Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,041 to 2,060 of 5,490

andreoni79

@BearsEatBeets Only "Clear time" and "Time saved" determine the ranking. Ignoring collectables and rely on autosaves will help if you look for a higher rank.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder Gonna have a go again tonight so this might be the 11th first time I have played PSVR... as Madonna sang, like a VR virgin, felling nauseous for the very time.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego The VR remix that was never released, someone needs to get onto Madge and make it happen.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder Madge can add Beat Saber to the list that PSN is telling me I have played for the first time. Had the bloody thing since launch. Then I tried Ghost Giant for the actual first time and that didn't show up.

My new Youtube project will be me dressed as Madonna remixing all her songs to explain all the ways that the PSN makes me look like a VR newb.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego you can count on my subscription! I tried to think of a Madonna song to cleverly tie it back, but it's too early for that.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder I was thinking Ray of Light for my first video..

'And I feel like I PSN hates me
And I feel
And I feel like Beat Saber makes my arms tired
And I feel'

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Your write-up makes PSVR sound quite interesting.

I guess I'll try another day.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger Thanks!

I have had a PSVR since launch and I was discussing with a friend who was tempted to buy one and I find it a hard recommendation in a way. When it first came out I was very positive but as time has come on, I can see its shortcomings. I in no way regret the purchase and there are some great titles. I'd even rate Astro Bot rescue as one of the best platformers made. But my advice to others is now if you have any doubt about whether it is for you, don't make the leap.

I wonder how others feel about PSVR as it closes in on its 4th birthday?

Thrillho

@Rudy_Manchego I still think it’s hard to justify buying if for such a small handful of exclusive titles.

I’ve had my finger over the trigger to buy one a few times but know it will spend most time in the box.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Either my Madonna gag was too subtle, or too rubbish.

Probably the latter.

In all seriousness, I was encouraged when RR529 gave Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot a mostly favourable write-up lately. It sounded like an actual, full-sized, full-blown game in VR (rather than the eclectic mix of minigame moments making up the majority of PSVR's back-catalogue). When PSVR launched, it had Batman, Tomb Raider, Star Wars and Star Trek content available; me being me, I should've been foaming at the mouth but, since they all totalled about eight hours of gameplay combined, I couldn't justify shelling out.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger I have re-read your comment and actually, that was a sublime Madonna gag and I was just toooooo stupid to get it. Genuinely made me chuckle. I also re-read it in the electro synth pop voice from that song!

You are right though - I mean, I won't like sitting in an X-wing cockpit and attacking a Star Destroyer was amazing. But it lasted 15 minutes and you can't justify that money on it. The Tomb Raider VR level was not very good and nearly made me vomit. Batman was amazing but again, an expensive tech demo.

@LN78 Funny you should mention Beat Saber, I've been getting back into it for some general exercise/gaming fun. It makes my arms sore and I am terrible at it. My work colleagues love BoxVR as well and are on that every day!

@Thrillho Yeah it is why I find it hard to recommend. When I am in it I love it and am very impressed. When I am not in it, it does spend spells in the case not being used. Then I get it out and fall in love with it again! My main gripe is the move controllers - they are not great and hard to get hold of. Currently scalpers are selling them for over £100 a pair boxed.

RogerRoger

Today I polished off the original Max Payne as a PS2 Classic on PS4.

It's not worth a full review, because it's ultimately so shallow. Back in the day, you'd have turned up for its unique storyline and brand new implementation of bullet-time; they might've been enough to bolster what is otherwise a six-hour, linear shooter (irrespective of historical context). If you approach it fresh today, it feels like a footnote, albeit an enjoyably mindless one. It can get a bit tough towards the end, but levels are incredibly short, so replaying a few of them to learn enemy spawn patterns is no big ask.

Regrettably, it also highlights the ever-so-slight shame of the whole PS2 Classic line. Don't get me wrong; I think it's great to have, and it's been criminally underserved this generation, but simply porting over the base PS2 code and slapping a few trophies over the top is kinda lazy. I'm playing on a console which has zero issues running Horizon, Spider-Man and Uncharted 4, so why is the framerate in this wonky old game still tanking during busy bust-ups? Why is making Max walk in a straight line so thumb-achingly awful? Would some minor tweaks really have cost that much?

Lucky I got it on the cheap, then. Am glad to have finally played it, but disappointed to have discovered its reputation couldn't paper over the cracks of a rushed port.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I finally finished the main story in Assassin’s Creed Origins. I’ll not write a full review, but at the risk of giving everyone AC overload, here’s just a few small impressions I took away. A mini-review, of sorts.

I’ve been chronicling my experience mostly over on the AC thread, and I had some highs and lows with the game, but mostly highs. It was a really fun open world game with a decent story that got better toward the end. I still think the narrative is a little jumbled, but it’s partly a result of the huge world and innumerable side quests. Toward the end though, I came to care about the characters and the conclusion hit me in the feels a little more than I expected.

The gameplay is solid, combat is pretty decent for a huge game like this. The stealth approach continues to be the most satisfying way to clear a camp though. I won’t reiterate the games largest weakness (imo) which is the repetitive nature of the missions and side quests, which has been talked about by myself and many other players already.

Technically, the game is also a mixed bag. It’s a marvel to behold at times, and quite a feat to squeeze this much content into a single disc. I had only a couple times that the game froze on me, once was today in the closing hours. I had to exit the game and restart it, which caused me to replay a section of my current mission again. Not a huge deal, but a game halting bug is never an acceptable thing in today’s age, even if it only happens twice in 60-70 hrs of gameplay.

I’m quite satisfied with how the story ended and I look forward to playing Odyssey. I can see some links between the two games forming, narrative-wise, so that helps. But mostly I just want to experience the AC gameplay and exploration in a new setting with new characters, a new protagonist, new enemies, and some varied RPG mechanics.

Overall, I give my praise to AC Origins for rekindling my interest in the series after Black Flag extinguished it. A solid outing it was and I’m excited again for the future. I recommend it for long time fans and for newcomers alike. If you like open worlds, exploration, stealth, light RPG with skill trees and weapon selection.... there are fewer games out there that do it this well.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@Arugula I was thinking the same thing. Ubisoft are just fantastic at what they do. And they do it without a lot of bell-ringing, headlines, or controversy (a la EA, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Bethesda, Square-Enix...) When the announcement for AC Valhalla was made this week and a release date given, I was thinking to myself that they’ll probably hit that date. I don’t think we see multiple delays with them usually. As far as I can tell they tend to put our a solid product and do so usually without hiccups. Pundits would say it’s because they pump out the same games over and over with a new coat of paint, but I think it’s beyond that.

For example, I spent an hour or so with the Discovery Mode in Origins and I’m impressed that they included that and how accurate their research is.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Ghost Recon: Breakpoint says hello. Sure it is only one game but it had a massive impact on some of their forthcoming games, with them being delayed. Also Assassins Creed Synidicate and Unity were released in a buggy state. There was a lot of negative media attention towards those games which lead to them taking an extra year to develop Origins.

Gremio108

Dark Souls Ringed City done, and with that, the Dark Souls series is properly finished. There's a hole in my life now. I might have to complete my current game cycle as a last hurrah

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Well done sir, how did you rate it compared to the other DLC from the other Soulsborne games?

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks! I thought it was a great mix of all the classic Dark Souls staple ingredients - amazing architecture, a horrible swamp, a big angry dragon - but what really elevated it for me was the boss fight with Gael at the end. I love how the final fight of the series wasn't a battle against a magic tree or a big giant beast, but instead it was a one-on-one against a bloke with a big sword and a tragic backstory. Great stuff

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Gremio108 I was seriously impressed with that fight as a whole. It took me quite a few tries but it was worth slogging through one of my least favourite areas for imo.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic