Forums

Topic: Nintendo announces SNES Mini

Posts 161 to 180 of 218

mookysam

@themcnoisy Ooh Super Metroid is amazing. Everyone should play it. I think the music massively adds to the creepy sci-fi atmosphere.

It makes me think of the impact music has on games in general, particularly older ones. In the Final Fantasy thread I said about enjoying 6's opening - and a part of that is the music.

Switch FC: SW-7078-8737-1884

PSN: mookysam

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 @mookysam Super Metroid does stack up. It seems a load more effort has gone into little things which make the game stand the test of time. Bugs flying off when you approach, samus breathing animation etc. The music is great 👍and the map is done well, so you know where you are but dont have much guidance. Top game.

@yummyhappypills Megaman X on the otherhand doesnt stand the test of time. Very generic platform shooter with some iffy graphics. Again it would have looked great in the 90s, especially after nes megaman as its I suppose bolder and more colourful graphically - but so many games have surpassed it since imo. Where as super metroid in comparison to even guacamelee or teslagrad can go toe to toe and nails the atmosphere.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 I remember exile. My first completed metroidvania was magic land dizzy, does that count?

Rudy_Manchego

Super Metroid is my favourite game of all time. Nuff said.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

Kidfried

Super Metroid, I've tried this game a lot of times before, but never finished it. And it looks like I won't this time at well. I love the graphics and music and all, but the game just dizzies me. I never no what way to go and the game's map is quite complex.

The start of the game is really fun, but after that I just feel kinda lost. Appreciate a lot about this game, but I doubt I'll ever finish it.

Meanwhile I'm still chipping away at Earthbound. And man, is this game much longer than I remembered. I love how quirky everything it is and the game keeps surprising you with strange turns. I don't know if I would call it one of the best games ever made, but it's a classic in its own right. There are not a lot of games quite like it. (Undertale doesn't count. It's a poor man's Mother.)

Regard my dear
It's all downhill from here

PSN: AnneJanSikkema

Kidfried

@kyleforrester87 Can't wait to play FF6. It was one of the first JRPG's I played, even. Never came close to finishing as I didn't understand the game's fighting that well. Its graphics and cinematic feel is quite impressive though, up to this day.

That intro...

Regard my dear

Ralizah

Super Metroid was great for its time, and it still holds up well enough today, but it has been surpassed by other games in the series (Fusion is better at plot, setpieces, and boss battles, and Zero Mission is tighter and has a considerably more memorable final act).

Earthbound... I don't like it. Tried to get into it, but it's not for me.

FF6 is a total classic. Up there with the best games in the series. Although I prefer the Advance version (portable, better translation, less censorship, and the color palette is less dark overall).

Chrono Trigger... bleh! Never understood the love for that game.

The best thing about the SNES mini (besides Star Fox 2) is that we're finally getting a legit re-release of Yoshi's Island.

Although I have no real use for another TV-tethered device, so I'll just wait for these games to release on Switch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

YummyHappyPills

@Ralizah The best part of the SNES Classic is that the EU finally gets the original version of FF6, and as close to OG as we can get with Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Earthbound and a few more we didn't get on SNES.

Oh, and of course the re-releases we never got too.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Splatoon 2 Tournament on June 9th: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Kidfried

@YummyHappyPills 'We'. Weren't you born after these games?

But yes, I agree that its catalogue is more remarkable than people give it credit for.

@Ralizah Star Fox 2 isn't that much to write home about. That's only for hardcore Nintendo fans. For me the reason is mostly to have all the games in one place.

Edited on by Tasuki

Regard my dear

Ralizah

@Kidfried It's a significant inclusion because of its historical context. Same as if Sony released a "lost" PSOne entry in a well-known first party I.P. You don't have to be a Nintendo fanboy to maintain some interest in the history and development of the medium you're passionate about.

YummyHappyPills

@Kidfried

Anyway, depends. I was born before a lot of these games were released HERE, if we want to be pedantic. Like Earthbound, in 2013. Or Super Mario RPG, which Europe got on the Wii. Or FF6, which Europe first got as a PSone game.

Furthermore, "We" is a self-inclusive plural, therefore you can infer I was referring to "We" as in "We Europeans".

And if you want to be extra fun, I was born after most of those games. Kirby Super Star and Super Mario RPG released after my birth, in Japan and the US. Europe got Yoshi's Island a few days before my birth, and Panel de Pon (See: Tetris Attack) which is available on the Super Famicom Classic, was released in all western territories after my birth too.

And on a super technicality, I arrived before the N64 did in any territory, so I'm of the SNES generation sir

Edited on by Tasuki

Sign up for the NL Inklings Splatoon 2 Tournament on June 9th: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Octane

I'm so old, I still remember when the Wii U was cool.

Octane

YummyHappyPills

@Octane I'm casting my mind back and....no...I don't recall that at all.

Kidfried

@Ralizah The fact that you mention "historical context" kinda says it all for me. Most gamers just aren't interested in the historical context of a product.

And, as somewhat of a passionate gamer, I was interested in Star Fox 2, until I played it. It doesn't hold up.

Regard my dear

themcnoisy

@Ralizah Ive never played a 2d metroid. Ive ran the Gamecube game and it was great, yet I was playing unreal tournament (possibly the best game at the time fps wise with crazy mod support) so it couldnt compare gameplay wise. I do know why its held in high regard though, dripping in atmosphere and the scanning drip feeds the story which was unique. As for Super Metroid Im sure its been perfected - but my experience the other night was great.

Ive played the snes mini in a few short bursts, a number of games I rate anyway (mk, both mario platformers and zelda alttp) are still great. Some games are no where near as good (super probotector, ghouls and ghosts) some Im left floundering as to why people rate them (secret of mana, megaman x) and some have been surpassed, look pap but are brilliant under the right conditions due to gameplay or 2 player (sf2, kirbys dream course, dkc). So to play super metroid and it to wildly exceed my expectations is a pleasent surprise! Everything goes together so well and the music is boss!

themcnoisy

@Kidfried Whats crazy, seens as though I own a pro and super powered gaming PC is that starfox frame rate and poor polygon count does not effect my enjoyment of the game at all. Nostalgia has well come into play but I quite enjoy its controls and slow frame rate and as Ive played the game so many times it just feels right. Ive yet to try starfox 2 so may treat myself to that this weekend.
Im kinda with @Ralizah here as Im a gaming geek. I do understand most people wont care, I do though and its a nice bonus. I will be the judge on this one lol.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy Glad you're enjoying it. It's definitely a classic. Have you tried Super Castlevania IV yet? While it's not my favorite of the Classicvanias (nothing can measure up to Rondo of Blood, imo), it's still a really solid action-platformer.

And, of course, FFVI is a JRPG masterpiece.

There's also an argument to be made for Yoshi's Island being Nintendo's best 2D platformer.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic