Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 101 to 120 of 7,480

Rudy_Manchego

If those rumours are true, I'd want to know what a 'basic' model is. I don't think basic models do Nintendo any favours and confuse consumers (unless we are purley talking game bundles). If you sell portable gaming and home gaming with one model at a £200 mark I might be interested.

As for third party support, eveyone releases at least one title for a new console in case it turns out to be a hit. They judge it then on sales and revenue and investment from the parent company. I am sure Sony are providing incentives for developing VR games for example.

I love mobile gaming and quite like the idea of the Switch but Nintendo did mess up with the Wii U and I would want to be sure they don't do the same again.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@Rudy_Manchego: I think the two models won't be any different, maybe a bit more memory, but I don't think it'll be a PS4 Slim vs Pro situation. I think the bundles will be similar to the Wii U, a basic model and a "deluxe" model with a game bundles in, maybe that grip controller included and maybe some extra memory.

Octane

andreoni79

@Octane: I think the Grip controller will be part of the base model, otherwise they'd sell Switch as a portable-only console. A Deluxe model would got some extra memory or a game bundled with. At the moment, only the Pro controller looks as an optional buy.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Rudy_Manchego

@Octane: I hope so but I do think having different models won't help sales. If we are only talking bundles of games then sure, consumers understand that. But if you do get a really useful set of memory or controllers etc. I think it should go out as one.

I'd argue that the Wii U model of two different types at release was actually a problem in selling the system. The lower end really seemed like you were getting something subpar. Purely my opinion of course, I am hoping this system can tread that neat space as peoples second console and wish it every success!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

Octane

@andreoni79: Well, you're probably right. But you can play the Switch without the grip on TV, and the Wii U deluxe set had some exclusive accessories too, like the stand. Is there a chance that the premium bundle will come with the Pro Controller? Probably not, but you never know.

@Rudy_Manchego: I don't think the average consumer is that stupid. Phones, TVs, PCs, all electronics come in multiple SKUs these days, I'm sure that they can deal with two different bundles. I do agree that the basic Wii U model was an absolute joke, but I'm hopeful that Nintendo has learned from that mistake. I believe that the basic model was phased out after a year or so, Nintendo knows that nobody wanted that thing.

Octane

andreoni79

@Octane: Didn't know that! So one can play on TV just olding a joycon per hand? In that case, the Grip could easily be considered as an optional to be sold separetely or in the "deluxe" bundle.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

usb

Aparently because of the way the machine is designed it should be easier to port games from ps4/xbox and pc well much easier than it was in the past for Nintendo. So we should be seeing quite a few ports from all these different devices. I am looking forward to this device. I AM Not normally one to say yeah I will get the device day one but I will get it within the first 3 months of release.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Octane

@andreoni79: If you remember the trailer, there's that scene where that guy is playing Skyrim on a plane. He's using the two separate JoyCons as controllers. They contain all the buttons after all, and it looks like the grip is nothing more than a piece of plastic to hold them together (and it has some lights apparently). It may be included after all, since it's probably more comfortable that way, but I don't think it's necessary.

Octane

Speedy67

As a lifelong Nintendo fan, I can't not be excited for this. Even though I'm not sure it's quite the perfect console for me, it does look a very neat piece of kit, and the third-party support is very welcome. Hopefully it gives Nintendo the love they deserve after being short-changed by Wii U haters. The Wii U had a very solid first-party selection of games, and is a great console, it just didn't get the marketing or third-party stuff right. Hopefully, the Switch can develop on what Wii U did well, and not keep the third-party support and carry on marketing it well since they've seemingly started well.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

Splat

I'm still not 100% sure Skyrim is going to be on the Switch. I know they showed it in the trailer but it hasn't been confirmed. I think unless the game is downgraded big time there is no way it runs on the Switch.

The PS3 had all kinds of problems trying to run it and even the PS4 Pro has FR drops.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

BAMozzy

As far as I am aware, the purpose of Skyrim was to represent that Bethesda would be happy to work with the Switch. I see no reason why Skyrim couldn't run on it based on the rumoured spec and targeted resolution. Its though the Switch is around the XB1 in terms of GPU power (+/- 0.2tflops) and looking at 900p as the average resolution. Skyrim ran on last gen hardware so I can't see why it wouldn't run on a system that's likely to be around the level of this gen and target lower resolution. And that's the remastered not standard version which it no doubt could run with just a resolution bump.

Skurim runs well at 1080p on the PS4 and goes have a few drops on the Pro despite rendering 4x the resolution and increasing the foliage and its draw distance. Why would the switch struggle with this old game?

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

@Splat: Yeah @BAMozzy: is correct. Bethesda has already said that there is no plans for Skyrim to come to the Switch, they just let Nintendo use the image of Skyrim to show their support for it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Victor_Meldrew

They should have shown No Mans Sky instead of Skyrim, internets would melt. I'm optimistic for a proper console Pokemon but no idea when that might be. Sony might find that if their VR headset struggles to stay in stock then people just gonna throw their cash at Nintendo.

Victor_Meldrew

usb

They really should not have shown it in the reveal if the game does not even exist on the console. If they can not show a real game on the console and its just 4 months away from being on sale then Nintendo have got problems.

Gamers complain about downgrade in graphics when games get revealed to when they get released. Nintendo just make games up lol

usb

Octane

@Splat: @Tasuki: Pretty sure that's just Nintendo's strict NDA's. Remember that Nintendo hasn't even confirmed their own games for the Switch (except for Zelda). Nintendo would be stupid to advertise games for the Switch that are never going to appear on the system. Besides, the rumours are also pointing to a Switch release of Skyrim. Mark my words, Skyrim on the Switch will be a thing (probably at launch even).

Octane

Octane

@dryrain: See me previous comment. It's just Nintendo being overprotective like always. The NDAs probably prevent the devs from talking about any Switch related product, even the games used in the trailers.

Octane

usb

@octane I hope it will be on the machine because that would give me very good reason to buy Switch

usb

Rudy_Manchego

@dryrain: I agree - that was a massive tease using a much loved franchise that more than likely won't be appearing on the device. This takes bullshots to the next level. Personally, it suggests there are no third party franchises that they are ready to announce yet.

I'm sounding like a hater which is not the case, in fact, I really want Nintendo to succeed. I want some gaming variety in software and hardware. Just a few niggles have me concerned.

Octane

@dryrain: Just wait till Januari, the 15th iirc. That's when they're going to talk about the software. I understand the skepticism a lot of people have, but showcasing games that won't turn up on the system is just ridiculous, they could've easily replaced it by something else if it wasn't a Switch title.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic