Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 681 to 700 of 5,530

LieutenantFatman

The game play for MGS5 is excellent I will agree and creating those action sequence moments is a lot of fun. But despite that, it's still the weakest entry in the series to me. The previous games really capture the imagination with the story & characters and I was always so immersed in the plot. This has none of that, unfortunately. So was ultimately left dissapointed. But well worth a look if that's not a deal breaker.

LieutenantFatman

Victor_Meldrew

Polished of Banner Saga part 3 yesterday, just a stunning game, loved it very much.

Victor_Meldrew

Th3solution

@KratosMD My comments were going to be nearly exactly what @Kidfried said, so I won’t repeat, but he’s exactly right. The open world, the Fulton system with all its crazy and over the top upgrades you can do with it, the base building and defense mini/side game, the buddy system (AI companion) that will give you different perks in combat based on which buddy you choose, the marriage of stealth and strategy with sheer chaos and immense firepower .... the list of gameplay improvements in TPP go on and on. For me the story was really really good and the ending blew me away, as well as the alternate ending.
I agree that it’s been fun reading your impressions since you’ve played through these so fast.
But yeah, we all had a break between GZ and TPP so if you take some time away from MGS then that’s fine and maybe it will help you to enjoy TPP more. But I am anxious to hear about what you think and which side of the MGS V fence you end up on.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@KratosMD While initially I was disappointed with the lack of Fulton in GZ, in hindsight I think it was a good decision leaving it out. It adds some tension to the game in this camp, and soldiers in the GZ blacksite camp are also definitely more aware than their PP counterparts.

I won't go into anymore details, because I don't want in any to spoil your experience of MGSV. So, I'll just wait until you've finished that one!

Also, I can relate to you in part. Because up until the disappointing Wii release, I exclusively played on Nintendo consoles, so I initially missed out on MGS as well (though Twin Snakes did release on GC). I played Mario, but never Crash et cetera.

Kidfried

Thrillho

As others have said, MGS5 is a fun game but it feels kind of out of place as an MGS game. Swapping to Kiefer Sutherland was an odd one and it felt like they were paying him by line or something as he says so little in the game (there's one scene where there's loads of exposition going on from another character and he just sits there, rather than the Hayter style over the top acting which made the part).

It straddles a line between the "classic" games and Peace Walker with it's episodic format which works at times but disrupts the momentum with all the repetitive side missions. I also found that far too much of the story was buried away in cassettes you find/receive which I listened to while standing perfectly still as you ran the risk of mission comms blasting over them if you tried to listen to them and play the game. Plus, there are so many bits that don't join up/make sense because of the missing act.

So yeah, fun game but it didn't feel like a true MGS game to me.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

The epilogue of TPP has to be one of the most memorable openings of a video game in recent times. Wasn't too fussed on the rest of the game though.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Shellcore

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn over the weekend and about 20% into the Frozen Wilds expansion. One trophy off the plat, which will come with a couple of level ups. Overall, I enjoyed my time with the game. Some of the characters were well written and the world looked incredible at times. I thought there were a couple of difficulty spikes in the game and the recurrence of one machine in particular dampened my enthusiasm by the third time. It can be quite formulaic in its structure and was quite "Ubisoft-like" in its design. More like comfort food rather than revolutionary. Refined open world action RPG. Recommended, but with tempered expectations.

PSN: Aleks-UK

Victor_Meldrew

@ellsworth004 yeah, I loved all three, just a really great trilogy, usually 2 is on sale every cpuple of months and 3 will no doubt have a salle before long

Victor_Meldrew

Ralizah

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. Only beat the main story kingdoms. Unlocked three kingdoms after the final boss, but I won't be touching this game again. Good riddance.

Controlling the game with bongos starts out clever and charming, but it quickly becomes a nuisance, especially in levels that it makes NO SENSE to control with bongos (swimming levels, for example). A lot of these levels seem like they were never designed to be controlled via bongo.

Having to clap to perform essential functions in the game so often quickly made my hands sore, and I would resort to banging a metal implement against the bongo to give my flesh a rest after repeated clapping. After all, soft clapping doesn't trigger the microphone button. You have to really whip flesh against flesh to get a sound loud enough to consistently trigger it. It's the masochist's dream game, requiring you to inflict pain upon yourself to play it well.

The level design is functional, but too tightly structured, and can't hold a candle to the clever level design in real DK Country games.

The bosses are very limited in design, and although their combat patterns become decently challenging, more often than not I was fighting the stupid controls just trying to beat them.

What made the boss encounters INFURIATING, though, was the game's decision to make your banana count identical to your HP. Doing well over the course of two levels only to lose half my bananas because I didn't loudly clap my hands quickly enough to avoid attacks a few times was a recipe for incredible frustration.

Another annoyance that contributed to ruining my experience with the game: not being able to restart individual levels within each kingdom. Oh no, instead, if you mess up in, say, the second level of a kingdom, you have to restart from the first one to correct your mistakes.

Oh, and the structure of the game (short level - short level - boss, short level - short level - boss, ad nauseam) isn't doing it any favors either. There's a reason you only fight a boss in, say, a Mario game after going through seven or eight levels. Imagine a repetitive koopaling fight after every two levels...

This game really wore out its welcome by the end.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

shonenjump86

Persona Freaking 5 😑. Darn game took forever.

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

PSN: Shonen86

Ralizah

@KratosMD Yeah, I did. In retrospect, the Wii version probably would have been the way to go with this title, but I wanted to try the bongos with Taiko no Tetsujin and figured this would be a good game to test them on.

Nei

shonenjump86 wrote:

Persona Freaking 5 😑. Darn game took forever.

Congrats, that is a mammoth of a game.

I finished Super Metroid again but for some reason I find myself playing it once a year. Spoiler alert: it's awesome.

Finished the SOTC remake as well and I am very impressed by the quality of the remake and the subtlety of all the little extra touches. The gallery of extras is very well done and I like how it unfolds by accomplishing various tasks in the game, may it beating some Colossi in hard mode or flashback mode or just hitting 250 Km on Argo. The tweaks to the Time Attack goal times are well thought and so is the new control scheme.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Rudy_Manchego

@Feena I do the same with Super Metroid. My favourite game of all time.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Feena Before I loaned out my cartridge, I would play Zero Mission every year. It's an awesome game. I hope Nintendo pulls its head out of its butt and re-releases the game on the Switch someday, as I don't really like playing GBA games on an HDTV or bulky, console-tethered tablet.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I was thinking yesterday that we have not heard from you for awhile on a game you've finished lol.

Glad to hear you enjoyed LiS. It is not game I should have liked so much and didn't think I would connect with characters so much.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@KratosMD With the greatest respect, your final choice in Life is Strange astounds me (as it did when my best friend picked it, and when I saw the statistic that 49% of players picked it, too).

Perhaps it's because I didn't connect with Chloe as a character as much as others have. I could see how important she was to Max, but I was in control of Max and could guide her towards the choices and outcomes I wanted to see. I felt like Chloe was a bad influence, and feared what would happen to Max if she totally gave herself to the friendship and budding relationship. Even at times, Max's internal monologue would doubt or question Chloe's actions, which I liked and fostered. Where appropriate, I supported and helped Chloe, but no amount of later-revealed context could undo all of the damage, and I didn't hesitate to let her die in order to save thousands of people (personal feelings aside, on a basic human level, I simply believe that there was no choice).

Don't get me wrong; it's a testament to the incredible writing to make me invest so much and care so much about the characters, and have these opinions. Chloe is an incredibly-realistic, multi-faceted individual but I couldn't relate to her at all. I couldn't relate to Max either, but I at least had some sway over her role and choices.

It'll be interesting to see what you think about Before the Storm, because my opinions about that are slightly different. As always, context is everything. Despite dealing with some of the same characters, in some of the same settings, I surprised myself with how much I actually got into everything and how much I cared in a totally different way when controlling Chloe instead of Max.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah I’m finishing up the first episode of Before the Storm and I can definitely see how playing as Chloe is going to completely alter my feelings about her character. I’m impressed so far with the game and what Deck Nine did with the IP. After my initial dislike of Chloe’s new voice, I’ve now grown used to it and I think the actress does a pretty good job. I’ll be sure to leave my impressions as I get along with the game.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I agree with you that there was no choice. I didn't even second guess or anything. You have to choose between killing off a) one friend, b) three friends and thousands of others.

Also, this one friend you want to sacrifice everything for is someone who you haven't spoken to in ages. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed by that last episode, because it didn't provide any meaningful choices, not did it surprise me in anyway.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic