Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 5,530

Zander1992

I beat Days Gone on Sunday & and got the platnium yesterday . Absolutely love this game šŸ‘ŒšŸ½

Edited on by Zander1992

Recently went all digital...

PSN: Portofan92

Ralizah

@ellsworth004 I play a fair number of independently developed games. More often than not, I find that a lot of bigger budget games from major Western studios just don't resonate with me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Thrillho

@KratosMD I never played the first or second games and donā€™t feel I missed out on much. Lots of people who played TW3 said the second game plays terribly after playing 3 so donā€™t get put off by it!

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Frigate Nice to meet another fan of Absolution. Many dismiss or unfairly criticise it, but I think they kinda miss the point. I loved revisiting it on PS4 (most certainly the definitive version) and am proud of my platinum.

Yesterday I completed my replay of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I did the same as I did before; during the last two chapters, I completely forgot about Photo Mode because I was simply having way, way too much fun. Whilst it does play as a kinda "greatest hits" (the Jeep chase from 4, the train fight from 2, etc.) none of it feels stale because of the fine-tuned pacing and perfectly-timed character moments from Chloe and Nadine... seriously, that train level outstayed its welcome in 2, but here it works as a stunning crescendo to an incredible slice of action/adventure. There isn't a single wasted moment in this game, and that's why it's probably my favourite (sorry, 3).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I agree the train level really did outstay its welcome!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I know, right? I kinda think that about all of Uncharted 2, though, so I often feel like I'm being unfairly harsh on it, but I felt like it could've ended once they went into the tunnel and that would've been great. The whole post-tunnel, tank turret section in the snow was unnecessary (apart from signposting that you'd be attacked by a tank later in the story).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger yeah I think 2 is my least fave of the trilogy. Mind you as I'm thinking of them now they kinda just merge into 1 game.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ralizah

I liked the train section of Uncharted 2. Running from the tank sucked, though. And I hated the part with the Yeti.

I feel like Uncharted 3's setpieces were all more well done. And Uncharted 4 is just better all-around.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, they do that, especially if you play them one after the other!

@Ralizah Absolutely agreed on Uncharted 3. The reason I love that game so much is because it nails the set-piece design every single time. The gameplay and story that threads them together is smaller and more personal to Nate and Sully, but the smart pacing knows when it's just time to provide explosions and thrills. It benefits from the same reason I love The Lost Legacy, namely that it doesn't hang about on anything for too long. I could keep playing it with a "just five more minutes" mentality right through to the end credits, whereas big parts of Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 4 make me glance at the clock, stop and take breaks.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Coincidentally I also finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy yesterday.
I really enjoyed it, certainly more than Uncharted 4. Chloe and Nadine make a brilliant team. I enjoyed their banter and how their characters grew over the course of the game. Very well paced with a particularly thrilling final chapter. It's also very, very beautiful to look at.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

andreoni79

Yakuza 6. This was my first Yakuza game and even if combat wasn't anything great, all the rest surely was awesome.
Now I'm playing ME Andromeda; I'd better not compare the facial animations between the two games!

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

RogerRoger

@KratosMD My best friend said the same; she was totally taken aback by the "story complete" trophies, but stuck around to do everything else (the Cultists ring a bell) and put simply, yes, keep going.

@andreoni79 Hope you enjoy Andromeda! There's a decent game in there, beneath all the memes.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

After rage quitting Sonic Mania this morning, I went back and finally reached the end of Transistor.
I enjoyed this game, although I think the cult following of the game and the high Metacritic scores are probably overselling the game a tad. Itā€™s a reasonably short experience ā€” probably took me about 6-8 hours. The art style is lovely and the music is top notch. The protagonist, Red, is endearing to play as. A singer who had her voice stolen by the enemy and is subjected to traveling through the dilapidating city of Cloudbank which has been over-run by ā€œthe Processā€ - a robotic futuristic force that creates mechanical enemies and altered humans for you to fight. The whole thing is all very artsy and bizarre, actually. The story barely makes a modicum of sense and the way itā€™s told is so cryptic that I donā€™t think I truly understood it all. The pinnacle of the outlandish premise is that your weapon to fight with is the ā€˜Transistorā€™ - a large sword-type thing (think Kingdom Hearts keyblade but instead of a huge key sword the Transistor is a huge SD memory card like youā€™d put in your digital camera) that houses the consciousness of a dead nameless man in whom it was impaled. It is this man, whose voice will narrate out of the Transistor throughout the game. And he talks, a lot. And Red canā€™t talk. So I got sick of his voice after a couple hours. I donā€™t mind the strange premise and the cryptic story-telling style, but the voice actorā€™s delivery just ruined it for me and some of it was the poor script he was working with. In the end, the story came around and I appreciated the conclusion. Again, thereā€™s some heavy dose of suspension of disbelief to swallow, but I ended up liking the ending.

The gameplay and combat was really quite good. A strange amalgamation of action and turn- based strategy, you can pause time and line up some attacks, or just fire away in real time, and often you need to do a combination of both. Various powers unfold through the game and they are fun to mix and match to get desired effects and boosts. The game was never brutally hard, but it does have a steep learning curve.
The maps, although pretty, are barren of life and simplistic. At times the atypical 2.5D presentation has you having trouble knowing where the opening for the next area of the map is, but itā€™s impossible to get truly lost.

Iā€™m glad I played The Transistor, and I think itā€™s worth the time, especially for the unique take on combat.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Glad you enjoyed Transistor, if you are into it the soundtrack is available on Spotify.

Ralizah

Th3solution wrote:

After rage quitting Sonic Mania this morning

LMAO.

Yeah, I don't think classic Sonic games are for you.

You mentioned people overselling Transistor. I haven't played that game yet, but I actually felt that way about another game from the same developer that I did, Bastion. It has some praiseworthy aspects, but it was a very mixed experience for me.

Bastion also had a non-main character who would JUST. NOT. STOP. TALKING.

The dialogue was OK, but I don't want to hear a narration through the entire game, y'know?

Combat and the setting sound a lot more interesting in Transistor, though, based on your description, so I'll definitely have to check it out sometime.

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I didn't get along with Bastion either, can't quite remember why, I think maybe I didn't quite gel with the combat. Really liked Transistor though, I imagine it is quite well suited for the Switch too.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic