Forums

Topic: Nintendo announces SNES Mini

Posts 221 to 236 of 236

themcnoisy

So after playing both Snes mini and Megadrive collection in quick succession here is my top 15;

Streets of Rage 2
Super Mario Kart
Shining Force 2
Street Fighter 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Mario World
Final Fantasy 3
Streets of Rage 3
Dynamite Headdy
Earthbound
Toejam and Earl
Starfox
Yoshis Island
Shadow Dancer
Landstalker

There is some guff on each set of games, more so on the megadrive collection due to a bigger list of games. I would have loved some sports and 2d shooters for sure but with the snes mini and the ps4 megadrive collection you cant go wrong.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy SoR3! Controversial!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON Streets of Rage 3 is brilliant. But way too hard in single player. Also I quite like the music now as it was ahead of its time imo.

KALofKRYPTON

@themcnoisy I had it as a kid and hated it. Re-purchased it years later for silly money as I'd started collecting thinking it can't be all that bad. Still hated it!
Decent enough game, not a patch on the music from the 1st ad 2nd though.

SoR2 is deservedly top of your list.

Edited on by Tasuki

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

themcnoisy

@KALofKRYPTON you need to use the up and down rolls loads in SoR 3, I also like the fact you get a few stages to knock people off and over. The construction yard is way too soon though and those barrels need to go lol.

SoR 2 is a masterpiece, the music, locations, characters and boss fights. Its my favourite 16 bit game by far. Infinitely replayable and so much fun.

themcnoisy

So weird story culminating tonight. I lent my Snes mini to my sister and bro in laws before they moved house. Stupidly they boxed the Snes mini away and it took them months to move and then had a baby (new niece). After all that I asked for it back and they couldn't find it. Anyway they told me they have bought a replacement. Got home tonight to a Nes mini it was rather bizarre.

Anyway I have now sampled the delights of the nes mini. Namely Mario 3 (still know the warp whistle locations) gradius, balloon fight and this left field rpg set in a holiday camp. No idea how I spent so long playing 8 bit games they mostly suck (bar smb 3 obviously). The cable for the pad is way too short as well.

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy I thought about a NES mini and I still have my actual NES with games but I keep that now as a collectors piece.

For me, I struggle with anything before the 16bit generation for replayability. I know that it is very fashionable in the retro community to go back to NES or even pre-NES gaming and I understand they give a very different challenge and type of gameplay but if I am honest, I was always rubbish at them as a kid and I'm not better now. I think even as a child I liked the NES and Speccies etc. but always wanted a bit more from them and I remember playing games like Super Metroid and Zelda on the SNES and going wow, this is what I want from games.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Rudy_Manchego spot on. The collision detection is awful in the likes of ice climbers and mega man 2. I've played 20 odd of the games and only a few are worth playing. smb 1+3 are obviously must haves in any gamers collection. Punch out is great. Tecmo Superbowl is also strangely fun. Next comes Galaga and Double Dragon 2 at an absolute push and then everything else sucks.

I think on the snes / megadrive the genres were perfected such as platform games, 2d RPGs and scrolling beat em ups. The 8 bit versions are all nerfed. No backgrounds, dodgy collision detection, music cutouts, unfair deaths etc.

I'm also not surprised generally we finished less games. These things are as hard as a coffin nail.

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy Yep - the only games I can say I 'finished' on the NES were Solstice, SMB and SMB3 (though on that one, I think I used cheats to warp to the end - can't remember). Everything else was way too hard or in some cases, completely glitched. Time Lord I could not get past the second world.

Now as a kid, that was great in a way because they were so expensive I would play again and again but even then I would get frustrated. Gaming has changed, I think from 16bit era onwards in that games slowly became completable by design with stories etc.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Arugula

@themcnoisy That's largely why Super Mario World is one of my favourite games of all time. The collision detection and control response is just phenomenal and even now puts modern games to shame. The fact is was so beautiful for it's time is just a bonus. Kind of fun and scary to imagine what we could've ended up with had the Sony/Nintendo marriage been borne out.

Arugula

themcnoisy

@Frigate I think Smb3 just edges it ahead of SmW. The reason is I think it's undoubtedly the best 8 bit game I ever played. You obviously have the likes of Elite and Dizzy etc. But Smb3 is my personal favourite 8 bit game.

SmW is great of course. But after playing the snes mini and other 16 bit consoles back in the day there are loads of great games which I rate higher than SmW. Swos, Frontier Elite 2, Speedball 2, Shining Force 2, SoR 2, Sonic 2 etc (anything with a 2 in it by the looks of things). There's an argument that Yoshis Island is better.

I watched a film as a kid and at the end they have a gaming tournament and the game was smb3. Weird memory and it's still with me to this day. Any how Super Mario World is ace.

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy one of my favourite 8 bit games - Sonic Chaos. Fun levels, fun music, easy gameplay, you can blaze through it in an hour or so and have 30+ lives. The mainline Sonic games are way harder.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 I don't think I ever played Sonic Chaos so I looked it up. It was released in 1994. Who was still on the Master System in 1994?

It looks really good though. A bit like that C64 platformer which released at the very tail end of that computers life and was using every trick possible to pull out graphics impossible a few years earlier.

Arugula

@themcnoisy A lot of my very early gaming memories were on the Amstrad 464 CPC + which was the equivalent of 8 bit. I don't want to derail this thread but such good memories.....

Codemasters were behemoths back then.

Arugula

themcnoisy

@Frigate I had a CPC 6128 with a green screen monitor. Good Times.

@kyleforrester87 that's the one. Good work.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic