Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,266

Kidfried

@RogerRoger I didn't like the Burly people game either. A kid might find it fun for ten minutes, but there's not more to it.

There is not a lot of gameplay and there's no purpose to the time you're investing in it.

Don't let it stop you from trying out other indie titles, though! There's many, many good ones.

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I haven't played The Unfinished Swan, no, but I likely won't now that you've mentioned it in such close proximity to Burly Men at Sea. You're absolutely right, though; sometimes it's nice to stick your head out from behind a pile of Triple-A action-adventure sandbox collectathon games and see what else is out there. Those elements of BMaS (wasn't he the robot from that Disney film?) which you noted as positives were quite quaint, to borrow your word, and usually I'd champion little touches like that but there was just something about the overall feel of the thing which just made me hit the gas and accelerate towards my shiny platinum as quickly as possible. Oh well.

@JJ-firl Even the worst games aren't a waste of time, at least I don't think so; it was free, after all, so I can't complain! And I'm still grateful for the recommendation. Like I said, it's nice to shake things up and try new things. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out.

Purple dragons and suited bald guys always get me in the mood. And then afterwards, sure, I guess I could play some Spyro and Hitman.

@Kidfried I've been very selective about my indie gaming thusfar, but the fact that BMaS was both free and a quick platinum (plus the nudges from fellow PushSquarians) overrode my usual caution. I know you're a big fan of indies and I agree; some of my most memorable gaming moments have come from things like RiME, Life is Strange and Submerged, so I definitely won't write them off for good. I think I just need to be more careful about which ones I play.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Well, I should clarify what I said when I compared BMaS to TUS — The Unfinished Swan has actual gameplay, to be fair. It has a “bedtime story” feel to it, and is charming in that regard. The narrative is stronger as well than BMaS. It is basically a first person shooter where you shoot ink balls to uncover the environment while it tells this child’s story. It’s a better game overall for sure, but lacks a platinum, even though it is probably even a little bit longer game to finish. For me if BMaS is a 4/10 (I liked it a little better) then TUS is a strong 6/10.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

andreoni79

Just finished Call of Cthulhu. And thank Cthulhu it was a gift so I haven't spent a cent for that mess. A bad looking walk simulator, with a mediocre story and awful mechanics: 4 or 5 stupid puzzles, few minutes of stealth and a dozen of zombie-like enemies you can kill without even aiming with your gun. A blasphemy, as all that stupid merchandising around the lovecraftian mythology. 🤬

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

JohnnyShoulder

@andreoni79 Have you played Bloodborne? That had loads of Cthulhu stuff in it.

McCroskey: Johnny, what can you make of this? [hands Johnny a map]
Johnny: This? Well, I can make a hat; I can make a brooch; I can make a pterodactyl!

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

andreoni79

@JohnnyShoulder Of course I did. There's more Lovecraft in the Fishing Hamlet area of The Old Hunters dlc than in the entire Call of Cthulhu...

Edited on by andreoni79

Ralizah

Burly Men at Sea on the PS4. Via PS+, obvs.

It's... uh... cute. I beat the game four or five times and cleared the majority of obvious choices I saw.

There's bearded men. They sail around in a little adventure game, and stuff randomly happens to them. Then they go back home. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Not really my sort of game. This seems like one of those indies that's quirky for the sake of being quirky. But it has decent sound design, and it doesn't outstay its welcome like Abzu or Journey, so I can't complain much. I didn't like the control scheme, which was obviously designed with touchscreens in mind, but that's about it.

5/10. Very average experience.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Glad it wasn't just me, then. I didn't even think about the controls being designed for touchscreen implementation; suddenly it all makes sense. Good shout.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Tested my theory out on the Vita version, and it indeed controls well.

It was apparently "one of TIME's top 10 games of 2016." No Man's Sky came in at #15, too.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Well, who are we to argue with TIME Magazine, eh? I've subsequently seen the error of my uninformed opinion and changed my mind; 10/10 BOTY (Beards of the Year).

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

Simon_Fitzgerald

I completed ABZU and Here They Lie on Monday and Pokemon Let's Go Eevee yesterday by beating the Elite Four with a full team of shiny pokemon. Hoping to complete Fe tonight and then get back into review writing.

Simon_Fitzgerald

PSN: ScarySim6

crimsontadpoles

Heavy Rain. Rather surprisingly for a story driven game with lots of endings, I actually got one of the better endings on my first attempt.

It was a decent game and I enjoyed playing it, but it does have its flaws. The controls and moving the characters doesn't feel quite right, and take some time to get used to. The quick time events can be annoying. When a QTE suddenly switches from having to hold buttons to tapping quickly, it catches me out every time. And in the heat of the moment when needing to be quick, it's easy to confuse the QTE symbol for moving the right analogue stick with the QTE symbol for moving the entire controller.

As for the story, it starts off slow but it's good once it gets into it. It does feel awkward and cliche in places. But overall it was an enjoyable murder mystery. My sheer obliviousness to any and all plot twists meant that the killer reveal took me by surprise, though I suspect plenty of other players would have seen that coming.

My biggest gripe with this game is with Madison. She was such wasted potential. Her problems with being an insomniac and having nightmares are quickly forgotten about, and she instead spends most of the game just aiding the other main characters.

Not sure now if I'll continue playing this now that I've seen one ending which turned out to be a good one. I'll likely wait a few days then check the trophy list. If the trophies aren't too difficult or tedious then it could be fun to explore the different choices in this game while working on the trophies. If the trophies are too tedious, then I'd be perfectly happy to not play any more and instead move on to a different game.

Kidfried

@crimsontadpoles Madison is the biggest problem the game has. Awfully written character.

Aside from that, I did enjoy the game too!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

So I just finished the main story of Just Cause 4. This may seem like fast work, but I'm suffering with some man-flu at the moment and so a systematic, somewhat-mindless map-clearing game is just what the doctor ordered. I've played it for about 12 hours all told, to see the story through and to claim every region of the map for the Army of Chaos.

There are plenty of side quests that I've skipped and will now enjoy, broken down into three categories. First, there's the stunt challenges, this time dressed up in the excuse of helping a movie director shoot stunts for her upcoming film; I doubt I'll do many of these, as the director character is a very loud woman and I'm not looking for a tricky skill-based kinda experience right now. Then there's training new Army of Chaos members, which basically means "take some NPCs with you whilst you blow stuff up" and they're kinda fun (although the NPCs can swing wildly between acting like safety-smart cowards or suicidal maniacs, so some have required a couple restarts because if they die, it's game over).

Lastly and perhaps most interestingly, there's a Tomb Raider game-within-a-game, where you're asked to explore and find ruins and temples across the map (with no objective markers; you've gotta find them yourself) and then trigger ancient traps or mechanisms with your grapple to unlock the secret history of the island. I deliberately left these alone, because I have a feeling I'm gonna love them. They're how I'm gonna spend my evening.

I've calmed down about the graphics now... a bit. SquareEnix have promised a patch to fix the lighting and texture issues, but it remains to be seen how much they're able to do without compromising the game's performance, which remained steady even in the most chaotic of missions.

Still, for every beautiful moment I found...

Untitled

...there's a place that looks like this, and it's just tough not to recoil.

Untitled

That last shot is taken from the big finale, which was a bit of a let-down, if I'm honest; a simple run-and-gun through the villain's headquarters with few surprises. The story before it had been built around three core multi-stage "operations" which pay off with some of the most exciting, spectacular missions I've ever played in anything, ever. They're where the weather effects (tornadoes, lightning and sandstorms) came into full effect. Chasing a tornado as it tore through bridges, buildings and eventually an entire city was absolutely fantastic, and it's a shame that more of the game doesn't take advantage of those set-piece events more often, because otherwise you're just clearing military facilities and ticking off simple objectives from a shortlist of variables. When it hits those high notes, however, there's nothing quite like this game. It was incredible, even if only very briefly.

And the story was actually far more engaging than I expected. They've done a halfway-decent job of making Rico seem a bit more three-dimensional this time, and whilst he's still hilariously deadpan and macho most of the time, his action hero one-liners had some weight to them by the end, which I really liked. There's a big set-up for Just Cause 5 at the end, too, and if they bring back the core cast and keep that same level of characterisation going then I might be curious enough to return and see how it all pans out... just probably not at launch, given what happened this time.

Overall, I reckon I'd agree with the 6/10 given to the game by PushSquare, but that's an average. When you're fiddling with challenges or encountering terrible visuals, it can go as low as 4 or 5, but when you're playing those three core "operations" it can climb as high as an 8 or maybe even a 9.

But these Tomb Raider side quests might get me to bump it to a 7 if they're any good.

Tagging @Th3solution and @JohnnyShoulder as you folks were interested in early impressions and I thought you might wanna read a more rounded view.

Making It So Since 1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

Just beat Darksiders 3. A really solid sequel. Took me just over 26 hours and got most of the trophies (67% completion). Think I'll go back to platinum once/if it gets a NG+ update.
I really hope the game sells well enough. They've laid enough story to get at least 2 more games.
Next up Strife!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

NecuVise

@Fight_Teza_Fight thq Nordic said that they need 100k copies sold to be profitable so I reckon that already surpassed that number.

NecuVise

Fight_Teza_Fight

@NecuVise Seems like an attainable goal. Also it supposedly sold pretty ‘well’ on PC.
According to steam spy there are 50-100k owners. https://steamspy.com/app/606280
Don’t know how reliable that is, but it seems to suggest they’ll probably hit their goal across all platforms.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Ralizah

Finished up a free PS+ title this month on my Vita called Iconoclasts.

Pros:

• The visual presentation is simply stellar for a pixel art indie title. The sheer degree of detail in the environments and character models is stunning, and this surely rivals Owlboy as one of the most beautiful pixel art games ever made.
  • Great, responsive controls. The characters are feel fantastic to play as.
  • The narrative elements are simply on another level for a game of this type. Which isn't to say I haven't played side-scrolling games with decent stories and characters but, oh boy, I've never seen another game like this with such a huge focus on story, character development, and worldbuilding. Characters are complex and vividly brought to life through a combination of dialogue and evocative sprite animations, really giving you a sense of what they're like as people. There's a complex story here, and the game presents it in a very naturalistic fashion: it tells you almost nothing in the didactic fashion common to games of this sort, so you have to kind of piece together your understanding of what is going on over the course of the game. While this could have been confusing, I found that it really helped to immerse me in the strange world of this game. This was the last place I ever expected to encounter such a strong and driven narrative.
  • Speaking of which, the setting itself is really cool. This fantasy world has a bunch of great influences mixed in: steampunk, biopunk, religion, mythology, etc. are all huge aspects of the experience, and they gel together wonderfully. There's an intimidating theocracy that you fight against and ostensibly supernatural beings who are often some of the most interesting characters in the game. There's also a cool, Ghibli-esque environmentalist streak to the story.
  • Music is good. Not utterly remarkable, but better than in most pixel art indie games I've played.

Cons:

• Aside from permanent weapon and tool upgrades over the course of the story, you'll have access to smaller, craftable upgrades throughout the game called "tweaks." Once you find the schematic for a new tweak, you can craft it and improve certain aspects of your character. The materials for your tweaks are primarily obtained from chests that you get by beating optional challenges throughout the game. While I liked the idea of this system, there simply weren't too many interesting tweaks to be had throughout the game. Ideally, you'd unlock better and better tweaks over the course of the adventure, which would inventivize you to complete the optional challenges you kept finding, but once I made my initial set of tweaks, I never even bothered changing them. I still completed a lot of the challenges, but more out of a sense of completionism than anything. I certainly didn't go back and scour the map for any of these challenges I might have missed like I would have if clearing them led to worthwhile rewards.
  • Not really a con of the game, but this feels like it was designed to be played on a big screen. Your character models are often tiny and get lost amidst the stunning environments on the Vita's somewhat tiny screen.
  • For all the praise I lavished on the game's approach to character, narrative, and worldbuilding, it sure has an awfully disappointing final act. The last hour of the game feels more rushed than anything. There's no satisfying conclusions to any of the character arcs. There's no real build-up to the final boss. There's no epilogue. It just sort of... ends, and all of the interesting ideas, plot strands, character motivations, etc. seem to just collapse without ever being truly resolved. It's disappointing, to say the least.
  • The level design and gameplay in this are decent and perfectly functional, but it's clear that's all they were meant to be. The focus of the game is squarely on the narrative aspects here.

Conclusion: While it drops the ball near the end and could have been better in certain ways, Iconoclasts was a memorable and enjoyable experience all-around. Solid 7/10.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

andreoni79

RDR2. I fear the best part starts now since I'll be free to do what I want instead of being just an actor. Almost all the missions were an eye-roll festival because of many annoying things: me forced to use a certain weapon by a companion, me forced to approach a gunfight exactly how the devs decided otherwise the companion dies etc.
I think I'll do the post-game stuff only when I'll take a break from Dragon Quest XI (just started).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic