Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 661 to 680 of 5,530

ellsworth004

@KratosMD I've always had a problem with finishing games, I think it's due to wanting to find everything and do everything in every game I play. Really takes the fun out of it, I have a major problem with starting games over also, I don't know why I do it. Takes me forever to beat some games and by the end of alot of them I'm just not having fun anymore.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

Th3solution

@ellsworth004 I have a similar problem. I think I spend too much time roaming around in games, at least the open world type games. However, I don’t usually start over, but I have been known to make multiple game saves and then go back to a prior save if I missed something and replay a section to see what I missed. In general I still enjoy the game even though it takes me so long, but it’s easy to get frustrated by how long it’s taking because I want to be able to move along and experience different games. As a result I end up with several games unfinished. But I’m trying to re-train myself to be less obsessive to see and do everything and move along a little more quickly. So right now I’m playing Yakuza 0 and Horizon Zero Dawn, both large games with tons to do, so I am trying to focus on advancing the story and just sprinkling in side quests or collectithons when they are just in my direct pathway toward the bigger goal. Last night I had to restrain myself from fishing at the pier, playing majong, and searching for phone cards in Kamurocho because I keep telling myself I need to make progress.
There was an article on here about a year ago which I loved by I think shogunrok about how he tried going through open world games quicker and ignoring side quests and it seemed to enhance his enjoyment of certain games (I think his example was Dragon Age Inquisition, which ironically was one that I got to bogged down and never completed) and that article motivated me. Also it’s motivation to try to be more streamlined when playing because of the sheer number of good games in my backlog that I want to experience. And it’s only getting worse!
Anyway, sorry for my ramblings but this has been on my mind too.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

I don't even care about finishing video games these days to be honest, I play and enjoy them until I've had my fill and then stick it on the shelf or eventually delete it if it's digital.

I'd say I probably finish 50% of games I purchase these days but I won't force it if I'm not having fun.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Rudy_Manchego

I finished SuperHot (non VR) the other day. I loved the VR version, and quite liked the non VR. It is really fun and you feel like a boss when you time it all just right. Kind of wish I had played the other way round because the VR version is, in my opinion, really superior.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD I don't know when I started doing it really - take Hollow Knight though. Great game, and I was really really enjoying it. Got 25 hours in and just didn't feel the urge to play it anymore. It's been 3-4 weeks now so I'm very unlikely to go back.

But then if I'm loving something (Nier, Divinity, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Oddysey) I'll plough hours and hours into em!

BOTW is an odd one. 100+ hours but I've still stopped short of beating Ganon. But mentally I don't feel like I'm done with that one yet. In fact I'm eager to get back into it. It's almost like I want to leave some of the game unfinished so I can play it again sometime.

kyleforrester87

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 I can respect that, and the further into this gen we get, the more I have a play history like yours with many partially finished games where I never saw the end. The only issue is, there are many games in which the ending is the best part, so I feel like I have to at least try to get to the conclusion, because sometimes that completely changes one’s perception of the game (for example: The Last of Us, NieR Automata, Red Dead Redemption, ... etc). Actually, that’s part of motivation in going back to HZD recently is because I quite enjoyed it at launch and was amazed at the quality of it and was having fun, but I got side tracked and never saw the ending. So many people have raved about the story and the conclusion that now I feel compelled to see it, and I’m having fun and enjoying it all over again. And I didn’t have to start over, thankfully.

But on a related note, I also have a strange compulsion in games to save my resources for a rainy day, always wondering what cool item for sale or for crafting that might come up late game that I want to have enough resources or in game currency for. And this time around with HZD I decided to just throw caution to the wind and start spending all my shards and components on the latest weapons upgrades and armor and I think it’s helping me enjoy it a bit more. Experiencing all the different weapons is sometimes part of the joy of a game. I’m trying to adjust my thinking tonknow it’s not always like real life where you need to save up for the future 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Pretty much the same as you minus the saves. God of War for instance took me a month to complete whereas some other people finished it in about a week.

I like to explore games and even when I try to concentrate on the main story I almost always get distracted by a side quests or something shiny over the hills.

And I share @KratosMD sentiments regarding starting games over again, I just don't understand why and the only times I can recall doing it is when I've had a game breaking bug quite near the start.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I started and beat Hue this week. It's an alright puzzle game. The game does have some cool ideas, but there's also a lot of "I've seen this before". Also the story is a bit shallow.

The music is a big plus, and saves the game eventually. 3 out of 5.

Kidfried

Gremio108

I finished Assassin's Creed Black Flag the other day, and finished Freedom Cry last night. By the end I was starting to feel a bit bored of the same old follow/eavesdrop quests, but then the second-to-last mission of Freedom Cry really caught me off guard, I thought it was superb. I'm not usually a fan of the storylines in AC games, but Freedom Cry's was great.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Kidfried

@Gremio108 Agree. Freedom Cry is pretty much all of the best of ACIV in a more compact and attractive package.

What made you play this four/five year old game by the way? :

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Gremio108

@Kidfried Good question, and one I kept asking myself after I'd failed the same eavesdrop mission for the 20th time in a row. Backlog guilt mainly. Had Black Flag sitting on the shelf for absolutely ages, and the fact that I had Freedom Cry from PS Plus sweetened the deal.

Also, I knew I was going to be too busy to start Dark Souls, so I needed something that would fill a few weeks. I was planning to do some more of the series but I think I'm all Assassin's Creed-ed out for a bit.

Gremio108

@KratosMD Yeah, superb game. I played MGS4 just before V came out, because I realised I needed to catch up. MGS V was a bit of a disappointment as a result.

Th3solution

@Gremio108 @KratosMD Yes, good to see some love for MGS4. Personally, I liked MGS5 even more. It does more open world style but each mission has the metal gear feel to it. Also it is less cinematic, so they may be a turn off if you enjoyed the long cutscenes. But the variety of gameplay is very good and the story I liked, despite the criticism it receives. For me it’s the one of my favorite PS4 games, probably top 10, but that’s one for the unpopular opinion thread I think. 😄

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD Glad you enjoyed it!!

Although I will say I enjoyed going back to Ishimura in DS2 in the same way I enjoyed going back to Shadow Moses in MGS4. I love it when games do that!

kyleforrester87

Gremio108

@KratosMD I guess play Ground Zeroes, and then if you're still hungry for more after that, get on V. It is still a great game, it's just not quite what I was expecting. It was my first PS4 game (Ground Zeroes aside) and I'm planning to replay it as my last game of this generation, whenever that will be. I think I'll enjoy it more next time.

Kidfried

@KratosMD They really need to rerelease this on PS4, though... (Just like Revengeance, which I didn't play). Loved reading your impressions.

@Gremio108 I tend to play Assassin's Creed games in the summer mainly. Just such a great time waster, but after you're done... well, you're done.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Yes, play Ground Zeroes. The main story mission is only an hour, tops, but then there's all sorts of fun nonsense to keep you busy for much, much longer. It's the perfect set-up for The Phantom Pain, but also a good place to take a break, as you're left with the cliffhanger like everybody else was between the two release dates.

Loved reading your thoughts on Guns of the Patriots! I completely agree with all of them. In particular, it always makes me smile whenever I see people praising the brief Crash Bandicoot sections in Uncharted 4, like it was some revolutionary new idea, because it just reminds me of Shadow Moses. The way everything is tied together is masterful and near-perfect, and rewards those who've played through and supported the franchise all along whilst also delivering an original, thought-provoking tale.

I never fail to laugh when Otacon calls up Snake to remind him to change the discs, and then is all "oh, wait, we're on Blu-Ray" and starts nerding out about HD gaming.

Glad you got the kiss, too! I love that whole fight so much!

No matter what may become of Metal Gear, I hope that Konami realise the weight of the legacy they own the rights to, and re-master and re-release at least the core games for modern consoles (and yeah, I'd also love to see Revengeance back, too, as that's the only true sequel to Guns of the Patriots).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@kratosMD Don't worry, the fulton recovery system is back and even more hilarious than in Peace Walker

I do find it amazing that you seem to have completed another game every time I come on this forum though..

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Kidfried

@KratosMD Phantom Pain, in my opinion, I'd again a few steps above Ground Zeroes. Thanks to the Fulton system and some gameplay cjanges.

What I like about the game so much, and what you've obviously already experienced judging from your clip is these unscripted moments that feel right like they could belong in action movies.

It's so cool seeing you experience the series in full, as it brings back memories of when I played these games for the first time.

Also, just keep your expectations in check for Phantom Pain. It's on of my favorite games in the series, but that's because I love the sandbox, open world experience for the series, because it changes the idea of stealth up a few notches. On the other hand it's very far removed from the earlier MGS, with a lesser focus on story.

Basically the idea of the game is you create your own adventures this time. And you'll only enjoy it only if you're open to that (and don't expect many cinematics) and also accept that Kojima couldn't finish the game the way he wanted to. So, at times the game can feel very DIY. It's asking a lot from you as a player.

But in terms of ganeplay, man, I feel it's way ahead of most games released. Anyway, for now, enjoy the optional missions in GZ. I had a lot of pleasure playing them last week, as I hadn't done those before. They're fun, and they kinda satisfied my hunger for more MGS, albeit only temporary.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic