Forums

Topic: "Gotta Go Fast!" - A Sonic the Hedgehog Topic

Posts 101 to 120 of 120

FullbringIchigo

and also this is still a great advertisement for Team Sonic Racing

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I always thought it was pretty awesome that the PS Vita version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was identical to the "main" version. Of course the framerate and textures aren't gonna be as great, but it runs well enough for me to consider it alongside its big brother.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing on the DS is cute enough but yeah, it's literally just there because somebody in marketing thought it had to be. Playable, but average.

Nice screencap! I do love that opening movie. I miss the epic CGI opening cutscenes.

Part of me thinks that I've met Tee Lopes, but I can't be sure. I saw his face in that video for the first time the other day, and I flashed back to one of the Summer of Sonic conventions I went to several years ago. I bumped into a really excitable, enthusiastic European chap in the queue who said he had flown over "to sing and give it my all" and I just figured he meant as part of the crowd, so I was surprised when he appeared on stage alongside Jun Senoue later in the event. He looked similar enough for me to think that it was him, allowing for how he might've aged since. Bizarre!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger that's cool that you saw them

i'm kinda jealous

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...but I didn't even know it was them! Nothing to be jealous of, trust me!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you still got to see them live though right?

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Well, I'm not big on live music, so I got to recoil in terror at the loud noises and then slowly retreat from the suddenly-sweaty crowded room... but yes, I guess so, briefly.

I think they still hold Summer of Sonic conventions every year, at random locations around the UK.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

So i wanna talk a little about a game in the Sonic series that doesn't get talked about much Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Untitled

many people consider this a "Black sheep" of the franchise so much so that even when people come up with a timeline they leave it out (it takes place after Sonic Unleashed by the way) but i want to talk about this game, while a underrated flawed gem, it's still a gem

so a little info, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is a RPG developed by Bioware and published by SEGA for the Nintendo DS where you take a team made up of Sonic and his friends (and even a few enemies) on an adventure that even crosses dimensions in order to save the Chaos Emeralds and the world from a evil threat

It has an explorable over world made up of "Zones" where you can fight enemies by touching them which takes you into a battle screen (think like Dragon Quest or Tales of games) where we have a turn based battle system that of course being on the DS uses touch controls for special moves and in typical RPG fare there is load of equipable weapons and armours, and even Chao's which give you boons in battle such as increased speed or health regeneration

character wise we have quite a decent selection of returning characters and even a few new ones the list includes

Sonic the Hedgehog
Amy Rose
Miles "Tails" Prower
Knuckles the Echidna
Rouge the Bat
Shadow the Hedgehog
E-123 Omega
Dr Robotnik AKA Eggman
and a brand new one called "Shade"

now i wont spoil the story or who the new characters are but needless to say it throws a big wrench into something about another characters past we thought we knew

but lets talk about the game play itself, like pretty much every other DS game it makes use of both screens with the bottom being used for general game play and control (yes you have to control the game with the touch screen, there are NO button controls) with the top screen showing either a map, Battle information such as the order and flow of battle or character dialogue depending on what your doing at the time

on the map screens you control a team of 4 (that you switch between at will) with the stylus for full 360 movements and use their various special abilities to traverse and solve puzzles such as Sonics speed to go through Loops or Tails flight to traverse large gaps

Untitled

by exploring the maps you counter NPC's that offer missions for you to complete which opens up new pathways and areas to explore

but also enemies can be seen walking around in the fields. Depending on the party's level, enemies may be aggressive and move towards the player. If an enemy is touched, combat begins. Battles are fought in a close-up, turn-based battle arena. Standard attacks are available as well as special attacks, dubbed POW Moves, which can be performed by following the on-screen prompts and tapping the stylus when and where you are indicated to. These moves use up POW Points, in a manner similar to "Magic Points" in other RPGs

Untitled

there are also team POW moves where if you have the correct team members for example Sonic and Tails they can work together and attack the enemy with more powerful moves to deal greater damage and there are also other things such as characters having a "Class" which gives them special boons

Power: Characters in this class focus on attacking and have POW moves that are all focused in dealing damage to enemies. They regain 1 PP per action when defending.

Shifter: Characters in this class are balanced between fighting and supporting the team but may lean more to one side within their attack POW moves and pure status effect causing moves. They regain 2 PP per action when defending.

Support: Characters in this class have low attacking power and have POW moves that focus only on supporting the team or applying negative status effects on enemies. They regain 3 PP per action when defending

after battle much like many RPG's you get exp to level up and dropped items and as you level up you get points to spend on your stats and abilities which you use to increase their strength

now i wont sit here and say this is a deep RPG because it's not although it does offer dialogue choices so you can make Sonic a total ass if you want to, which can be funny seeing some of the responses from characters but it offers in my opinion a good game play loop, a fun battle system, an interesting story and in complete honest some of the best written versions of the characters in years

anyway i think i should wrap this up now, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is a fun game that i feel deserves a bit more love and that any Sonic fan should at the very least check out

Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Not just an underrated gem, but an oft-forgotten one, too. The amount of people, fans included, who laugh at the idea of BioWare having made a Sonic game before is shockingly high when you consider it was a big release for the Nintendo DS, a console with a huge install base.

Great write-up, and thanks for the memories! I've only ever played it through the once, but it sits quite high on my "should really replay this sometime" list.

If only, as you say, so that I can make Sonic fully reject and sideline Amy like he always should!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it's such a shame the sequel got canned after EA brought Bioware because it's was a good starting point for an entire series

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I do remember its cliffhanger ending and thinking "Right, where's the next one... wait, there isn't gonna be a next one? That's annoying." Especially since it borrowed a couple not-too-bad elements from the Archie Comics, which I've never gotten in to. A game series about the Echidna race might've been my gateway drug.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger maybe SEGA will revisit it at some point in the future

FullbringIchigo

so it's nearly time for the Sonic Movie, anyone going to watch it?

also the artist who did the redesign shows you how to draw it if you're interested

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
"How To Draw Sonic" - are they taking the p***?!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON maybe

it's more about drawing the movie version to be honest rather than the game version i mean drawing Sonic is pretty easy
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

Arugula

What do Sonics feet look like without shoes?

Arugula

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I was speaking in reference to the redesign 😜😂

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON could you draw it though?

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Probably. 😎

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i tried following his instructions and i think it came out OK

Untitled

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic