Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 5,525

Ralizah

@nessisonett Between emulation and the sheer number of smaller or foreign games that never get ported to consoles, I don't think I could ever do without some sort of PC that's useful for gaming.

Also, I'll never, for the life of me, understand why people object to "pirating" games that are out-of-print and/or unobtainable by any sort of legitimate source. How is it more ethical to pay some random dude for an overpriced copy of his old PC game than it is to just download the thing and enjoy it without being juiced by secondhand sellers?

It's too bad I didn't create an ISO image of my copy of Silent Hill 2 before loaning it out to someone (of course, I never saw the thing again).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah The only reason I bought the disc is that if society truly crumbles and the whole world implodes, I have a hard backup and can sit in my room playing Silent Hill 2 over and over, while ignoring my impending doom. Might not be the greatest game for my mental health unless I consistently aim for the dog ending.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Have you played Axiom Verge? @kyleforrester87 will agree with me in that it is a great metroidvania game and probably more similar to Super Metroid than anything I've played this gen.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

kyleforrester87

@JohnnyShoulder yeah it’s my favourite metroidvania (although I didn’t play a lot of the classics back in the day, I have found they don’t hold up so well when going back without any nostalgia either).

Jury is out on the second so far... hope it’s good!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD I played Axiom Verge and Super Metroid more or less in the same year for the first time and Axiom Verge was far superior in my opinion. Sure it still has that 8-bit (16-bit?) style but it felt modern in the same way lots of retro styled modern games do - (Fez, HLD, Meatboy, Celeste, Shovel Knight, Sonic Mania, etc..)

Note also I said that they don't hold up as well - very different to not holding up at all.

Finally, Axiom Verge has a darker, mature tone that I appreciated. (That's not to say Metroid isn't atmospheric.)

(Also I played Samus Returns recently, that games such a drag!)

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

carlos82

I'd probably say that Symphony of The Night is still the best Metroidvania I've ever played, I've not tried Axiom Verge (might give it a go this weekend) but I agree with @kyleforrester87 about Samus Returns, It wasn't great back then so I don't really know why they remade that one and not Super Metroid. Speaking of which I did replay that recently and the map could do with a bit more detail and some things like the wall jump are a bit trickier then they really need to be, it would definitely need tweaks should it be released today

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

kyleforrester87

@carlos82 I missed out on a lot of the earlier ones, i’d obviously played them before Axiom Verge but it’s the first one I properly got into so I do hold it in a high regard. Wouldn’t say it’s better than the classics to the masses, but to me it is.

kyleforrester87

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Samus Returns was decent but more a novelty for actually having a 2D Metroid that was new. I just dislike it when Metroidvanias are both that linear and have a distinct ‘collectible’ that you need to progress, it feels lazy. It made sense on Game Boy but it’s been however many years since that, they should have updated it more.

Rudy_Manchego

@nessisonett @kyleforrester87 I enjoyed Samus Returns for possibly the first half or so but the enemy 'bosses' as they were are just largely repeated and became frustrating and to be honest, I got to a boss then just gave up. Keep meaning to finish it as I think I am probably 85% ish done.

I think the game and controls and graphics were great, just very repetative and quite linear.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

mookysam

@carlos82 I guess the reasoning was that the original Metroid II is rather archaic/crap and therefore the title that would have benefited most from a remake. I think the developers largely succeeded. Although a little simple by today's standards Super Metroid holds up really well. I agree that the map and wall jump would benefit from some updating. My favourite Metroidvania is probably still Symphony of the Night.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Thrillho

As I mentioned in the trophy thread, I recently finished Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. I seem to remember @Ralizah doing a big writeup on it so I'll just put a few thoughts.

Untitled

It's a really neat platformer with plenty of character and a fun art style. I liked the fact that all 20 levels had an alternative mode to play through as well; water levels can be replayed in a frozen state, an industrial level has a powered and unpowered version, one level is replayed vertically. The levels are obviously quite different but it's a cool way of replaying levels with a different twist.

The titular "impossible lair" is the end game level which encompasses features of many of the games levels but can be tackled at any point. The USP of the game is that completing levels unlocks bees which enable you to take a hit when completing the lair. You can go straight in without any or unlock all 48 to give yourself as much of a chance as possible. Even with all 48, it's still tough. Doing it without any of your bee armour right at the beginning of the game gives you the one tonic I missed on my top image (thankfully not needed for the platinum).

They have since patched the game to give a few checkpoints along this route; I think the original reviewer on here didn't have this option which would have been much less fun as an entire run through is about 25 minutes.

It was a nice change after FF7R so thanks to those who recommended it previously.

Thrillho

Ralizah

@Thrillho There were no checkpoints when I played. Death meant starting over from the beginning.

It was rough, lol.

Glad you enjoyed it. Good job on basically 100%-ing the game (the one tonic doesn't count; completing the Impossible Lair without any bees is an insane, unreasonable challenge)

nessisonett

I beat Trails in the Sky SC Evo there, easily the best game I’ve played on Vita. I was absolutely hooked and ended up playing 43 hours in only a few weeks. The final couple of chapters are enormous, the final dungeon is possibly larger than the entire overworld. I really liked the first game but the second amps the tension and lays the groundwork for the rest of the series by sowing seeds that by all accounts only get resolved in Cold Steel 4. Onto the 3rd now, although I’ve heard it’s the equivalent of Tolkien’s appendices in that the story’s done but it expands on certain plot elements.

mookysam

@nessisonett Nice one! I finished the PSP version late last year and absolutely loved it. The attention to detail in the world building is brilliant.

Black Lives Matter

nessisonett

@mookysam I really haven’t heard much talk about the Sky trilogy, it’s more Cold Steel that gets the plaudits so I was surprised at just how amazing the game was. I’m glad that I used the English patch though, the voice acting’s actually great and the anime cutscenes add a lot to certain memorable moments. The same team’s translated the 3 Sky games and the 2 Crossbell games so there should be a bit of cohesion at least.

mookysam

@nessisonett It's a shame because I think playing the whole of the saga would greatly enhance player satisfaction from the Cold Steel series. The upcoming arc should wrap everything up very nicely.

I guess being the Sky games went under the radar in the West because of how late into the PSPs life the first one was released - and then the PSP SC was years into the Vita's life. I'm so glad that XSeed stuck at it. Apparently the translation and localisation was a mammoth undertaking, but it really feels like a labour of love. The presentation of the PSP games is quite basic, but for me the world building, script and incredible attention to detail really drew me in and made me care about the characters. What did you think of the music in the Evo version? I've listened to it on Amazon Music but think I prefer the original game's soundtrack.

Black Lives Matter

nessisonett

@mookysam I used the original soundtrack, there are a few good Evo tracks, the forest theme in particular is fantastic, but most of the originals are far superior. The DLC enables you to switch between both tracks at any point in the options which I always appreciate, like FFX HD. I’ll put the differences between the forest themes down here!

Ralizah

No idea when I'll get around to playing it, but I modded my copy of SC on PC with the Evo music. Also the Zanmai version of Sophisticated Battle, lol. The track was in the game's files, so it must show up in the sequel.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic