Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,681 to 1,700 of 5,525

HallowMoonshadow

Glad you're feeling better @DerMeister !

Did persona 4 successfully steal your heart? Or did the bugbears we already talked about gnaw at you even more?

Congratulations @Gremio108!

Was the boss as bad as or worse then The Nameless King? It took me over 30 tries for that piece of work 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Gremio108 Nothing could be as bad as The Nameless King... well maybe The Orphan of Kos with all the screeching and trying to kill you with a placenta.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Haven't actually played any souls/borne DLC myself @JohnnyShoulder aside from Dark Souls 2's

Raime, The Fume Knight and Sir Alonne were a piece of work in the Iron King dlc

Really should get 3's though... And get round to getting Dark Souls Remastered so I can play that too 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

DerMeister

@RogerRoger @Rudy_Manchego @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the concern, everyone. I'm feeling good right now. Not gonna jinx it and say I'm totally fine just yet.

As for my thoughts on both games, I'm currently working on reviews for the dedicated thread. I will say that both games were definitely good, and I enjoyed them. The hows and whys you'll have to wait.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I've got to the last bosses of the DLC for DS3 and BB. The only boss I can remember struggling with in the DS2 dlc is the poison dragon. Not to say there none of them were not difficult though.

The last boss in DS1 dlc, Manus is very tough and also links to DS2. Atorias is very cool fight but also a toughy!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Genrou

Finished River City Girls tonight. Overall I really enjoyed the game. As a fan of beat em ups like Double Dragon, River City, Streets of Rage, Final Fight this game was a pure nostalgia trip. Some elements I didn't like the screen lock portions (I personally felt they were cheap ways of adding a difficulty spike).

What really shined for me was the boss battles. I loved how they were more strategic battles, you couldn't just brute force your way through you had to wait for opportunities to attack the boss. Once you figured out the pattern though the bosses were pretty simple.

Story wise it's just your typical someone is kidnapped and you have to find them but River City Girls manages to do it in a comical kind of way. There's some in game cut scene as well as comic book styles cut scenes.

Graphics were good as well. Way Forward went for more sprite based graphics like Shantae for example but that was more to keep it in line with River City Ransom and the other Kunio games. I liked them since I grew up with sprite based games during the NES era but honestly I think more traditional graphics of today wouldn't have just seemed out of place with this game.

The soundtrack was excellent combings chiptune style music and J-pop for a unique soundtrack that like the graphics just seemed to fit this game perfectly. I am glad that I bought the Limited Run Games release since it came with a copy of the soundtrack but you can get it on Spotify if you want it.

Overall this game is a great addition to the Kunio series of games. If you enjoy the beat em up genre of games, especially the Kunio games, are looking for a game that doesn't take itself to seriously and is just fun all around the I highly recommend River City Girls, it's especially fun if you have another player to play with as well.

Overall Score I would give it an 8/10. It's generally a great game hindered by a few annoying parts like the cheap feeling screen lock parts and some awkward platforming sections but shouldn't be missed if you like beat em ups.

Genrou

RogerRoger

@Genrou Blimey, Streets of Rage... now there's a blast from my past. Thank you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

I never know whether to post in the review thread or over here, because I feel these posts somewhere fall in between. Anyway, I just beat... It's either called Song of the Deep or Songs of the Deep. The fact that I don't really know this right now, probably tells you something about how memorable I think the game is. I don't even know why that's the title.

Back in August I think it was, Sony announced it was buying Insomniac Games. I wanted to celebrate this fact, by finally playing their submarine Metroidvania for PS4. I'm a fan of many of their games, plus I had heard good things about this one from all over the internet, so expectations were set.

Disappointment 1: this game doesn't really look as good as I had hoped. The color palette is a bit bland in my opinion, which is quite the opposite of what I want from the lush sea life. The other thing is that a lot of character models don't really look like they fit in with their environment. As if they were made by completely different artists, that were forbidden to talk with eachother.

Disappointment 2: movement isn't great. Your submarine isn't terribly fast and a lot of actions actually feel pretty slow (like opening gates), which often made backtracking a real hassle. Also, often felt like I wasn't in control at all. The other thing is, you can get some kind of boost for your submarine, but it's a very short burst. So, when you're on your way to somewhere you constantly go: slow - fast - slow - fast.

Disappointment 3: the story, the narrative, the writing in general. It made me question: for who was this game even made? The plot feels like it targets 10-year-olds, the writing feels like it's targeting 5-year-olds and the gameplay was made with adults in mind. Anyway, it's really... not good.

Disappointment 4: the game doesn't do anything new. It's all those metroidvania's you ever played before, but now underwater.

The mechanics aren't bad at all, by the way. This is a list of disappointments, which is a very negative approach, I get that. And it's not my intention to dismiss the passion that clearly was poured into this game. I think the general concept behind it is cool, but it just feels like they didn't have anymore ideas after their elevator pitch of "Super Metroid under the sea".

Anyway, I really had to push myself to finish it. I did, even got all the trophies. Not recommending this game.

Kidfried

Genrou

@Kidfried I honestly feel the review is unnecessary as that's basically what this thread is for. I guess some people just feel that cause the thread title doesn't have the word review in it's title that they needed to create another one or something.

Genrou

HallowMoonshadow

Genrou wrote:

I guess some people just feel that cause the thread title doesn't have the word review in it's title...

Or ya know it was talked about between us @Genrou and we decided that the longer format user reviews that had been cropping up in this topic would be better suited to have their own topic... helps not bury up the smaller impressions among other things

Shame it didn't resonate with you @Kidfried!

I vaguely recall the director based the main character on his young daughter and I think it was only done with a team of around ten or so...

Might explain why it's a bit over the place. Plus as we all know Insomniac aren't exactly known for their Metroidvania's!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Genrou

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It just seems redundant to me that's all. Posts are going to get buried that's the nature of forums.

Genrou

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Having recently played and enjoyed ABZÛ, there's a good chance I'd have stumbled into any similar undersea adventures, so I'm real grateful for the timely warning! Thank you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Tearaway Unfolded (PS4) - A 3D platformer set in a papercraft world. Though there are exceptions to the rule, the first half of the game is light on pure platforming & focuses more on environmental exploration & light puzzles, while it focuses more on platforming later on (though for the most part it remains a pretty chill experience).

Pros:

• While Iota doesn't have much moveset variety (he/she can jump, grab & throw objects, and curl up into a ball), the game more than makes up for it with generous use of the controller's touch pad & gyro capabilities to manipulate the environment and the objects within. It really does make use of everything people say Playstation exclusives don't, including the camera (if you have it), which is used to show a tear into the real world in the sky.
  • While early levels are pretty standard fare thematically, it gets really abstract later on, providing some really neat sections.
  • It looks quite good, and if I hadn't known it started off as a Vita title, I would have assumed it was developed with the PS4 in mind.

Mixed:

• I'm not sure how I feel about the vibe of the game. Of course, this isn't true of the entire game, but it too often feels almost sad & melancholy, both in terms of color palette & music (similar to Unravel & I assume Ori & the Blind Forest, maybe it's just a thing with European developed platformers & as an American I don't quite "get it" compared to the more colorful & upbeat platformers that come out of Japan & the US. That said, I think the approach worked a lot better with the naturalistic environments of Unravel & Ori, as opposed to the papercraft world of Tearaway).
  • Late in the game introduces gyro controlled platforms, and while they work well for the most part, there is a specific section with sheets of foil formed into circles that rearrange and invert themselves based on gyro movements that is genuinely infuriating (maybe the correct motions just didn't click for me, but I died so many times here).

Cons:

• Nothing game breaking, but I ran into quite a few bugs along the way. Mostly stuff like objects being invisible (though nothing necessary) and enemies or myself getting stuck inside the environment.

Overall it was pretty decent and well worth the sale price I paid for it. It's a step above Knack, but below Astro Bot & most first party Switch platformers IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 I'm glad you used the word "melancholy" as I was getting similar vibes as I progressed with Tearaway on the PS Vita (and I'm a Brit, for what its worth). It isn't specifically designed to be a sad game, quite the opposite, but there was just an atmosphere of sadness lingering in some parts.

But great thoughts, thanks for sharing; I'm determined to return to it at some point, either on handheld or console, but don't remember any bugs on Vita so might stick with the copy I've got.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@RogerRoger, to be fair, most of the bugs I ran into were in a specific level. The two invisible boxes & the time an enemy got stuck in the environment were all during the Barn/Attic level, and were minor annoyances more than anything (I could have just gotten unlucky, as I've even had Spider-Man somehow load bad guys inside a skyscraper once, so things are bound to happen ocassionally in any game).

The few times I got stuck in the environmet were all during a little open world paper airplane section. There are little islands you can land on, but only after you've first landed on the mainland for the first time (the game doesn't tell you this though). If you try to land on one of the smaller islands first you'll just skid along it's surface until you slide off or hit something (at which you run the risk of getting stuck to it). Fully avoidable if you just land at the big port town first.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RogerRoger

@RR529 Ah, cool. Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like the core game is great, and it's just the stuff they expanded or added from scratch. I'll keep it in mind!

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch).

Pros:

• Classic Zelda gameplay that's a mixture of action, adventure, puzzle-solving, and a smattering of other activities. Granted, it's never too difficult or complicated (due to a mixture of the era & machine of it's original release), but there's something enjoyable about a game you can get right into without much fuss.
  • There's some welcomed QOL improvements, particularly due to the fact that the Switch has a lot more buttons than the GameBoy, so many items/abilities now have dedicated buttons and are permanently equipped, so you're not spending nearly as much time in the menus switching out items.
  • While some may bemoan it's relatively short length by today's standards, much like it's chill nature, I found it to be a refreshing change of pace. Some of the later dungeons may have taken me about an hour or so to clear, but otherwise it always feels like you're on to something new every time you pick it up, and I liked that.
  • The art direction is pure magic, particularly in motion. The game has always had it's own unique vibe amongst the series (especially some of the more off the wall stuff like the plentiful Mario refrences), and I think the new toy/dream like aesthetic really helps to tie it all together.
  • Music is iconic & catchy, as is par for the course when it comes to classic Zelda.

Mixed:

• While it's appreciated, the new content doesn't add a lot to the package. There are now a series of figurines to win from the claw machine mini-game which are used to decorate the houses in Mabe village (a new one is available to win after every dungeon you clear), and of course there's the much touted dungeon builder, which won't add any major time to your playthrough, but it's a fun occassional diversion.

Negative:

• As has been much discussed, the framerate briefly chugs whenever you enter a new area (whenever the area name appears on screen), and anytime you're in Gapongo Swamp for some reason. I found it to be a minor irritant at worst, and quickly came to be able to pay it no mind.

Overall, this was a game that had me smiling from beginning to end, and while I have no specific love for the original (I played it years after it's original release), the remake has suprisingly gone on to be one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Rudy_Manchego

@RR529 I think your review is pretty much how I felt about the game. Very much enjoyed its length - to me it was just perfect.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@RR529 Yeah, despite personally disagreeing with a few points, those are my own issues; I can completely understand where you're coming from, and am very glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

@Rudy_Manchego, @RogerRoger, thanks!

In refrence to Roger's comment, out of curiosity, which points did you diagree with? I'm guessing maybe the art style?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic