Forums

Topic: Danganronpa

Posts 121 to 140 of 233

Ralizah

Welp, guess I was wrong about the first victim!

Is this game going to emphasize lying and turn it into another mechanic in the trials? Because, if so, that's awesome!

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

PSN: Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah Yeah, that will become a regular thing now. It's also quite hard to figure out when during the trials you should lie, so that will pose some challenge as well.

"To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly"
"They fail to live because they are always preparing to live" - Alan Watts
"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ralizah

@KratosMD Interesting. I'm hoping to get some free time soon so that I can bang through this first class trial. I can dip in and out during other parts of the game with ease thanks to the Vita's portability, but I really prefer doing the trials in one go.

Ralizah

Tsumugi is a riot. Whoever translated this game must have had fun with all the references she makes. I've noticed references to the Fate series, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Monster Hunter so far.

Prediction time before the first trial! I think Shuichi is somehow involved in this crime. He's either the killer or somehow aiding the killer. The game is trying way too hard to make me like him. Also, I think, long term, Maki is going to be the "Kyoko" of this game, instead of Shuichi.

Edited on by Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah You're going to see a lot of references like those throughout the game! They didn't even bother to hide some of these from plain sight, haha.

It's so hard not to comment directly on your thoughts, lol. Anyway, interesting thoughts. I think I shared a similar mindset like yours back when I was going through that part of the story.

"You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ralizah

WHAT A TWIST!

I can't believe how unexpected and devastating the tutorial trial in this game was.

I have absolutely no idea how this story is going to evolve going forward, and that's both refreshing and a little scary.

Edited on by Ralizah

KratosMD

@Ralizah I'm telling you man, V3 is going to absolutely knock your socks off. It's so good, and the first chapter was easily the best opening to any Danganronpa game.

Kidfried

Due to all of the praise for the series in this topic I decided upon buying 1-2 Reload. No regrets! Thanks @KratosMD @Th3solution @Ralizah @belmont @jim_bob_89 @ReanSchwarzer7 and everyone I forgot.

I won't go into much detail yet, as I have not finished, but really enjoying a lot of the stuff in there.

Regard my dear
It's all downhill from here

KratosMD

@Kidfried Hope you'll enjoy both of the games. They are so underrated and definitely one of the best visual novel series ever made.

Th3solution

@Kidfried Awesome! I’m glad you’re liking it. Danganronpa is such a unique and entertaining experience. I should have thought you would like it since it does have some puzzle solving gameplay to it with the murder investigations and trials. (A little more sophisticated than TT Batman’s crime scene investigations 😂) And the story is a lot of fun with its crazy characters, yet deep and philosophical at the same time. I’ll be curious to hear your impressions as you play through. Each game crescendos toward great endings.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Kidfried

Just finished it! Wow what a bizarre game. I'll collect some of my impressions in this post.

I'm always a bit in conflict about visual novel type of games, but this one had me seriously hooked. There's some very good stuff in it, and some bad stuff as well.

Loved the mystery throughout and trying to predict the turns the game would make. Even though a lot of the times I could guess who was the killer was from the start, I liked how they would complicate the stories in a way that deepened the characters.

Also loved how the game was fully self-aware. Sometimes just straight-up mentioning its own shortcomings. It really made it feel like you were in dialogue with the game and its characters throughout.

Didn't like how some of the trial puzzles were kinda vague, requiring you to force yourself through them by trying the different options. The manga for instance, I just had a hard time sometimes seeing what was depicted, due to the images being so small.

And it felt like a game on a pretty tight budget, which I think was a shame and held the game back at a few points.

The might be some remarks to be made about sexism/etc, but I don't think are a problem at all. You have to understand this game in its cultural context and also look at how it plays with the topic as well.

I think the ending was really strong. Never really expected this game to be that much of a coming-of-age story, but it works so well. The open ending, the kids not knowing what might be outside, contributes to that as well.

And of course, now I'm wondering: how is Danganronpa 2? Is it better or worse?

Regard my dear

KratosMD

@Kidfried Danganronpa 2 is better but if you didn't like the difficulty in the first game then you'll most likely not like it in the second one. I thought the second game was much more difficult, with the puzzles getting more and more convoluted. There's one in chapter 2 that I thought was absolute BS, and I'm going to be honest, I actually rage quit the game on chapter 2 before picking it up again some time later with a calmer mind.

But overall, the second game is better, the setting is much nicer, the characters are more varied and interesting and the ending is MUCH better than the first game. But you will notice a steep increase in difficulty.

Kidfried

@KratosMD Great to hear about story and characters. Because story really is the thing I'm most worried about. I kept asking myself: how do you keep this concept fresh for two more games?

So, that's a relief.

And I have to admit that I had to use the internet for a certain case already in this game. I often experienced that I exactly knew what evidence I should use to get to the truth, but the game sometimes made it so much more convoluted than needs to.

Like that instance in which you have to prove that someone who is standing in the same room and just talked five seconds ago is not dead.

But I've played a lot of point-and-click games that didn't make any sense (King's Quest, Money Island, etc.), so I think I can look past that kinda stuff!

Edited on by Kidfried

Regard my dear

Ralizah

@Kidfried Danganronpa 2 has MUCH better writing, more complex and interesting trials, a more unique cast of characters, and arguably superior mini-games.

I actually don't agree with @KratosMD that it's "harder." The trials are more involved, so there are more factors to consider, but I rarely had issues understanding what evidence to present at the trials. And this is coming from someone who has struggled mightily with certain Ace Attorney cases.

KratosMD

@Ralizah The point is that if @Kidfried found the puzzles in the first game to be hard then he's going to either find them equally hard or even harder in the second game. For example, the 'manga' part of the trial in the first game is present in the second game, meaning that he would find it as problematic as before or even more. I'm just trying to put myself into his perspective of the game, and in that regards the second one is harder than the first.

KratosMD

Spoilers for the second game

@Ralizah The fact that the murder weapon was gravel put in the stolen swim suit. It was certainly not obvious to me and that part of the game really felt like something they would've done in Ace Attorney. I certainly didn't think like "Oh, the murderer stole the swim suit and then the aquarium was shattered. It's totally obvious he took the gravel from the aquarium and put it in the swim suit and then used it to swing it as a weapon!". That part was the most BS I've ever encountered in a Danganronpa game. And while it does make sense in hindsight, it didn't when I was playing because I was expecting a regular weapon like in all the other prior cases, not something creatively made. Chapter 2 was in general just so convoluted trying to mix two separate murders at the same time and that was definitely my least favourite chapter in the game. The rest of them were fantastic otherwise.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Oh. I could see that being confusing for someone.

My least favorite chapter was probably Chapter 4. Strawberry House and Grape House were pretty boring sections of the game, all things considered, and the revelation about how they were connected wasn't terribly impressive to me.

KratosMD

@Ralizah That's actually pretty funny because for me that was one of the best chapters in the game just because how well put together that place was. It felt like something Joker would've designed for Batman and it was clever and charming all around. I mean how could you not like the part where Nagito takes on the Death Challenge and was essentially the only one out of the group that could stand a chance at winning the maximum amount of rewards because of his luck. And then figuring out that the murder weapon was the building itself, it was such a neat twist.

God now I want to replay D2. Even though I had some issues with it, it was still a cosy game to play just because of the setting and the wonderful music to go along with it.

Edited on by KratosMD

Ralizah

@KratosMD I did like the escape sequence, which was a really elaborate reference to the Zero Escape games. There are also 999 and VLR references in some of the trophy names. And VLR has a character who is clearly meant to bring Monokuma to mind. I really like how the DR and ZE creators seem to admire each-other's work so much.

Chapter 3 is probably my favorite in the game (it's an utterly absurd and creepy chapter, up to and including the bonkers execution), but I also really like Chapter 2. The way they integrated the Twilight Syndrome video game (which is totally based on a real video game that looks exactly like that, btw) into the mystery was clever, Peko's scheme was cunning and thought-provoking, and the execution was easily the best in the entire series.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

@Kidfried Overall I think D2 was a better game, but for some reason I may have enjoyed D1 a little bit more. I know that doesn’t make sense, but the second game feels more fleshed out, the setting is more open and the plot even more intricate than the first. It feels less ‘budget constrained’ (although realistically, you’re not getting cutting edge graphics or mechanics in these games) and the student relationships are better, I think. But ... the first game just had a little more ... something ... I don’t know how to describe. Maybe more charm than the second? It may just be that it’s all so new and unique in the first game and so the second game follows familiar patterns so it’s not as much of a surprise when you see the blood start to spill. But don’t worry, they still do an excellent job of making the second game fresh in a lot of ways. Without spoiling anything, there are still trials and puzzles and mini games and relationship building activities during free time, etc, but it will feel different, for sure. If you enjoyed the first, without question you will enjoy the second.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic