Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 5,525

DonJorginho

@Simon_Fitzgerald Death Stranding is the most relaxing gaming experience I have had in ages, I am now at 85 hours played and have loved every second of it.

DonJorginho

DonJorginho

@Simon_Fitzgerald Oh yeah it is definitely not to everyone's tastes but I am adoring it, it actually gets so much better as you go on aswell.

I am not ashamed to say the ending almost 2 hour plus cutscene made me cry.

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

Thrillho

@DonJorginho I’d be close to tears having to watch a cutscene that long, especially if I couldn’t pause or save during it

Thrillho

Thrillho

Anyhoo, I recently finished my first go with Civilization 6 on PS4.

I have played Civ5 to death on my MacBook but it wouldn't be able to cope with this game so I'm so glad I finally got to give this a go. For the most part it holds up pretty well on console with the controls working fairly well. There's a few annoyances not being able to use a free cursor such as not being able to select the cities straight off (but having to select the unit stationed there and cycle through to the city) or be able to hover over your resources to see where they're being used (I started running out of oil and couldn't figure out why at all).

The game itself is solid and the new mechanics work pretty well. The new district system whereby you have to develop tiles within your city to focus on military, economy, science etc works well. You can only have so many of these depending on your city size so it makes cities feel a bit more distinct. Wonders are also closely tied to the districts and geography your city has so you can't build every wonder you want necessarily.

I will certainly be going back for another game of this at some point as I started on a low difficulty to get into the game but it made it a bit boring as I ended up wiping the floor with everyone. It certainly won't be a game I'll get the platinum for though as there are some rather niche but humorously named trophies (e.g. "Luftballoons": drop a nuke with a bomber from a base on the Nena continent with 9 observation balloons).

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho How does Civilization compare to the Tropico series? I haven’t ever played any of these. Sim City, the amusement park one, etc. I have Tropico 5 for free fro PS Plus that I could try for free. I’m not sure this would be something I like or not. People love that Civilization series though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Tropico’s a good old fashioned city builder like Sim City. Civ is turn-based so basically an RTS like StarCraft but everything happens at your own pace like Fire Emblem or XCOM. Tropico’s great fun but not hugely similar to Civ.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@Th3solution Yeah, they're very different games.

Tropico is a fairly relaxed cartoony city builder but mostly played through a campaign mode. Tropico 5 is good fun (I've played it through twice after getting it on PS+) and the most in-depth you have to go would be ensuring some resources like coal don't run out, or making sure your sugar supply to your rum factory is sufficient.

The Civilization series are WAAAAY more in depth. You take your civ with their unique talents/units and set up cities and defeat the opposing civs in a multitude of different ways; traditionally via domination (capture all capital cities), science (complete certain specific late game objectives), or via top score. Other methods include diplomatic, cultural, religious ways so there are loads of ways to play and the game is set up for multiple plays due to this, a different map each time, and a whole host of other reasons (I must have had more than ten games of Civ 5).

But it is much more detailed with management of units, resources, cities and their development etc, exploration of the map, and then also focusing on your route to victory.

There are loads of difficulty settings to help find a balance that works for you but it can be a bit overwhelming. Higher difficulties mean you really need to worry about the fine details too. Having played other games helps with the general idea of the game but the overhaul of mechanics means you are learning a lot from scratch but the game does its best to guide you.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho @nessisonett Okay, thanks for the clarification. I’m not sure why I lumped the two games into the same genre since they do sound quite different.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution They’re both isometric city management strategy games to some degree I guess but still very different!

Tropico 5 is good fun though. It’s a little superficial at times and can get frustrating when your economy randomly tanks for no reason but I really liked the way the campaign worked.

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution 75 hours for Assassin's Creed Origins. I did play for an hour or two after completing it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Oof... that’s a little more than I was expecting. I am definitely going to streamline to story missions only.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Yep that is what I mainly did, especially towards the end. One of my non new year resolutions is just play a game and not worry too much about how long it takes to beat it. I think we as gamers tend to get hung up too much on that kinda stuff. As long as it's still fun, I'm not really bothered about how long it takes. The backlog will still be there when I've finished.

@QualityGeezer I could quite easily see my self spending that long. I may even get the season pass, the content is currently on offer.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@QualityGeezer Good to know, thanks!

DerMeister

I beat Yakuza 0 last week. Going to replay Kiwami now, before moving on to Kiwami 2.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

kyleforrester87

I DID IT!!

20 odd years in the making but I just finished Baldurs Gate. I’m really chuffed, some of the bosses had me stumped. Even harder micromanaging everything with out mouse and keyboard.

A well respected game I can finally cross off the list. Now do I bother with the DLC and BG2?

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Congratulations! There's nothing quite like the feeling of beating something you'd never expected to beat. As for its DLC and sequel, well... if it's gonna take another twenty years, you'd best get cracking!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic