Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 561 to 580 of 5,530

Rudy_Manchego

Having a mopping up kind of weekend. Finished God of War 2 on vita which was fun. Starting 3 now. Not essential for the new game but glad it got me off my backside to play through the vita ports as had been sat in my backlog for ages.

Also finally finished Doom on the Switch. Not sure how I felt about the game. The combat was great, some great moments as I playthrough but to be honest, by the end, I found it too repetitive. Simply defeat waves of enemies, move on and repeat. Was fun on the Switch though.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Th3solution

Just beat Abzu. I was using this as a diversion from intense combat based gaming. At first I thought it was pretty lame, but I knew it was only a 3-4 hr game so I figured I’d stick with it. I finished it over about 4 short play sessions. The ending does really make it worthwhile. The last 4 chapters are better than the early ones. It really started to pick up when you get into the really really deep sea with all the weird fish. Then the end is very mesmerizing and fun, in a mindless sort of way, the swimming through the water and jumping is like ballet with the fish and the classical music is very nice. I thought it was a Flower knock off at first, but it has a slightly different vibe, despite definitely being inspired by it. In the end though, it’s not for everyone, but I’m glad I played it. I somehow feel more environmentally conscious now. 😋

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@KratosMD Legends is so good. I actually bought my PS4 the day that game released, and bought it as my first game. Such a good choice.

Platforming is great, controls are good and levels never get boring! One of my favorite platformers too.

Kidfried

Ralizah

Legends is great (I'd have the platinum already if it wasn't for that ultra-grindy online trophy), but I feel like it's a much less focused experience than Origins was. It feels like a level pack.

But yeah, both games are still top ten platformers for me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

NecuVise

I beat Rayman Legends with my wife in coop and I think that's the best game we've played together. The only game that can challenge it is Overcooked. Wish there's a sequel for both of these games.

NecuVise

Kidfried

@NecuVise My partner hates platformers and thinks their childish, so I envy your experience together!

@Ralizah I agree about being less focused, but that's why I think Legends is actually better. Some of my favorite Mario games are 3D World and Galaxy 2. Their levels are all over the place, which excites me way more in a platformer.

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried It's a valid preference, but that sort of design makes a game less satisfying for me. My favorite platformers (SMB3, Galaxy, Sunshine, Rayman Origins, etc.) all have a rhythm and strong internal logic to how the levels progress. They feel like proper adventures.

Fight_Teza_Fight

Just beat RiME. Beautiful game.
Was going to initially get this on Switch, but the performance issues put me off. As it went on PS+ I figured I'd give it a shot & even though it still didn't run great, I would've paid money for it.

Tequila Works with The Sexy Brutale and RiME, 2 games I wasn't overly excited for, but 2 games I ended up absolutely loving.
They are definitely on my watch list now. Can't wait to see what's next.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

JohnnyShoulder

@Fight_Teza_Fight I enjoyed Rim too, it was a nice quite chilled game to play.

Sexy Brutale was only partially developed by Tequila Works though and was mainly developed by Cavalier Game Studios. Tequila were only brought in after a couple of years of the game being in development.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Fight_Teza_Fight

@JohnnyShoulder oh yeah I knew that. I didn’t have any big hopes for a ‘Tequila Works’ game. There were some pretty bad stories floating around over Tequila Works, when Sony apparently took back the dev kits during RiMEs early development.

Whether true or not, they did have a hand in two games I really enjoyed.
Going to give them the benefit of doubt moving forwards.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

NecuVise

Remember all the Sony fanboys when they declared RiME as a really bad game just because Sony decided to cut the ties with it? How wrong they were, just as all the die-hard fanboys are. If only could people consider themselves as gamers and just play and enjoy all the games, regardless of the platform.

NecuVise

RogerRoger

RiME is spectacular. Although it's one of those games that reminded me how difficult it is to play something when you're crying.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

I finished Rime last week. Did another couple of playthroughs for the platinum, too. It's the best Ueda game that Ueda never made.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Ralizah

Completed Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure on 3DS. Very 'blah' game, aside from the great animated cutscenes. SEGA was trying to make a rhythm game equivalent of Professor Layton and clearly failed. Very little development for the characters, the main plot is disappointing, the ending clears up almost nothing, and, for some reason, I had a much harder time getting into the rhythm of the various mini-games on display (although I did like the violin ones).

Ralizah

@KratosMD Yeah, I was sure I would love it. And, to be fair, it makes a good first impression, as the rhythm games are kind of funny the first time through, the animated cutscenes are, as I said, quite fetching, and it seems like it's building up an interesting mystery. The game CONSTANTLY repurposes and recycles mini-games, though, and the plot... blegh. The disappointing ending was the clincher for me. I get holding back all explanations if you're building up to a subsequent game (as this very clearly was), but to barely even address the central mystery driving the main character's actions... it came off as poorly written to me. It's like the game just needed to end, and they hadn't prepared a proper ending, so after the climax, the characters launch into another rhythm mini-game and BOOM! end credits roll. Granted, there's an after-credits cutscene, but it was still pretty gutting.

There are aspects I want to like. For example, you'll frequently need to record sounds in the in-game environment to overcome an obstacle of some sort. This might be a fun little puzzle if the game didn't always always put a big fat exclamation point on the area you need to go to to record the sound. If I don't have to deduce anything, it's not puzzle-solving so much as it is busywork.

Well, whatever. This game has been in my backlog for years, and I've always wanted to get around to it, so at least there's that.

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108 wrote:

I finished Rime last week. Did another couple of playthroughs for the platinum, too. It's the best Ueda game that Ueda never made.

Yes! Nail on the head dude! Rime pleasantly surprised me throught.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah it was more substantial than I thought it was going to be, both gameplay and story wise. The ending caught me by surprise, big time

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

NecuVise

I have just finished Dark Souls 3. It took me around 35 hours with some idling, and in the even I was level 90. There was only one optional boss at the very end of the game which I haven't beaten because I couldn't be bothered to do it.

Comparing ds3 to dks2 scholar of the first sin ds3 has better gameplay and levels are more balanced, but personally I like the story of dks2 more and there was more variety in level design.

What's curious to me is that it took me 48 hours and 129 levels to beat dks2 scholar of the first sin, without the DLCs but it took me only 35 hours and 90 levels in dks3. That's a pretty big difference. Anyway, I'm going to play Nioh now, so I'll hopefully compare it in the future.

NecuVise

Ralizah

@KratosMD In terms of gameplay advancements and sheer ambition, G/S/C are probably my favorite games in the series. They took such massive steps from the rudimentary first gen games, and being able to explore Kanto again is still easily the coolest open secret in the entire series.

BAMozzy

Just finished God of War - at least the story and the majority of all the collectibles anyway...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic