Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,581 to 1,600 of 1,756

DerMeister

@Ralizah I'm gonna keep this review in my head so I can compare and contrast whenever I finish the game. Which I'm probably a long ways away. I only got to Meridian not that long ago and done a few sidequests related to it.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Ralizah

@DerMeister Oh yeah, there's a ton more of the game ahead of you. The game never felt overly long to me, but I guess that's just how you feel when you're enjoying yourself. I can definitely say it's the best $10 I ever spent!

@Kidfried Yeah, games are for playing, and the interactive elements of the experience should always be the focus. I could definitely see myself... admiring... the obsessive level of detail that's apparently stuffed into EVERYTHING in RDR2, but if that makes the game less fun to play, then it's a net negative, imo. Complaints about user-friendliness in this regard and the way the game controls is probably the biggest reason I haven't bothered to touch the game yet.

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
  • It's not a lot but you can keep going back to Rost's grave back at their old house and Aloy will talk about her adventures so far. But yeah I totally agree about that @Ralizah in that it's rather disappointing the game just forgets about him.
  • The climbing also really does suck. I got lost plenty of times til I found those arbitrary climbing points. That's my one real improvement I want for the sequel
  • Small tidbit but Sylens' (whom I also quite liked) actor is Lance Reddick, the concierge of the Continental Hotel in the John Wick series... I purely just happened to see/play these near one another and recognised his voice

All in all a great review Ralizah! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your journey with Aloy in the HZD topic and I'm glad you ended up really enjoying it!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

You don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis, Persona 3

PSN: GoddessFoxy-E

My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I enjoyed talking about it! It's nice to have a passionate community that I can interact with and bounce my thoughts off of.

I didn't know that about Sylens' voice actor. Pretty cool bit of trivia, though. The concierge is a hilarious character.

I forget where old Rost is buried. When I get back to this in a few months (maybe more; we'll see), I need to look up the location and see what happens.

DDS is next on the chopping block! (once I'm able to drag myself away from Three Houses, anyway)

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Seeing as I only have the base game @Ralizah you might be able to talk even more with Rost's grave thanks to the Frozen Wilds DLC or maybe they address him during it?

Plus I think there's a special icon on the map which shows the location of it. It's been a while since I played it though so I don't fully remember. You might have to go there once or something to get the icon to appear if it isn't there already.

Though reading this review has reminded me of why I love this game so darn much and kinda pushed me to ditch Middle Earth: Shadow Of War that I was playing inbetween bouts of Bandicoot kart racing and play this again instead

I think I'm the only here eager to hear your thoughts on Digital Devil Saga? I'd advise probably skipping the super duper bonus boss. The grind is not fun!

And enjoy Three Houses!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

You don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis, Persona 3

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Neat! Did you actually finish this game, or do you just want to mop up side content.

RE DDS: Probably. It's a very old JRPG, after all. I'm excited to play through the last third or so of the game, though. I have a new area to explore, and a bunch of colored doors to unlock.

I've heard the super boss is... something. I'll at least try it, although I doubt I'll grind too much to beat it.

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Oh I got the platinum same as you @Ralizah ... Gonna try ramping up the difficulty.

Unsure whether I should go with new game plus or start completely fresh though

There's about 6/7 bonus bosses and I think you have to beat all of those before you can even attempt the super boss? It's pretty neat, though challenging thanks to Atlus difficulty standards.

But the one in DDS 2 is even harder from what I've heard and can only be fought if you play on the hard difficulty setting... I haven't even attempted that one.

Also if you're playing DDS2 at some point you'll wanna hang onto your DDS data to unlock a few goodies. Some only bearing fruit towards the end of your journey mind you

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Maybe they'll patch in an invisible robots mode.

Haha, I love my Atlus games, but that sort of hardcore dedication to any game is beyond me. I'll enjoy my vanilla playthrough.

Not sure how long it'll take me to get to DDS2, but I can't imagine why I wouldn't hold onto my game clear data. I have dozens of memory cards with save game data from 15+ years ago, even!

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Oh you wound me @Ralizah ! Just you wait til I find something I can quip back at you!

That would actually be a pretty interesting though in all seriousness. I'd probably give an "invisible robots" mode a go if Horizon had one as stalkers aren't too bad...

Turns out I misremembering.

You can only face the superboss in a new game plus in DDS1. But you probably need some skills from the mantra's you unlock from the bonus bosses to fight them...

... And there's 10 bonus bosses! Way too much faffing about nowadays!

RR529

Batman: Return to Arkham Asylum (PS4) - A remaster of the PS360 title for modern platforms.

Pros:

• The core beat 'em up combat is pretty fun, and it feels good to get a lengthy combo going. Although I never got too good at it, the stealth mechanics were well concieved too.
  • There was a pretty good variety of gameplay on offer, with most combat scenerios often going back & forth between straight beat 'em up action (areas where enemies didn't have guns) or stealth (all enemies would have guns and you'd have to take them out without drawing attention to yourself), and then it would further break up the action with some God of War (2018) style platforming or light puzzle solving (which sometimes would be mixed with the platforming).
  • It had classic "Metroidvania" style world design & progression, with absolutely brilliant atmosphere (the creepy Medical Facility in particular creeped me the heck out).
  • I liked how it handled the collectables. Instead of items that would directly increase your health or attack as you would find in Metroid, they all gave you EXP instead, which largely allowed you to upgrade at your own discretion. The collectables themselves would often have other purposes beyond just granting you EXP as well, like Interview Tapes & Arkham Chronicles providing in game world building/lore, Solving Riddles would often grant you character bios of various Batman characters (most not even in the game), and others would grant you character trophies.
  • While it's roots as a last gen game came through in places, I generally found it to be a nice looking game even by modern standards.
  • The banter of the Joker & Riddler throughout the game was a highlight.

Cons:

• Not a big fan of the boss fights in the game, which is a shame considering they could have done some cool things with a slate of supervillains. One early game boss had his whole combat shtick aped by special late game enemies (I hate it when a boss, usually an early game one, essentially becomes a regular enemy in late game), a couple were pretty cool, but don't actually involve fighting them, a couple (including the final boss) devolve into little more than fighting waves of regular enemies in a hazardous environment, and then you have exactly one that is a traditional, unique fight.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good time though, and though I'll be taking a break from the Bat, I'm looking forward to continuing the series (I also got the remaster of Arkham City in the same bundle).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RogerRoger

@RR529 Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. Don't worry, the boss fights were something that everybody criticised from the very beginning; since it was pretty much the only universal flaw, Rocksteady made sure to fix them in the subsequent games (there's a famously fantastic one in Arkham City, although I personally think WB Montreal bested them with Firefly in Arkham Origins).

Enjoy your bat-break but yeah, will be very interested to see what you think of Arkham City, given the fact that you're playing it fresh. General consensus says that it's the series high-point, but it's my least favourite... not to say it isn't a great game, because it is!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ellsworth004

Well i finally got around to finishing FFXV and im glad that i did, but im also glad i waited until all the dlc was released. Got the plat for it, and i have played a little of the episodes for it and they are ok. Not the best FF game ever, but a really fun game.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

Thrillho

@RR529 @RogerRoger yeah, I think the boss fight issue was a pretty universal feeling.

Arkham City was good but I think it lost something with such an open area. The claustrophobic feeling in the Asylum made it feel much more intimidating.

Thrillho

RR529

@RogerRoger, @Thrillho, glad it's not just me on the boss issues (though I vaguely remember complaints about the final boss from back during it's original release).

Looking forward to getting around to City eventually, as I liked Spider-Man & InFamous: Second Son and am interested in seeing what the open world format brings to the table.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Thrillho

I'm finally done with Borderlands 2 and all the DLC. Good fun but I'm pretty Borderlands-ed out after almost two months playing just this.

I picked up Dead Cells for a blast after finishing that having heard they'd updated the game a bit more. I never managed to beat the final boss but managed to do so on only my fourth run this time around! It did feel as though the difficulty has been tinkered with but I'm still happy with that.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho You mean the Dead Cells difficultly has been lowered? Was it too difficult before? I always heard that it was hard but you could grind and make progress with each run and never felt like you were wasting time. I’ve considered playing it, but I’m not a huge Metroidvania style fan, but Dead Cells is supposedly light on the Metroidvania stuff supposedly.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Thrillho

@Th3solution Some of the patch notes said that they've tinkered with enemies auto-scaling which was based on how much you had levelled up with scrolls through your run. Some people were originally saying it was actually easier to avoid these and so avoid enemy levelling up. Now, it sounds like each level has a "set" difficulty and that the first run through the game (see below) is a little easier than it used to be.

The game isn't hard for the sake of being hard though. But with all the hours I'd put into it before, I was making it to the final boss quite routinely but could utterly destroyed by him each time. Now, having not played it for months, I beat him on the first attempt making it to him (but with a few failed runs getting to him). Once you've finished the game once, you can up the difficulty and I think this can be done five times.

The Metroidvania thing isn't too involved but there are abilities you can unlock as you go along which allow you to access new areas. However, you can finish the game only unlocking the first one as that is the only one that is essential to progress (and is obtained very early on).

It gets "easier" with each run as the area between maps allows you to spend "cells" to unlock blueprints for new weapons/items you found but also allows you to unlock permanent abilities, such as giving you more health flasks or retaining gold between runs which makes your life a little easier each time (but only if you make it to that area; you lose all cells you're holding when you die).

Runs can be pretty quick; my successful run only took 33 minutes for example, but it is a game you can spend hours and hours playing. The Switch I could see being the best way to play it as you can pick up and play for a quick run.

I think it's a fantastic, albeit frustrating, game.

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Ryall

Just beaten Fire Emblem: Three Houses playing is the kingdom. I really enjoyed it but I think I’ll take a break before trying again it’s the Empire.

Ryall

KratosMD

So I just finished all four episodes of the original DOOM (1993) and honestly, my opinion of the game is rather mixed.

The game is really fun, I enjoyed the first episode of it immensely. Then my enjoyment went down drastically in the second episode as I thought the game became harder in the later levels, so I had to lower the difficulty. The third episode was more enjoyable than the second, and the fourth was kind of 50/50 for me.

Ultimately the game is great fun but there's not much variety in the level design. You can only do so much with teleports and blue, red and yellow cards. I've honestly become quite fed up with this formula and I doubt I'll play DOOM II anytime soon since I'm guessing it's just more of the first DOOM.

But yeah, I liked this game and I think it's a great entry for people who have never played DOOM before. I'm definitely more excited now to play DOOM 3, DOOM (2016) and eventually DOOM Eternal.

KratosMD

Simon_Fitzgerald

I played through the entirety of Detroit Become Human at the weekend and had a blast. Such a graphically stunning game and really cool decision making design that actually affects the outcome of the story.

Simon_Fitzgerald

PSN: ScarySim6

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic