Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 801 to 820 of 912

RR529

Both on Switch.

Ys VIII - A little rough around the edges, but a great time and probably my favorite release of 2018 so far. I really liked building your little village of castaways, and I enjoyed that, at least until near the end, the story was more intimate than your typical globe trotting RPG, focusing on the mysteries of the island you're stranded on.

Assault Gunners HD Edition - Despite the mostly horrendous reviews the game's gotten (a lot of 3's & 4's), I decided to nab it since Switch is pretty starved for mech games at the moment. Overall I'd say it's pretty average, but not deserving of the bottom of the barrel reviews it's been getting. Sure, it looks like an uprezzed PS2 game, is pretty short, and repetitive, but it's a fun enough time if you like the genre. It's certainly not broken or buggy by any means. Plus, It's brief missions fit well for pick up and play sessions on Switch.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

KratosMD

Just finished Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. This was such a vast improvement on Portable Ops and an excellent MGS game. It's just so much better than PO. The story is phenomenal and engaging (the ending was really emotional), the gameplay has been streamlined and is much more fun this time around because of that, and the resource management aspect of the game is really addicting. It's certainly impressive for being made on a handheld device (especially considering this also has online multiplayer).

All in all, I'm super glad that I decided to play this and not skip out on it like I did with Portable Ops. This is definitely an MGS game worth playing if you're going through the series. And I managed to play it on the PS3, so I had an even better experience than if I'd play it on the PSP. It's also made me realise that Big Boss is a much more interesting character than Solid Snake. Maybe my opinion will change later on though.

Anyway, now that I'm done with Big Boss' games before MGS V, it's finally time to play MGS4. I'm really excited to start playing this one, this series is just pure brilliance.

"To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly"
"They fail to live because they are always preparing to live" - Alan Watts
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Th3solution

@KratosMD So I remember we had the discussion several months ago when you were planning to play the series, but I’ve forgotten... you’re not trying to play them in the order the story occurs? I thought you were trying to go chronological. Ground Zeros comes right after Peace Walker and then The Phantom Pain right after that and you are in for a real, real treat with TPP if you liked Peace Walker. The resource and personnel management gets even better.
MGS 4 is excellent in its own right, but different gameplay-wise. It’s probably the strongest story of all the games, but that’s of course that’s all very subjective.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KratosMD

@Th3solution Nah, I already decided upon that a long time ago. I don't remember specifically the discussion we had, but I know that the first MGS game that I played was the original one on PS1 and so I decided to play them in order of release just to see how the series has evolved. It's not like Yakuza where basically all games feel more or less the same in gameplay.

If I were to play the MGS games in chronological order, then that would mean playing The Phantom Pain and afterwards play Metal Gear on the 8-bit systems. That would feel pretty weird, lol. Even MGS 1 is vastly different compared to MGS 5. So it doesn't really make sense to play the games in chronological order, at least for me.

But even so, most of the games were released as a sequel to the previous one. E.g. I played MGS 2 after MGS 1, and then I played MGS 3, PO and PW one after the other. And now I'm going to play MGS 4, then MGRR. So it doesn't feel like I'm constantly jumping all over the timeline, you know?

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Th3solution

@KratosMD Oh yeah, that’s perfectly fine to play them in any order. Certainly I played them way out of chronological order and it didn’t affect the enjoyment. There is not really spoilers for earlier games, and if there is, they are minor and the over-arching story is really hard to follow in the MG series anyways. You’re gonna love 4 and 5 regardless I feel. And actually I never played Rising: Revengence. I played the demo and didn’t really feel compelled to as it doesn’t really feel like a Metal Gear game per se.

Just depending on how long it takes to get to Ground Zeros, you may need a refresher to remind yourself of the Peace Walker plot and conclusion as the two games are as closely tied together as any in the series are, occurring only one year apart and picking up essentially directly after Peace Walker’s events. It had been a couple years between the two games when I (and nearly everyone else on the planet) finally got to play GZ and it took a little refresher to get back on track with the goings on in the MG world in 1974.

Edit: ...and actually, as I think about it, I seem to recall that GZ gives you a little summary of events at the beginning to get you up to speed since many people didn’t even play Peace Walker anyways.

Edited on by Th3solution

KratosMD

@Th3solution Well MGRR is more or less a spin-off to the series so it's understandable. That said, having played through games made by Platinum, like NieR: Automata, as well as being a fan of the MGS series, I think that I'd enjoy that game a lot. I actually really liked Raiden in MGS 2 and I'm excited to see how his character is developed in MGS 4 and MGRR.

And yeah, I did boot up my copy of the Definitive Edition of MGS 5 and saw that there exists a summary of PW, which is nice. I actually don't think I'm going to be playing 5 anytime soon since it's very long for an MGS game, so I'm most likely only going to be playing 4 and MGRR for the foreseeable future.

DerMeister

@KratosMD Hope you enjoy MGS4. It's a Metal Gear for Metal Gear fans and wraps the series up nicely.

Also, I can't believe it's been a full decade since it's release. June 12, 2008. I remember waiting for that day and my hype was off the charts. Good times.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Th3solution

@DerMeister @KratosMD Yeah, I rarely replay games especially heavily story driven games, mostly because of a large backlog. Also once you see the story unfold then it’s less exciting the second time. However MGS4 is one that I played twice. The second time just to get the trophies that were added on

Kidfried

Beat Fallout 4 Far Harbor. It's a DLC but I spend about 20 hours exploring every nook and cranny of its world. So it counts as a game to me.

Typical Bethesda stuff: great world building and setting up of the story, but a mainly unsatisfying plot in the end, coupled with a lot of bad bugs.

Regard my dear
It's all downhill from here

Rudy_Manchego

Finally finished Golf Story on the Switch last night. Ended up putting something like 20 hours into the game doing everything and every interaction. Great little RPG/Golfing game and recommend.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

mookysam

@Kidfried Still not touched Far Harbour despite getting the season pass before the price went up. How does it run? The frame rate in the main game became quite dreadful for me towards the end and I'm not sure why. :-/

@Rudy_Manchego Sounds like a nice little game. I think I'll have to check it out!

Switch FC: SW-7078-8737-1884

PSN: mookysam

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam It's fun with a weird sense of humour. Very chill game!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

Kidfried

@mookysam It's Bethesda. Don't expect anything technically impressive, but I found it to run better than the base game. Might be due to the smaller environment. If you're in the mood for some good old Fallout, it's more of the same. However, the DLC is pretty much a miniature version of the main campaign, from start to finish.

So I'm not recommending it myself, but my partner enjoyed it a lot, though! (And I love shooting things with VATS)

Regard my dear

KratosMD

Just finished Samba de Amigo on Wii. AND I'M SO TIRED. The game was such a blast when played on Easy and Normal, but when I got to Hard and Superhard it literally became a spamfest because the symbols would move much faster and the motion controls became really unresponsive. And I had to do all the songs required in all the four modes in order to finish "Career Mode" and see the credits. That was a nightmare.

The list of songs in the game is golden though. I can easily see myself playing this (on Normal mind you, lol) every day simply because of the great music. Overall, it's a great game but only when played on the lower difficulties.

Footnote: I literally had to play this game with my shirt off, windows open and the fan on full blast during nighttime. It's not really the best game to play in this blazing weather, lol.

Edited on by KratosMD

Kidfried

@KratosMD From what I remember of this game, playing shirtless probably only adds to the immersion.

I still wanted to name a game I "beat", I'm talking about Captain Spirit. Push Square gave it a 6/10, but I'm feeling more of an... 8/10, maybe even higher?

The animations, writing and even gameplay all easily one up Life is Strange, so I think that's very promising. I also liked how the dad character wasn't only good or only bad, but rather somewhere in between. I think that's a big step forward from any character we saw in the first.

Also, opening up the game world a bit more than the last one was really satisfying. Some background stuff you really had to look for, and even then the pieces of story you collected still left some room for interpretation.

I enjoyed this game a lot, but most of all... the Sufjan soundtrack was just so perfect. The theme of the song fit the story well, and also some details of the song found another great meaning within this game.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, uh... I cannot recommend this enough.

Regard my dear

KratosMD

Just finished The House of the Dead: Overkill on Wii. It's a very fun and addicting on-rail shooter and I thought that it felt great using the Wii Zapper to play this game. The story was as simple as you'd expect, although I found it annoying how they tried to make it comedic and include a protagonist who drops the F bomb literally every other second. Other than that, the game was great.

KratosMD

Just finished DmC: Devil May Cry on 360. I loved the game, plain and simple. After having played the previous four DMC games, this game felt like such a breath of fresh air. The reboot fixes a lot of issues I had with the series in general. For starters, no fixed camera angles anymore; you have free reign over the camera. Also, double jump is automatically unlocked from the start instead of having to purchase it for each of your weapon like in the previous games. Moreover, the combat is MUCH more free flow than before and there are so many different combos to execute, which are simple to perform. On top of that, the weapons in the game are actually heavily integrated into the world. You have to utilise all your weapons in order to not only perform successfully in combat but also when exploring the levels, which I thought was brilliant. I barely used any of the other weapons in the previous games because there were no incentives to do so. Which brings me to my next point: exploring in DmC is actually really fun. Since the previous games were so freaking hard (except for DMC2), I never wanted to explore in them at all. I purposefully avoided all the secret missions and even when they made them easier to find in DMC4, some were still hard to complete. However, in DmC it's actually fun trying to find the keys and unlocking the doors for the secret missions, and the mission themselves are fun as well. They're not super hard like in the previous games.

The pacing of the game was exceptionally done. You start the first mission off with a boss fight, then every couple of missions you get another boss fight so it doesn't feel like you're just constantly going through one regular level after the other. The boss fights are really cool and unique as well, they were very memorable. Also, the variety of the settings in the levels is so good: you got amusement parks, mansions, city areas, underground facilities, upside-down worlds, computer labs, night clubs, fiery areas, caverns and so on. Compare that to the one freaking setting in DMC3, which is a tower.

The story was excellent. This Dante is so much better than the previous Dante simply because I relate more to him since he is more modern than the punk/rock Dante. Kat is the most interesting female protagonist of all the ones in the series, and Vergil is actually fleshed out in this game compared to DMC3. I just loved the story, it was so enjoyable. Which shouldn't really come as a surprise since it was developed by Ninja Theory, the ones who would later make Hellblade. They're really excellent story writers.

Having now played all the games in the series, I can with confident say that DmC the reboot is easily the best DMC game in the franchise. It just executes everything so well and adds so many QOL elements to the series. I can't wait now to play DMC5, I really hope they base that game off the reboot and not DMC4 in terms of gameplay, level design and story.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD After playing the first game all those years back, I was never really fussed on the sequels that I played. I remember playing a bit of DMC and enjoying it, so will probably pick it up at some point after your positive feedback. Cheers!

How do you feel about the new game that is coming out?

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

@JohnnyShoulder DMC5 looks like it's going to be really good. If they can make it feel like a modern DMC game then I'm all in. The problem with the four mainline DMC games is that they feel virtually the same in terms of the overall structure. It doesn't feel like each new entry pushes the franchise forward, which is why I love the reboot since it really adds in a lot of improvements.

The music is top-notch, though. Haven't been able to stop listening to the song used in the trailer since E3.

RR529

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) - As mentioned before, I don't have much experience with Castlevania proper, but I enjoyed my time with this. It had a really cool atmosphere, and although it could get quite tough, it never felt unfair (I especially liked the bosses).

Did both a Normal/Casual run & a Normal/Veteran run.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic