Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 5,489

Thrillho

I finished off Jurassic Park Evolution the other day.

It was better than I was expecting and quite enjoyed it overall. The different islands stop the game from getting too samey and the main missions on each island give you something different to do. The basic principle of making dinosaurs and creating a cool theme park isn't a bad starting point though.

It does suffer from pacing a little in that each island involves a fair bit of waiting around. Initially this is waiting to make money to be able to do anything (but by the end of the level you have more money than you could ever use) and some missions are on timers so you're sitting round waiting for the time to pass. An ability to speed the game up would be so useful.

Worth picking up if it sounds like your kind of thing.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'm convinced it'll make for a pleasing distraction one empty, rain-soaked weekend so I'm waiting until then. Glad you enjoyed it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger It's well worth giving a go but be warned, you'll be sick of the iconic main theme by the time you're finished!

It's also quite reasonable trophy wise. I got 75% of trophies just playing the game organically but trying to do everything. Almost all the ones I missed were taking photos of certain scenarios (something you do while controlling one of the ranger's 4x4s) and I'm not bothered enough to faff doing those.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Oh, don't worry, I play Bond games; if there's one thing I know how to handle, it's theme music on a loop!

I'll let you know my thoughts as / when I bite.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ellsworth004

Finally finished RDR2, i have mixed feelings about it. Controls are kinda crappy but i got used to them so thats ok. I think maybe the main story was a little too drawn out. I found myself just wishing it would end. But i was a really great story and i enjoyed it mostly. The one thing that would of made this game so much better for me would of been a way to fast travel back to camp. Could of been something that u unlocked a little later in game or something. I found myself using cinematic mode alot to go back to camp, pretty much just like using fast travel just takes alot longer. All in all its a great game and im glad i saw it through to the end.

ellsworth004

PSN: ellsworth004

DerMeister

Took longer than it should have, but I finally finished Final Fantasy Type-0 yesterday.

As someone who wanted the game when it was originally a PSP title, I'm happy that my experience with it went well. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable on it's own.

I like how the story, for 7 out of 8 chapters, is honest for a Final Fantasy game. It's a game about a war, but it's played realistically in a fantasy game. As a result it has a darker tone than anything else in the series (To my knowledge, this is the only FF game with an M rating, which should tell you enough). I normally dislike making something "gritty and realistic" in a setting where reality is repeatedly bent over on someone's knee, but I felt it worked well here, and it even had me more invested in what happened due to the more serious stakes.

Chaper 8 however, reminds you that you're playing Final Fantasy by going to the usual "doom the world" plot and honestly, it felt out of place. It comes without any real buildup, and it felt shoved in to me. The ending made up for it though, by fitting with the game's themes and being appropriately bittersweet in a game (mostly) about war. There are multiple endings, with a "True ending" coming on a second playthrough, but I'm satisfied enough with the normal ending for now.

I think it goes without saying that the graphics are the low point of the game. I wasn't expecting much from a PSP remaster, but it can be jarring to look at the nicely made models of Class Zero next to an NPC who didn't get touched up. Some of the game's cutscenes also appear to be taken straight from the PSP, meaning you see Class Zero's lower res looks here too. Environments aren't much better, being simple and walled off whenever you explore a town.

The gameplay is what makes it worth it for me though, and I enjoyed the battle system here. It's action based, with an emphasis on finding weakpoints via pattern recognition. The game calls this Breaksight (essentially a crit) and Killsight (what do you think?). It makes for fun encounters throughout the game, and the multiple playable characters (14!) give you some good options, from the hand to hand fighter, the gunslinger, or even the....flute player. Never underestimate a flute player. You make a team of three, but you can have just two or even go solo if you want to, you crazy person. I will note that you want at least one marksman on your team, so it's not recommended to have all physical fighters, unless you equip them with magic and have MP to spare.

Oh, speaking of magic, you can upgrade spells in this via the Altocrystarium. When you defeat enemies, you can harvest phantoma, which is used to boost your spells. Depending on the spell, you can upgrade it's range, lower it's MP cost, speed up it's cast time, etc. I admittedly didn't use it that much, but it's a cool feature, and did help the magic I did use.

Overall, I do recommend this game, especially for the FF fans. It's not a classic, and the story does things I don't like, but it's enjoyable to play, and what the story does get right is great. I also want this game to be remembered for more than just having the FFXV demo.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

JohnnyShoulder

Finished Resident Evil 7 over the weekend.
Pros:
Really creepy, tense atmosphere with some brilliant sound design, this game needs to be played with a decent set of headphones.
A welcome return to the slower pace of the earlier games, with some tense combat.
Brilliantly gruesome in places.
The Baker fam are brilliant and quite relentless in their pursuit of you.
Cons:
Unfortunately the Molden are not and are really boring to fight.
The last couple of boss fights were a bit extreme and felt at odds with the rest of the game.
Puzzles are bit on the simplistic side.
Melee combat can feel a bit floaty at times

Overall I really enjoyed the game and reccomended it to anyone who is a fan of horror.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

andreoni79

God of War.
This was my first GoW game and I have mixed feelings about it: few characters, few locations, few enemies... Feel like devs couldn't decide what kind of game they wanted to do and I doubt I'll play it again to search for its soul...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

crippyd

Finished Batman Arkham Knight on new game plus last night. It's been a long time since I played it but I went back to mop up the last few Riddler Trophies and got sucked back in. Great game and the best of the Arkham series in my opinion.

crippyd

dellyrascal

Ratchet and Clank... halfway through challenge mode now with the RYNO...

Had this down as a platformer over the years for some reason, but its a very good amalgam of different genres... Most fun i've had in a game for ages...

I stood there chattering in excitement, like a necrophile at a bus crash....

Twitter:

Bonbonetti

Finished 11-11 Memories Retold. Got an ending which I think was one of the good ones, at least both protagonists survived. I was tempted to immediately start a second playthrough just try out some new choices, the story took me completely by sursprise towards the end, with some very clever writing. However, my backlog is just too big right now so it will have to wait.

I really liked the game, the story and characterizations were fantastic. It was also more of a game than I first expected. I imagined it would be a narrative game in style of Virginia, Gone to Rapture and so on, but that is not the case, there is actual gameplay here: stealth, platforming, puzzles, ... and of-course, plenty of choices to make.

The visual style deserves a special mention. There were a few times when I thought it looked a bit "muddy", like in the early trench sections, but for the most part it looked nice, often very beautiful.

One complaint though, is that I didn't feel the ending matched the choices I made that well, as if the choices made didn't really matter that much in the end, and that I got a more generic ending rather than a more personal and unique one. I went with the "nice" choices, being good and all that, but I did not get an ending that reflected this, getting a much darker ending than I expected.

On the whole though, an interesting, unique and highly memorable game.

Bonbonetti

Th3solution

@Ralizah Thanks for that excellent write-up about Cuphead - a game that I heard so much collective rumblings about but literally had no idea what it was. It is universally praised by critics and fans alike, but I always find real world impressions from a Push Square regular to be the most informative. And I appreciate how well you always seem to articulate your ideas and bring an objective and logical approach sprinkled with your subjective review. I think this is an example of a useful report which is a combination of how the fun-factor of a game is, but also why it is or isn’t enjoyable. A real relay of what makes the game tick. So thanks again, and even though I doubt I’ll play Cuphead any time soon, you make me want to go out and buy an Xbox or get a gaming PC just for the experience.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution Thanks! I always appreciate when people take the time to actually read the walls of text I slap up on the forums. <3

Anyway, I doubt you'd need a real gaming PC to run it. The recommended specs are pretty low, all things considered. Even my aging gaming PC is way overkill in terms of what the game likely needs to run well. I'm just thankful it was on Steam instead of the Windows 10 store, as I have no plans on upgrading from Win 8.1 until either a better operating system releases or the thing breaks in some non-trivial way and literally all I can get is a Win10 PC.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

themcnoisy

@Ralizah You can speed up Psycho Pass with a button press but only during passages of story you have already seen. I think you press and hold a trigger button or triangle - I can't actually remember.

I love psycho pass and played it for 40-50 hours and it's my favourite visual novel by far, as something about the setting and writing style really connects with me. Your mini review was spot on though points of conflux should be more easily identifiable.

Tonight I finished 2 games.

Astrobot - Platinum. Best game I have played since the Mass Effect trilogy. So good. It won't be for everyone but I like taking games at a gingerly pace so for me it's perfection. I can't imagine how any game can top it in the foreseeable.

Tetris Effect - Journey Mode. I read over a couple of reviews that journey modes last few levels are difficult. I found it pretty easy when I was zoned in with VR tonight. I ran through the last 6 stages and only mucked up once which was completely my fault, going for a multi zone clear when I got overconfident. I'm decent at Tetris and can totally see how I can get better using VR. I've even started watching classic Tetris tournaments which is strangely compelling.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Kidfried

@themcnoisy Watching Tetris is something I can do all day. I can watch pretty much anyone who is as good or better than me for hours on end.

I feel like a bad Tetris fan, but I still haven't played Tetris Effect. I keep having this arcade itch, so I hope to pick it up soon!

A stream I enjoyed a lot lately is the Tetris 99 stream from Kyle Bosman (Easy Allies). You have to skip almost half an hour until he starts the actual game, but it gets pretty good: https://youtu.be/XaleXk6pZNw

Kidfried

themcnoisy

@Kidfried I watched Tetris Master 3 master mode clear. The skillz are ridiculous. During the credits screen the blocks disappear and the player was still racking up lines. Crazy.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy Only passages where there are no changes whatsoever to any of the dialogue at any point, and because the game loves to change one word or so depending on a choice you made, you'll end up re-reading 95% of the dialogue without the ability to skip.

Have you seen the anime series it's based on?

I've heard the higher refresh rate in the PSVR headset might help with playing Tetris. Also, it's going to be more immersive, which probably helps gameplay as well.
I can only imagine. Just playing in a dark room with headphone plugged in was like being transported to another world. VR must be truly spectacular for that game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah @themcnoisy Ya know I still never made it past the final level of Tetris Effect Journey mode. I would try it for about 30-60 minutes at a shot every day or two and couldn’t get close enough. I think it’s what, 100 lines I think, and it hits hyperdrive speed at 60, so 40 lines at that speed has been too much for me, even when I keep a clear board up to that speed point. I definitely was getting better from the practice, but couldn’t get past like 82-85 lines or so. I finally was too frustrated so I haven’t tried for several weeks. Maybe later. Brilliant game though.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@Ralizah @Th3solution I've watched the first season of Psycho pass.

Tetris Effect is completely different in VR. Especially with the effects going off, the praying level is insane. That said I don't prescribe to the GOTY train for it. Coming on the back of Astrobot it's too shimmery and the VR doesn't have any gameplay mechanics, although the play area can be bigger - like playing on the Gameboy with your face right up to it. And you definitely get more in the zone with no distractions.

RR529

Fishing Star World Tour - Well, about as finished with it as I'm going to be. I've completed the "World Tour" and completed all the missions in every world, but I still have 3 of the 8 "Legendary" rank fish left to catch (one per world). They're more of a post game challenge, but with so few left I can't help but feel "incomplete" leaving them uncaught. They're just SOOO hard. I have the best rods & reels in the game, but no combination I've tried works (My line either has enough power to reel them in but not enough strength to hold them whenever they fight back, or enough strength to keep them from immediately snapping the line but not enough power to reel them in, resulting in me losing a battle of attrition).

Anyhow, it's an otherwise fine game that's a good way to unwind. In fact, during the normal course of the game the motion controls are perfectly viable & actually quite fun.

2019 completion list (newly beat in bold)

Switch:

• Fishing Star World Tour

PS4:

• Dragon Quest XI
  • Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic