Teza_Fight

So am I the only one that never bothered to hook up their Switch to the TV?

I'm loving Zelda, despite having the worst control scheme in the history of video games (in handheld mode anyways).
Zelda is to my Switch what Smash was to my Wii. I'll probably pick up XC2 over Xmas, but I'm not entirely sure if I want to jump into another open world RPG so soon after Zelda.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

johncalmc

@Fight_Teza_Fight I'm the other way. I've literally tried handheld mode twice and immediately given up because the controls are absolutely awful. I'm sure they're fine when you're playing smaller indie games - or something like a JRPG - but trying to play Zelda or Mario simply wasn't worth the effort just so I could game while I was sat on the pot. I'll just flick through my phone or something and then get back to it when I'm back on the couch.

johncalmc

Twitter:

kyleforrester87

I play docked, then a bit of handheld in the kitchen, then some more docked, maybe handheld while misses watches TV then handheld in bed before sleep. Basically 70% docked, 30% handheld I think!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

@johncalmc I was fine with Mario, but Zelda is a real struggle at times. I'm kinda used to it now, but I have probably 'died' way more than I would've with a pro controller.

@kyleforrester87 Maybe I'll hook it up one day, haven't felt the need to yet. I imagine I probably will once I get Mario Kart. Finding a suitable spot is the main issue for me.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

johncalmc

@Fight_Teza_Fight The Pro Controller is probably my favourite controller Nintendo has ever made. Although, I don't think it's just the Joy-Cons that are the issue with handheld mode - the screen was too small for me too. It's the same problem I had with action games on Vita. Something like Persona 4 was great on it, but playing more complicated games always felt difficult to judge what was happening, and then use the tiny buttons and analogue sticks. Either way, I guess the option is good because some people seem to prefer handheld mode.

johncalmc

Twitter:

RogerRoger

My partner has a Switch and we're currently playing Mario + Rabbids, having played the usual suspects (Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey) together earlier in the year.

We both use Pro controllers and have never taken the console out of the TV dock, save once on the first day "just to see what it was like" before quickly putting it back. It's great that the option is there, and I understand that there'll be many who are the complete opposite to us, but given how comfortable the Pro controllers are to use (and the vibration is really, really good) and the fact that, most of the time, we're two people playing single-player games together, docked works great.

Despite being a die-hard Sony fanboy, I have to say that I've been really impressed with the Switch. The games... er, less so, but the Switch itself is a really fine piece of hardware.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gamer83

@Fight_Teza_Fight
For me I'd say it's probably a 70/30 or 60/40 split with the Switch being docked most of the time. Some games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Resident Evil Revelations 2 are better on the tv. Especially, XC 2, it's not unplayable on portable but there is a massive difference, probably the biggest one so far. Of course the indie games, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and even Zelda all work as good in portable mode. I'll be interested to see how things change regarding my preferred play style in 2018. Of the games announced so far, I don't think any will show much of a difference aside from possibly a slight drop in resolution when played in portable mode.

Gamer83

Fight_Teza_Fight

Bayonetta 1&2 coming to Switch, 16th February! NA release date for now, but I'm sure EU release date won't be too far off.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/bayonetta_and_bayone...
Also Bayonetta 3 is in development!
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/bayonetta_3_is_in_de...

Guess I just found my reason to dock my Switch up and get a Pro controller! No way I'm playing Bayonetta handheld.
2018 is already looking incredible.

@Octane Good luck on the NL GOTY awards. Cast my vote.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.

Gamer83

Still haven't played any Bayonetta games. Skipped over it on PS3/360 and had traded in the Wii U just before 1 and 2 released for that console. I'll gladly make up for that, next year. Also getting a new No More Heroes game. People have been questioning if Nintendo can follow up this year with a good 2018, so far, I think the answer is yes.

@Octane, thanks for the link, will be putting in my votes.

Gamer83

Haruki_NLI

10 million in 9 months, with attach rates of 50%+ for Zelda, Odyssey and Mario Kart, 25% for Splatoon.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

belmont

Has anyone tried Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Is the portable mode as bad as it is said?

belmont

Ralizah

@belmont I own it. It ranges from okay to somewhat rough in portable mode. The biggest drops mostly seem to happen in the game's first open area and town a few hours in. Dungeony sections and other large areas later in the game (so far) tend to fare better, but keep in mind that this game is pretty much always sub-600p on the tablet. Given how long the game runs on the Switch's battery, it seems like Monolith Soft made the decision to not run the game in boost mode when undocked like other Nintendo titles.

It's unacceptably unpolished for a Nintendo-published product, but I've spent the majority of my playtime in portable mode so far and the game is still perfectly enjoyable. Don't let the resolution niggles put you off an otherwise fantastic game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

belmont

@Ralizah Thanks, I have played all Xeno games except X so I wanted this to be my first Switch game (I got it ages ago but all the games I wanted were available on other platforms lol) . I may get it either way since I have read good things about the setting and the plot and I am in the mood for a portrable jrpg. It seems that they may patch it.

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic