Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,421 to 2,440 of 5,490

Kidfried

@nessisonett Yea, I enjoyed my time with the game as well. Its atmosphere is perfect and it was over before it became stale (which is a rare quality in many games these days).

It's way better than people give it credit for, even the remake itself. It's very faithful to the original, and thus not the most ambitious port, but there's something to appreciate in that as well.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Thrillho Yea, this site's guide is definitely the best if you're going for the platinum.

Kidfried

Gremio108

Finished The Outer Worlds last night. What a great game. So much heart, such well-written characters, so many hilarious dialogue options. A game that will live long in the memory.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

TheFrenchiestFry

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

It's not a game I'd recommend for anyone who has yet to play MGS1, as the tonal shift and atmosphere is completely different from the PS1 original, and in that regard it kinda stumbles as a REMAKE

However as a reimagining for those who have already played the original and view it as supplementary material, it's a freaking blast, if a bit more on the easy side given MGS2's mechanics within MGS1's environments really snap some of the boss fights in half, especially Revolver Ocelot, and there's only so much I can be immersed in the game's story when Liquid Snake starts randomly doing backflips while discussing the genetic bond between him and Solid Snake. Although I do really like Rob Paulsen in the role of Gray Fox and am happy he got to reprise the role in Smash Bros. Brawl & Ultimate as an Assist Trophy.

Another mechanic I really welcomed was that enemies no longer dissipate into thin air when you kill or incapcitate them and you actually have to go through the effort of hiding the bodies to avoid raising suspicion from other Geonome soldiers around Shadow Moses scouting the area you're currently at. Some intercom announcers might even tell the enemies to raise their security levels and act more dilligently if they sense a solider hasn't responded to their requests to relocate to another area or meet up with them, and it definitely adds a level of intensity that just wasn't there in the original game.

It's a shame Nintendo fans missed out on most of the content from the Solid era of the franchise seeing as how only Ghost Babel, MGS1 and MGS3 have ever made an appearance on that family of hardware (surprised MGS2 never got ported over given Snake in Smash is directly based on MGS2 Snake and it would've been as easy to do as Twin Snakes given they already had the mechanics in place), and that this game is still stranded on GameCube the same way MGS4 is on the PS3, but Twin Snakes as both a collaborative effort between Nintendo and Konami, as well as a reimagining of what I consider to be one of the very best games on the PS1 is still a really good game, even if I do prefer the original for its harder difficulty and more down to Earth tone, cursed raven shamans and nanomachines not withstanding.

A solid 8/10 game. Definitely a highlight in terms of GameCube exclusives

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

nessisonett

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, Silicon Knights were truly talented but seemed to have been done in by the business side of things. We can only dream about an Eternal Darkness sequel.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Eternal Darkness utilizing the Switch's HD Rumble could open up so many possibilities as to how they can break the fourth wall even further

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Tjuz

@Gremio108 Totally agree about The Outer Worlds. I really had a blast with it earlier this year. Glad to see you liked it too. It's a shame I'll probably never get to play Peril on Gorgon because I don't think I had a save before the final confrontation. Will you be playing the DLC? I've heard mostly good things. You'll have to let me know what you think if you do!

Tjuz

Thrillho

@Gremio108 @Tjuz I enjoyed it too but the ending felt like it suddenly came from nowhere. And that final boss is something of a step up from any other combat encounter you have.

The enemy and weapon types also felt a bit limited but for the most part that didn’t bother me too much.

But the writing was great and the companions were brilliant too. I especially liked the little comments made between your companions, rather than directly to you.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Thrillho You can bypass the last boss by other means other than combat. I think I beat it every possible way by respecing at the ship, but yeah combat was definitely a step up in in difficulty with what came before. I think the whole last level was like that though, but again you can bypass most of the combat.

@Gremio108 Well done! The game possibly has the best writing and characters I've experienced this gen. Parvati was such a well written character.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, I replayed it with a 100 speech spec to basically wander merrily through the last area.

Thrillho

Gremio108

@Tjuz I've not decided on the DLCs yet. If there's a Game of the Year-esque package with everything on, I might find it hard to resist. I'll definitely let you know.

@Thrillo While I agree that the ending comes too soon, I was aware of it, and so I was fully prepared. As such, I enjoyed the ending for what it was. You're right though, what with the whole prison break scenario it feels like the game is just building up a head of steam, and then it ends.

The dialogue between companions was great and it encouraged me to rotate companions and take people I wouldn't normally have wanted to bring along (Vicar Max I'm looking at you)

@JohnnyShoulder Parvati and Nyoka were my favourite companions, although I did end up taking Felix along a fair bit, as he was less judgemental about some of my... erm... let's say morally dubious decisions.

Gremio108

@Thrillho Yeah I didn't use SAM much. I wonder what he has to say about some of the situations you get into throughout the game?

nessisonett

And that’s the end of the Ezio Trilogy. I’m sad that it’s over as I do love Ezio but it’s nice to see him get a proper send-off. It was quite the emotional ending and I really took to this series in a way I didn’t think I would after the first game had aged so badly. It really will be interesting to see how I feel about the later entries with the classic style.

Saw a guy in the credits called Willy Wang. Safe to say I was giggling like an idiot.

Edited on by nessisonett

Kidfried

@nessisonett Congrats. It took me way longer to play all of those back in the day, that's for sure.

And Revelations is one of the few AC games with a great ending.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett You are a machine lol. In that respect you remind me of Kratos. The ex forum member, not the video game character. 😅

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Kidfried @JohnnyShoulder Since I’m swamped with work during the week, I probably have an hour to play at most but the weekend I can end up playing for hours at a time. Like I said, Brotherhood and Revelations really weren’t that long without doing all the side content but I don’t regret skipping them, it’s mostly just padding even if it can be quite fun.

nessisonett

And that’s Morrowind’s main story done too! I’m on a roll!

nessisonett

@Arugula I’ll be there soon! Literally just got Tag Tournament 2 and then onto 7. Is the story mode any good? 6’s was absolute pants so I’ll take anything better than that 😂

Brydontk

So I got Bloodborne at release, tried it, and gave up after 20 shots at the first boss because I was super stubborn and refused to believe that beating the game after calling for co-op was illegitimate. Tried it again a couple years later, gave up again. But finally, FINALLY, I picked it back up last month, caved and called for co-op to beat the first boss, and once I did, I couldn't put it down. Bloodborne has made a believer out of me and may have turned me onto the Soulsborne genre as a whole. Just beat the true ending for it last week and was going to platinum it but opted to shelve it for now to continue on my backlog journey.

Edited on by Brydontk

Brydontk

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic