Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,861 to 1,880 of 5,530

nessisonett

@Thrillho I’m glad it’s seemingly as good as the rest then because the original reviews weren’t that kind. Now for the decision of whether to buy the collection now or wait for that sweet sweet physical edition with the PS3 box...

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

Well I've just had a little look at that howlongtobeat @Th3solution

You probably could beat it in 52 hours for the main story... But I assume that's either them playing on the Story mode (that nerfs enemies stats by half and gives you double health alongside an infinite revive spell) or by people using every cheesy tactic possible.

Playing on Classic difficulty I think 120 is more so the average time you'll spend as I personally found (and maybe because it's my first of this type of game) being more then a level below an enemy was playing with serious fire and oft led to my demise... so you'll most likely be doing most the side quests to get that precious exp!

Plus a lot of the bigger side squests weave themselves into the main narrative quite a bit so you'd be missing out on a lot of world building and events!

Not that I minded as I found it very engrossing and the game was a whole was a breath of fresh air I didn't know I needed.

Might be a while before I crank out a review though as it's definitely something I need to mull over for a while 😁

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy As long as the game is, I imagine it is a lot to take in, but I look forward to a review if you ever feel inclined to write one. Your early “mini-review” impressions really gave me a good feel for the game and I watched some of the gameplay posted. One of these days I’ll get to it. As a teaser, would you say the game builds and crescendos toward the end, or did you feel it a slog to push through. In games that long it usually ends up being the latter — you know the: “I’ve invested 80 hours into this game, with the time commitment so far I’ve got to endure to the end now, even though this no longer feels fresh anymore” type of monologue we have in our heads.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@nessisonett There are certainly things I didn’t like about the game and the story is a bit weird (it’s all relative in the Yakuza games) and it is certainly more of the same for the most part. But I still had fun.

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Oh I'm definitely going to write a review for it. But It's going to be more like the impressions and free flowing then my typical reviews so far... so thay's one reason why it'll take me a lot longer.

I did take a week long break from playing anything when I reached the final act of Divinity OS II @Th3solution ... But that was actually more so because when I tried to play I couldn't commit to anything I was doing in game and part of me didn't want it to end.

It is more of a slow burn of a game that builds up to it's finale, it's not something that I feel you can rush, especially on a first playthrough.

I think we can get a bit hung up on how a game or any piece of media ends (I have for quite a while to be honest) and not appreciate the journey we took to get there. I think that's one thing Divinity Original Sin 2 has really made me appreciate more.

Though to actually answer your question it's probably the second Act (Reaper's Coast) that is the point where it makes or breaks you though due to the sheer breadth of content in that one map as it's potentially as long as the next two acts combined (About 50 hours if you do everything there) with one fairly simple sounding objective that the game leads you in with

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That’s very true — some games I remember for the journey (Spider-Man, TR games, Bloodborne), some I remember for the conclusion (NieR Automata, TLoU, TWD). Some I cherish both (RDR 1 & 2, HZD).

But that’s a sign of a great gaming experience, when you don’t want it to end. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve had that for a long time — when you are so smitten with spending time in the game that you don’t even care to see the end because you want it to keep going. Probably the closest recent example I had that with is Bloodborne. The end was really good and I made sure to see all the different versions, but compared to the journey, it just was a tiny bit disappointing, because of the moment-by-moment emotional investment and adrenaline highs you’ve received from the game for the 40-50 hours leading up to it. Only other recent example of a game I wanted to keep going longer than the game design dictated is Uncharted: Lost Legacy, but that’s probably because the excellent experience and interesting characters were only there for 10 hours and I knew this was possibly the last I’d ever see of Naughty Dog’s Uncharted universe, and that made me sad to see it end.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nice. Always satisfying to successfully come to the other end of a deep, massive experience like this must have been. Although, if it was good enough, I can sometimes feel a bit hollow for a day or two after finishing a game like that.

Looking forward to the review!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Congratulations on completing such a mammoth spectacular! Consider me part of the crowd gathering to enjoy your review, once it's ready.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

The last time I had that "don't wanna put it down feeling" was for Hollow Knight last year @Th3solution which I played over the 2018 christmas break (so before I joined here) so it wasn't too long ago thankfully

Though trying to beat the true final boss and one of the bonus bosses did cause me to put it down out of frustration and I don't think I went back to get one of the "better" endings. 😂

I might experiment and see the other endings for Divinity though...

Ralizah wrote:

Looking forward to the review!

RogerRoger wrote:

Consider me part of the crowd gathering to enjoy your review

... No pressure guys! @RogerRoger @Ralizah 😅

Thank you though for the congrats you two!

JohnnyShoulder

Anything less than 3000 words @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy and I think we will all be disappointed!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I would absolutely love it if @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy just posted a screenshot of its title screen, followed by "yeah, this was good, 9/10" to troll us all in the User Impressions / Review Thread.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger That would be funny! And totally out of character!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

That's me polished off the Tomb Raider reboot. Overall, I enjoyed it, solid 7/10. It's aged alright but it does come off sometimes as slightly uninspired. I've heard Rise improves in almost every aspect so looking forward to playing that at some point!

nessisonett

@KratosMD I have to say after playing Uncharted 2 last month that Tomb Raider’s gunplay is far, far better. It might be because of the fact I was playing on PC with a mouse but the bow felt suitably satisfying to use and the combat was generally OK.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD @nessisonett I've (and others) always said that Uncharted do story and characters better, Tomb Raider (since the reboot) do combat and gameplay better.

After playing all 3 Tomb Raider games, I thought they were all very good. The first one had my favourite story as I thought it was a more personal one for Lara than the other two. The combat was better in the second game but the overall game seemed to be a bit of a retread of the first game. I thought Lara was a bit dull in bith games. The third one the combat I thought was more clunky than the other two, but stealth felt much better. This was the most intresting Lara was as a character across the three games.

Also you can play as Lara from the first game, but it looked really weird and dated. Not as weird and dated as the very first Tomb Raider games, but still off putting enough for me to change after a short period.

nessisonett

Beat Portal 1 for the first time in a couple of hours. It’s a really good puzzler and the Source engine still surprisingly holds up. I played 2 on PS3 years ago but might boot it up again.

Natenosaints72

Just finished Code Vein yesterday, and was so impressed by the deep variations of builds you can create and the presentation of the narrative. I originally played the demo a few months back, and knew I had to get back to this game someday, and I am so happy I did.

Natenosaints72

Th3solution

@Natenosaints72 I have a renewed interest to check out Code Vein after I saw how well it’s sold. I played the demo, but it seemed a little too confusing to me with all the depth of builds and combat. Of course a demo can sometimes have that issue where you don’t get the full tutorial experience and I’ve had games where the demo wasn’t good but the game was. So, would you say the gameplay and learning the depth of the combat and character builds is well paced in the game? Is it frustrating to learn at the beginning or do they ease you into all the mechanics? It seemed a little too much too quick in the demo.

kyleforrester87

After Baldurs Gate I decided to tackle another gem that I'd not been able to finish, although I did play this one much more recently.

And 6 years and 1 day to the date I first bought it, I finally managed to complete Bravely Default a few minutes before midnight last night! (55 hours over about 3 weeks). I got right near the end back in 2014 but I hadn't focused on building up my characters jobs and hit a brick wall on the 4th to last boss.

I thoroughly enjoyed my second play through. The notorious second half of the game (which basically makes you run through an abbreviated version of the first half FIVE TIMES) is really quite poor, but I love the rest of the game enough to let it slide. Since I knew what was coming, I did all of my grinding at the start of this second half and blitzed through the remainder of the game in a few hours once my team were at max levels and I had my jobs set up how I wanted them, with the battles turned off so I just had to deal with the bosses, which I destroyed. The final boss nearly had me though, to be fair, and it really came down to my final megalixir.

I know I enjoyed it because I'm pumped up to dive straight into a new run of Bravely Second tonight, another game I didn't get all the way through at launch either. I really hope it doesn't pull the same trick that the first game does at the mid-way point, although I've heard rumours it might...

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

Finally beat 428: Shibuya Scramble. I’ve been at it on and off for months and it’s probably the best VN I’ve ever played, right up there with Steins;Gate and Virtue’s Last Reward. The ending is unbelievably satisfying, tying together all those loose ends and side characters across the whole game. You can even unlock special stories that expand on the really small characters, that appeared in a scene or two. I’d recommend it to anybody who loves VN or even if you don’t, it’s a fantastic introduction.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic