Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 7,477

kyleforrester87

The "are trophies worth anything" debate has been done to death, second only to the "are loot boxes gambling". The answer, as always is: it depends.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

vegeta11

@kyleforrester87 sorry this is not to sound snarky...is "chuffed" good? I'm from United States and we don't have that saying. It sounds like from the rest that the system is worth the investment and I think I'm going to get one on my way home tonight...currently have Gamestop holding one for me.

vegeta11

PSN: vegeta11

kyleforrester87

@vegeta11 See below. Funnily enough it can be used to mean both :') I mean it in the positive sense, if you were "chuffed off" though you'd be annoyed. Good old English language! Enjoy your system, let us know what you think. Get a screen protector!!

Adjective Edit
chuffed (comparative more chuffed, superlative most chuffed)

(Britain, informal) Very pleased or satisfied, delighted.
(Britain, informal) Annoyed, displeased, disgruntled[3].

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Fight_Teza_Fight

@YummyHappyPills This is turning into the trophy discussion thread...
They do have a value to some. Some play games for fun, some play games for the challenge and some play games, as however pointless it might seem to you for trophies (a score).
The trophy level as @themcnoisy is a snapshot of your gaming history. It's like a big logbook you keep adding to, rather than an isolated game screen. PSNProfiles even assess the data to determine various things (completion level, gaming pattern,...).

Anyways, Switch.

@kyleforrester87 Bit late for that screen protector . I have a 2 year old German Shepherd and he's been eyeing up my Joy-Cons as if they are one of his chew toys. One of the reasons why I always have them docked.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

kyleforrester87

@Fight_Teza_Fight ah don't remind me! That first blemish on your new toy is always the toughest pill to swallow. But once you're used to it being there, theirs a peculiar comfort to its presence..!

kyleforrester87

BAMozzy

@YummyHappyPills You miss my point - trophies aren't essential and I have no problems playing 'older' games - although I tend to look more to the present/future than replaying old games I beat years ago. I always get the 'most' out of any game I enjoy. Beating Mario64's end boss for me was the 'most' I wanted out of that game. I didn't see the point in revisiting the worlds that may have one or two 'outstanding' stars to get - its not like I hadn't already seen those worlds, got some of the stars and besides, those extra stars added 'nothing' to the sense of achievement I got from beating the game and seeing the ending - it was 'just' filler. Had the game had 'trophies' attached to getting those remaining stars, I may well have been encouraged to get them and therefore spent more time on the game post completion.

Its the same with ANY game regardless for me. A game is finished as soon as I decide I have had enough and want to move on . That can be at the end of beating the story, completing every side quest etc or after doing 1 or 2 missions if its 'awful'. I don't need to replay the game in 'new game +' or at a newly unlocked 'difficulty' - its not changing the story. I don't need to collect every single item in a game to get the 'most' out of it - that can actually detract and ruin a game as far as I am concerned - a great example is AC2 and the 'feathers'. I couldn't be bothered to find every single feather - I got everything I wanted from playing the game to its conclusion. The 'only' achievements I didn't get were related to the feathers. Same with TF2, the only trophies I didn't get were related to the running the gauntlet because beating that in the time adds NOTHING to my enjoyment. I also have not completed any of the 'speedrun' trophies in Uncharted either as they add nothing to me and detract from the game, the beauty of the world created etc - I got the most out of them by completing the story.

I completed Batman Arkham Knight, Tomb Raider and Rise of, etc to 100% (story) but have never got all 'achievements/trophies' because I got 'everything' I wanted from those games. I don't need to replay Mass Effect, try every single different dialogue choices, romance every possible character, play as both renegade and paragon etc etc to get the 'most' from the game. I played this the way I would do if I were 'Shepherd', making the decisions I (think I) would if I was in that position and anything else wouldn't be 'my' shepherd so I got the 'most' out of that game I wanted.

Going back to a game like Uncharted, a game I buy purely for the story. Once that story is 'over' I have experienced everything I wanted from that game. Without trophies, that game would be put on the shelf until I want to replay - if I ever do. The trophies though may encourage me to spend an extra few hours or so mopping up those few I missed in my playthrough. They enhance and add something extra but they are NOT the main reason I play games. I get the trophies/achievements I want and they can encourage me to keep the game current once finished instead of putting it on the shelf and moving directly onto the next.

Some people see trophies as the only way to fully complete a game and you can only get the 'most' from it by getting the platinum but some trophies etc can take away from that experience although they often add something extra to a game. Old games without them aren't suddenly worse because of that but then they are not 'enhanced' by having them either.

I have NEVER bought a game because of trophies or achievements but I have played 'more' of that game because of them. Games that would normally be considered 'finished', get a few more hours as I mop up a few missing trophies. Take things like 'collectibles', these rarely offer any thing 'extra' to a game, no lore or background info. They do encourage you to investigate off the 'linear' path and the trophy offers an added incentive to look for them instead of progressing the story or to revisit missions to collect them after beating the game.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

carlos82

@BAMozzy to be fair to Mario 64 those stars were intended to give you Yoshi but they never got the chance to finish it so you just get to see him and get a funny new jump, he says being pedantic 😜

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

Tasuki

Ok that's enough arguing about trophies if you guys want start a new thread but here in this thread we are done discussing it.

Anyway My friend came over the other night and he decided to give the Switch a try. He did a bit of Mario Odyssey and he loved it. He's never been a big Nintendo gamer, he was more of a Sega fan and now more of an Xbox fan. But he said he was impressed with it alot. Now if there were other games other then Mario Odyssey that he would play he would pick one up. But right now he's only interested in Mario Odyssey.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy "Some people see trophies as the only way to fully complete a game and you can only get the 'most' from it by getting the platinum but some trophies etc can take away from that experience although they often add something extra to a game. Old games without them aren't suddenly worse because of that but then they are not 'enhanced' by having them either."

Agreed, and thats an import point to hit home. Some trophies detract from the experience. Aka complete game in an hour trophies. Honestly they can all do one. And yes totally older games given trophies when they make the jump to ps or xbox are a tiny bit better imo.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

Ok lads and ladies as @Tasuki says we can carry this on elsewhere.

Ive had an issue with the right joycon. Whats the warranty on these things?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Tasuki

@themcnoisy You would have to contact Nintendo and ask them. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle though, Nintendo has always been good when it comes to repairs.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

I got Odyssey this past Saturday! I have completed the main story and am currently sitting at 426 moons. Probably won't 100% it, but I do want to unlock Darker Side.

Also, not a game, but I've ordered a 2018 Mario calendar from Amazon Japan!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kyleforrester87

@YummyHappyPills My plan is check the store in my lunch, if they have it in stock i will buy physical. If not I'll download that sucker. Sorry you got the long wait on the NHS. I've arthritis myself and they hook me up with some pretty exclusive meds. Took a decade to get there though. But they get it done in the end. I'd be in the gutter if I was in any other country.

kyleforrester87

Haruki_NLI

Annyway...

I'm seeing one constant complaint that XC2 doesn't let you review tutorials, so use that screenshot button.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@YummyHappyPills Xenoblade 2 looks VERY anime (and not in the super stylized way of something like Persona 5) and is intimidatingly complex, so it's probably a testament to the quality of the game that it managed an 85 on Metacritic. That might look low compared to what recent Zelda and Mario games received, but those have a universal appeal in terms of their art design and gameplay.

Also, now that footage of handheld mode gameplay is emerging... it doesn't look too bad. Probably no worse than Mario + Rabbids, which I enjoyed immensely in handheld mode. I won't be able to judge it fairly until I get my own copy of the game, of course.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

My copy has been dispatched. At near midnight via Yodel.

Here within 3 days. Oh boy.

Haruki_NLI

Wow the editing in this thread was real.

So my parcel was dispatched at midnight Dec 1st.

We are now taking bets boys.

Haruki_NLI

Nintendo UK Store just emailed eith UK Mail tracking info.

But the order page gave me Yodel tracking...

Its happening again. Its the Switch launch again.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic