Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,301 to 2,320 of 5,530

PSVR_lover

I played the first chapter of the game and loved it. For free it was great. I heard that the other chapters sucked and didn’t go any farther.

From what I am hearing that has not changed.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

nessisonett

Finally got round to beating Crash Bandicoot as part of the N-Sane Trilogy. It was pretty good, classic platforming but dear lord, is it frustrating at times. The bosses are flat out annoying to be honest, you die every 5 seconds until you work out what you’re even supposed to do. I did still enjoy it mostly, although I completely cheesed The High Road. That level is evil.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@nessisonett Did you manage the Stormy Ascent DLC level? That was brutal and I can see why it was cut from the original game.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Thank you for the considerate tagging, and for remembering my interest (which has now increased, given your thoughts on the game)! I'm glad finishing it gave you a boost, although also sorry to hear that your disappointing ending was practically pre-determined; that's actually quite impressive for a choice-based game, but also quite frustrating for folks curious to see all the differences.

But for its conclusion to lift your experience out of the clunky, average mud as much as it did says a lot, and makes me real curious to check it out. Do you think there'll be a second season?

Anyway, congratulations on finally beating it, and enjoy your reward of Marmite on toast!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

nessisonett wrote:

...although I completely cheesed The High Road. That level is evil.

@nessisonett Did you run along the ropes? Because don't worry, I think we've all done that, at one point or another. I certainly did, and have zero regrets about doing so!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Oh yes, no qualms about that one. None at all.

@Thrillho I played it a few times, died and then thought just nope. There was no way I’d beat it to be honest.

HallowMoonshadow

It took me like 60 lives @nessisonett to beat it and it really wasn't that fun at all. I can't imagine what madmen would try doing the time trial for it!

I really quite enjoyed Crash 1 myself with it's focus on pure platforming.

Well done on beating the game!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I don’t think there will be a second season, mostly because I don’t think the game sold particularly well. I haven’t seen numbers, but I just get the feeling it bombed because the game pretty much disappeared from the gaming news site public consciousness after the first episode. It has had a bit of a ‘slow burn’ sales-wise I think because I was able to find a couple smaller sites that had some playthroughs and guides, but there is surprisingly little online chatter. I did find a smaller site that had the most info and I think that’s where I saw the criteria to get the good ending and how the requisite decisions involved even early episode paths which I’d not taken.

I’d have liked to see something like the Detroit Become Human or Virtue’s Last Reward flowchart system where there is more disclosure about the branching narrative, but The Council is nowhere near as sophisticated a game as those, even if it does have the RPG elements which are absent from other choice-based multiple ending story games.
Nevertheless, I think the idea warrants a second season, even if it’s to use the same mechanics and gameplay outline and just do another area of alternate history and explore a similar setting with different characters. (Perhaps instead of Napoleon, Washington, Godoy, and Co. in the turn of the 18th century they could focus on a council between Lincoln, Victoria, Pius IX, Wilhelm, etc in the mid 1800’s or something like that). A follow up season or outright sequel would be good, if they fine tune the issues I mentioned and help the flow. Unfortunately I don’t think it will happen.

A quick google search shows Big Bad Wolf Studio’s current project to be Vampire: The Masquerade — Swansong, which apparently is based on a popular table top game and a follow up to previous attempts to turn that into a video game franchise. It looks like it might play out like a narrative driven game with RPG elements so it could play similarly to The Council, I don’t know. I’m not as intrigued by a vampire game though as I am the historical fiction setting.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution VtM is definitely worth checking out, the original Bloodlines game is a flawed masterpiece and the sequel’s looking great so far. There’s a few spin offs now so it’s pretty cool that team’s working on one of them.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Are you a fan of the table top game? I’ve never seen a Vampire table top game before.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I haven’t been massively into tabletop stuff in years but the original Bloodlines game is one of my favourite games ever. It did so much right, it just got rushed out and so runs like crap and needs about 5 patches to work.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I think I've played that boardgame before (it's leaping out because I tend to steer clear of the V word as much as possible). Can't remember too much about it, I played a lot of boardgames in a short space of time, but best of luck to them translating it into the digital realm, as that can be a notoriously hit-and-miss undertaking, to say the least. Shame it likely means we won't see a follow-up to The Council, particularly since you say it only really gets going towards its end.

You're right, you and I were jumping on any mention of it here because it literally wasn't being discussed anywhere else, by professionals or users. Glad there are at least some sources out there for it now, particularly since I'm not somebody who's shy about reaching for Google whenever I get stuck, or am hunting for a specific trophy. I'll keep that in mind, cheers!

There's always more history to use (as Assassin's Creed continues to prove) so you never know, if the studio find future success they might wanna push for a sequel someday.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @Th3solution There are actually two Vampire: The Masquerade games coming out. The aforementioned Swansong by Big Bad Wolf Studio, I've not seen much of that and don't know too much about it. And then there is Bloodlines 2, a first person action RPG which sounds like a mish mash of Cyberpunk 2077 and Dishonoured.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I so wish that the original Bloodlines was on modern consoles/actually finished properly. If the second one lives up to that potential, it could really be one of my favourite games this gen. Immersive sims are such an underdeveloped genre and it’s pretty crazy that games like Deus Ex and Thief are in some ways more impressive than their modern counterparts.

HallowMoonshadow

I beat the main campaign of DOOM 64 @RogerRoger & @Ralizah

That last level without being able to close any of the portals or use the fully powered Unmaker was quite possibly one of the most evil boss fights I've ever had! 😥

My quicksave usage was totally justified there!!!

I probably will go through it again a bit more thoroughly next time (And in hindsight not use the quicksave as I was actually pretty fine going through it most of the time) and get to the secret levels so I can see what the Unmaker's like fully powered up.

Plus I have the lost levels to go through as well which should be fun!

I really have enjoyed it and I can why you rate it so highly Ral in particular!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Awesome! Good job.

Yeah, the final boss level is just brutal without a powered-up Unmaker. Like you, I didn't collect the demon keys on my first playthrough and had to face the Mother Demon after mowing down hordes of demons, and it wasn't easy. The only way I managed to beat her initially was by continually stun-locking her with point-blank Super Shotgun blasts and rhythmically moving immediately afterward to avoid her fire attack.

Going into that final stage with a fully powered-up Unmaker in a subsequent playthrough is hilarious and sweet, sweet revenge.

The extra campaign in this game is surprisingly challenging, btw.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I thought it addressed almost every issue I have with classic DOOM. Amazing game. Can't imagine playing through it on this controller, though.

Untitled

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah One thing I’ve realised playing Ocarina of Time on a DS4 is just how accurate the N64 stick is in comparison. It’s somewhat too accurate in that it feels slippy at times but I actually like the fork controller.

HallowMoonshadow

It took me a good ten minutes of retrying the mother demon alone with the various weapons before I reached my wit's end & just ran straight into her and used the BFG9000 @Ralizah. Luckily the three shots I had remaining seemed to be the magic number in wiping her out easily 😄

I've only handled a N64 controller a couple of times to play Pokémon stadium and even then it was awkward to hold so... Hats off to anyone who beat that on the N64!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah

@nessisonett I don't like the design, but I'm also not a three-handed alien.

The N64 stick was very... brittle. So I imagine it probably works well for smaller, more accurate movements. Still not a fan, though. And playing an FPS without either a mouse or a second analog stick seems insane to me. But then I remember people used to play DOOM games with just a keyboard. I can't even imagine!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nice. Overpowering the thing didn't work for me, unfortunately, because normal tactics led to it throwing me around the battlefield with its attacks and quickly killing me.

It's definitely the hardest DOOM boss I've fought to date.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic