Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 5,489

mookysam

Catalyst is frequently very cheap in the PSN sales @Rudy_Manchego and well worth a play. Agreed with @RogerRoger that the open world is pretty pointless and has EA's grubby corporate mitts all over it, which is a real shame as so much could have been done by expanding the tight concepts of the original.

I found the linear levels in Catalyst rather good - especially the optional server buildings - but would say the game actually comes alive with the various "races". A lot of the fun there is derived from finding the best route to the finish. Level design aside the game certainly refines the parkour platforming of the original.

One aspect of the game I found particularly odd is that it completely reboots the story. Was that necessary after just one game? Oh, and the writing sucks so just ignore that. 😂

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

PSVR_lover

I just finished Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round Story Mode and loved it. An Amazingly fun Fighter.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam @RogerRoger Reboots the story? Well that seems very unncessary, the original left it pretty open for more stories. It practically said 'to be continued'. Oh well.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

LieutenantFatman

Finished Resi 3 last night, great fun. Just trying to decide whether to do additional playthroughs as it was a lot of fun, or move onto other games in the backlog. It's a bit shorter than most Resi games but I really didn't mind.

LieutenantFatman

HallowMoonshadow

My months long odyssey of Iconoclasts finally came to an end last week.

Granted the only reason it took so long was because I played it rather sparsely with a half hour here and there (I took just under 10 hours) but it was a pretty enjoyable romp with a few flaws... It's a bit of a shame only 5% of people who've played it have reached the end! Definitely something I'll play again... might even try to beat those boss rush modes!

I also beat Shining Resonance Refrain last week which was also a fairly enjoyable romp.

A bit more flawed then Iconoclasts I feel and much more unambitious then the indie developed by a single person but I didn't have a bad time with it either.

The characters, despite being fairly cliché and tropey, definitely helped make it a more smoother journey and I can see myself playing it again sometime...

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@TrueAssassin86x The DS ones are fantastic, HeartGold is one of my favourite games of all time and Platinum is great too. X/Y ruined the franchise for me though, some people loved them but I completed it in one sitting, albeit about 20 hours play.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I liked Iconoclasts but found the difficulty massively ramped up over halfway through and I struggled quite a bit. Still, the art and the story/characters were very enjoyable.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

mookysam

@TrueAssassin86x I'll add to @Nessisonett's praise of the DS Pokémon games; they truly are fantastic and well worth playing. They're missing some of the QoL improvements of more recent games (including Shield) so might take a little while to get in to, but it doesn't really detract from how fun they are. It's actually interesting as a comparison because of Game Freak made the most out of the hardware.

As for the 3DS entries Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are great remakes of the Game Boy Advance titles. They've received some flack for not including all of the Emerald content, but nevertheless they massively improve on Ruby/Sapphire. I didn't like X/Y too much as the quest falls apart a bit after a certain point. The game starts off strong, with good map design and a lot of variation and then suddenly it rushes to the finish. The new Pokémon are neat though. Especially Meowstic and Hawlucha.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Rudy_Manchego

So I beat Tomb Raider Anniversary (Xbox 360 version played in the end using XB1 backwards compatibility). I played this because I realised I never did back in the day. I did Legend on PS2 and Underworld on 360 and I intend to replay those at some point but thought I would give this a go.

I enjoyed it a lot, though older gen design and controls being the caveat. Felt good to get back to an 'older school' Tomb Raider where level exploration and puzzle was linear and the main focus. Storywise, I know this ties into the Legend/Underworld series of games and was Ok for what it was. I did love some of the platforming though. The controls were sometimes a little loose but overall still played well and I still love climbing in the Tomb Raider games.

Only qualm is that Lara struggles with killing a dude in this but has gunned down multiple endangered or even extinct creatues. Not an animal fan, clearly.

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Sweet! Glad you mostly had fun; I'll admit, Anniversary is my least-favourite of the Keeley Hawes trilogy, but that's only because I'm a sucker for the action movie, Bond-esque globetrotting in Legend and the vast underwater areas in Underworld. By comparison, the silent, eerie environments (particularly Egypt) feel jarringly isolated. It's still a cracking game, though, and brave of Crystal Dynamics to stick it between those fast-paced, action-packed bookends.

The whole "Lara feels bad for killing humans, but not animals" thing is a teensy bit weird, yeah. I get the logic they were going for; you can't reason with a wild animal, so you've only got a split-second to react if one jumps out at you, and this is supposed to be one of Lara's earliest adventures, etc. but I think it could've been handled a little differently, without damaging her character.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

@RogerRoger Yeah I agree - I think it still worked as it was a loose remake of the first game followed the more lonely PS1 style experiences. That said, I also prefer Legend and Underworld from what I can remember. It is nice to have a fairly consistent trilogy.

I guess though that the murdering people does make sense as the game only has animals/dinoasaurs/monsters whereas later games she does kill people more readily so I can see what they were doing. SO now I only have 2 more Tomb Raider games for Tomb Raider 3 and the Last Revelation for home console mainline releases and I have then played them all!

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, it's kinda the by-product of having the flashback remake in the middle, as she's gunning mercs down like Rambo in Legend. It was a big criticism of Tomb Raider II back in the day, when it had more human enemies than animals.

Eek! You've got the two most difficult games left! Best of luck!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

Okay so I have just finished my replay of Uncharted from the collection. I've not played it since it's PS3 release so it's been a while but I found it more annoying than I remembered. It was mainly in a few sections. The Jet ski up the rapids felt all over the place in terms of control wasn't massively fun but nothing major. The worst bit was chapter 16 the treasure vault. I lost count of how many times I plummeted to my death or had to re-climb a section over and over as I wasn't sure where I was supposed to go. Not a fan of bits in games where you can walk of an edge and instantly die or try random jumps you can't make because it's unclear if you can or not. The final 'fight' caused me a few deaths too until I figured the 'correct way' to get past it. I played on default normal difficulty by the way.
Ultimately the gun-play is still pretty solid and the character/story engaging so I enjoyed it but probably less so than I remembered.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

@BearsEatBeets That’s funny, my mum was in the treasure vault a few nights ago and was lost for quite a while. It really isn’t the best designed area in the series.

Th3solution

@BearsEatBeets Good point about the annoyance of judging jumps in games. I hate that when I can’t tell if the distance is achievable. I’ve wasted my share of gaming time wandering around a section looking for the progression point only to realize that the ledge across the chasm is reachable by jump even though it looks too far. And the opposite as well, like you said, when you think you can make it and jump to your death a bunch of times trying.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@BearsEatBeets In the immortal words of my mum, “At least in National Treasure, there were torches everywhere. I can’t see sh*t”.

BearsEatBeets

@nessisonett lol, your mum sounds cool. Why they decided to have Elena carry the torch instead of Nate at points I've no idea.

Just finished my second playthrough of Resi 3. Despite being quite a bit quicker and less dead I still got the same rank. Still, I did do all the files and locks this time. Looks like I need to stop my OCD of wanting to pick up every item and stopping to try and take photos. I wasn't going for a speed run but I was trying to be a bit more focused.
Untitled
Untitled

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Rudy_Manchego

I dusted off the PSVR last night and am now rather sore after playing Lethal VR for several hours. A very basic shooting game from Team 17 but oddly compelling and only takes an hour or two to get all the trophy. Also, some really nice touches when it comes to game homages - particularly the Hogan's Alley NES homage (mixed with Dirty Harry). As well as a neat Robocop segment.

I think I got this in a sale for a few pounds and was worth that though of course, very short. Also got some good exercise so will be playing more VR I think in coming weeks/days.

JohnnyShoulder

@Rudy_Manchego And it wasn't the tenth first time you played PSVR. Well done PlayStation.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic