Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,271

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo Ooh, that’s a good one, they’re both very different games to be honest. I couldn’t possibly pick because I like both classic Resi gameplay and the more 3rd person shooter elements in the remake. I like a lot of the changes, I know not everyone liked Mr X but I found him really tense and it made the police station feel extremely unsafe even if you’d cleared most of the rooms. The sewers and city were disappointing compared to the original however. It’s a good one to debate for sure.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Anti-Matter

1. Para Para Paradise by Konami is more interesting than Just Dance by Ubisoft.

2. Gitadora by Konami is far more interesting than Guitar Hero / Rock Band.

3. I prefer not so popular games but still appropriate for kids / teen than typical AAA Western 3rd party games that mostly rated 18+ games.

Anti-Matter

Jessiex

The Vita is better than the 3DS and the Switch.

Nintendo is overrated.

Can't wait for PS5!

nessisonett

@Jessiex I know it says unpopular opinions but surely there’s a line 😉

Nei

@Jessiex idk about Nintendo being overrated but I do prefer the Vita to 3DS and Switch. It’s still the coolest little piece of hardware...

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

Jessiex

I never had the chance to get a Vita. It looks very cool though.

Can't wait for PS5!

nessisonett

@Jessiex If you don’t own a Vita then how do you know it’s better than the 3DS and Switch? I do love my Vita for ports and Persona but it just doesn’t have the exclusives. The 3DS has an insane library and while I’m not massively keen on my Switch, it still has some of the most critically acclaimed games this generation.

Ralizah

I like my Vita more than my PS4, but I prefer the Switch and 3DS more than either of them.

Vita had amazing support very early on, but that dried up quickly, all of its exclusives are playable on other devices now, and it never received good JRPG support. It used to be a good portable device for playing indie games, but the Switch has fully inherited that legacy. Still, it's the machine that introduced me to Danganronpa, Corpse Party, and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, so it'll always have a place in my heart and on my shelf.

The PS4 is easily the best all-around device this gen, but for a person who owns multiple platforms and who is pretty unexcited by the sort of realistic and "cinematic" experiences modern Sony excels at developing, it's underwhelming. I love Playstation's trophy system, but my PC plays games at higher framerates and with more control options, and my Switch allows me to play games on and off the TV (before anyone mentions remote play - I've tried it, and it just doesn't work well for me. Not even when I'm in the same room with the PS4).

The 3DS has one of the best console libraries I've ever seen. It's in my top three all time consoles list, right behind PS1 and PS2.

The Switch... well, it can be very strong or very unappealing, depending on your preferences. I love most of its exclusive games and am more of a handheld gamer at heart, so I really adore the thing, but I could see why someone might find it underwhelming.

At the end of the day, though, this talk of preferentialism mostly doesn't matter. I buy multiple platforms because games matter much more to me than corporate loyalism. As long as Sony and Nintendo keep putting out games I'm deeply excited to play, I'll keep buying their newest platforms.

And I'll do the same with Microsoft if they ever decide to create worthwhile exclusives again.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Jessiex

@nessisonett because I've played it and it's Sony. It's quality.

Can't wait for PS5!

Th3solution

@Arugula Okay.... I’ll take the bait. 😄

That Sony only publishes third person action adventure games is actually way overblown.
Yes, their key products are of the same or a similar genre: Spider-Man, HZD, GoW, Days Gone, Infamous SS, The Order 1886, Uncharted, etc.

But everyone forgets about all their other diverse games, the pinnacle being Dreams - the most innovative project this generation, I’d wager. Others: Concrete Genie, Death Stranding, Tetris Effect, Gravity Rush 2, The Show, Erica, The Unfinished Swan, Killzone, Tearaway, Medievil, Wipeout Omega, Ratchet & Clank, Knack 1 & 2 ...
...And don’t forget about Until Dawn, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Collosus, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Detroit Become Human....
....And we don’t know what TLoU2 and GoT are going to be yet, and something tells me they are going to push existing boundaries quite a bit, especially TLoU2.
....And I can’t even begin to list all the VR stuff they have published or backed. All of which is extremely innovative and hardly “samey” with their other big titles. They are completely in a class by themselves in the console space with all the VR content. (Well, sorry, I guess Switch has a functional VR. I don’t want to start that debate up again). But the point is, I think people remember all the glory days of “Sony loves indies” or whatever the moniker was in the PS2 or PS3 era. Yes, they cut support for the indie developers and they have produced and developed more big budget AAA titles that all have the strength of gritty, photo-realistic, story-driven, third-person action games, but it’s hardly all they have done. They have produced platformers, bright and artistic games, puzzle games, arguably the industry’s best sports game, horror games, experimental games, remasters, sequels, new IP’s,....
I see them trying to stay diverse, but no one is buying their more radical and unconventional stuff. The more people don’t buy and support Concrete Genie, Dreams, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian... then the more Spider-Man, Uncharted, and God of War we’re going to get. Not that those are bad games, but they sell and get all the publicity.

Edit: And I do realize that some of the games I listed are not Sony first party studios, but they are all Sony published, I think. And I apologize if I come across as trying to invalidate your opinion because I just realized I’m in the “Unpopular Opinions” thread 😂, and we agreed not to argue about someone’s wayward opinion on here so all can feel free to say what they want. Certainly I’ve heard people say they want more diversity from Sony and I can’t argue that it would not be a good thing if Sony did branch out even more next generation.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Anti-Matter

1. Monster Rancher 4 PS2 Battle System is far more interesting than Pokemon Battle System despite i like those both IP.

2. Ratchet and Clank games are felt easier than 3D platformer Mario. There are some levels on 3D Mario games that really hard and made you just only one time visiting and never visiting that level anymore after you cleared that level.

3. Old Bomberman games by Hudson Soft are far better than Super Bomberman R by Konami.

Anti-Matter

NickWba20

Unpopular Opinion :The Last Of Us is good but it's not a master piece which most would have you believe It is.

NickWba20

PSN: NickWba20

Tjuz

@NickWba20 An opinion I would have to agree with. Very much a well crafted game with a story that hits the occasional emotional beat, but I can't say I walked away from it believing it to be the best, or even in the top 10 best gaming experiences I've ever had like some. I can understand why some are in love with it though, and it's definitely not boring. Just not quite up to par with what I would call an amazing game.

Edited on by Tjuz

Tjuz

NickWba20

Tjuz wrote:

@NickWba20 An opinion I would have to agree with. Very much a well crafted game with a story that hits the occasional emotional beat, but I can't say I walked away from it believing it to be the best, or even in the top 10 best gaming experiences I've ever had like some. I can understand why some are in love with it though, and it's definitely not boring. Just not quite up to par with what I would call an amazing game.

For what it's worth I'm looking forward to the sequel but it's not a superb flawless game in my opinion. I enjoyed the likes of Death Stranding, Bloodborne Spiderman and Horizon much more (that's if we only talk about exclusives)

NickWba20

PSN: NickWba20

Ralizah

The Last of Us was generic, depressing, and utterly lacking in the sort of fun humor or spectacular set-pieces that make the Uncharted games worth playing. People keep gabbing about it like we weren't already drowning to death in post-apocalyptic and zombie narratives in 2013. Which isn't to say nothing interesting can be done with the genre, but I didn't see that with TLOU.

mookysam

@Ralizah I've come to agree with this viewpoint. The first game had a profound message and the performances and writing were excellent - all things I respect it for - but on reflection I actually felt quite miserable playing it. And so I have no appetite at all for the sequel. I don't think it will have anything new to say and it appears violent for the sake of it and to the point of being repugnant. Now that the world is in quite a terrible state it's adding to the feeling that I really don't want to play it because it may actually trigger me. Hopefully Naughty Dog will make something more lighthearted after this!

@KratosMD The gameplay was a decent take on survival horror although I found it quite tricky at times, particularly against human enemies.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ridwaano

I feel more people should try low budget games instead of looking for the big budget games! They can find some really good games!. Underrated gems. My biggest recommendations

Ridwaano

Ralizah

@KratosMD Well, the gameplay is... fine? It's a little more dynamic and visceral than the original Uncharted trilogy (although, personally, I preferred Uncharted 4's combat, with its inclusion of rope swinging/punching and limited stealth). Like Uncharted, though, I find it to be a bit shallow. That's fine in Uncharted, because those games are about the spectacle and sense of flow. They don't usually slow down long enough for me to care that the action isn't really varied or strong.

In a game like this with such a slower, exploratory pace, something needs to be added to spice up the gameplay variety, imo. In a classic survival horror game, you'd find environmental puzzles and highly interactive, non-linear environments to fill that role. But this game has incredibly static environments, and, like the first three Uncharted games, the environments aren't terribly exploratory. It seems like the limited number of items that can be used in crafting spiced up the gameplay sufficiently for you, which is great, but it's rudimentary enough that it didn't add much for me.

Combat-wise, there are, imo, way too many sections that devolve into Joel creeping around an environment stealth-killing random raider mooks. The clickers are interesting in theory, but I hated their instakill attacks, and often found them much more annoying than scary.

@mookysam Out of interest, what was the profound message you took away from TLOU?

The writing and performances were indeed, all quite good. And, of course, it was a visually impressive game, both in terms of sheer visual fidelity (TLOU Remastered isn't THAT big of an upgrade, and it still looks like a current gen game) and in terms of the 'direction.' As a heavily cinematic experience, it's probably quite an accomplishment.

I just don't... care about any of that, personally. And the subject matter and story in general were a bit standard for the genre.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

As somebody who is still putting off TLOU because it really really doesn’t appeal to me at all, you lot are definitely making me less likely to play it! Zombies are just so overdone and gritty, brown-ish games were ten-a-penny a few years ago and I just generally can’t be bothered.

Th3solution

@Ralizah @KratosMD @mookysam @nessisonett I’m not sure I’d put TLoU on my top 10 as an all time favorite, but to me it was a deeply moving experience. I really like the whole cinematic and narrative driven angle. The gameplay was perfectly adequate and enjoyable, in a survival horror kind of way. It is sort of bleak and lacking in levity when compared to its Uncharted brethren. But more than any of the UC games (all of which I very much adore) it left me pondering the message and reliving the story beats in my mind after I completed it. Even to this day, the weight of the narrative left an impression on my psyche.

Since @nessisonett hasn’t played it I won’t go into detail, but the journey of the characters, their relationships, and the general drama of their situation was pretty impactful. Yeah, the post apocalyptic zombie-like setting is quite a bit overdone, but perhaps part of why I enjoyed it is that I really don’t particularly like that setting; therefore I don’t clamber to play those types of games usually so maybe it resonated with me better since I hadn’t hit ‘zombie saturation’ when I played it and it still seemed fresh to me.

It’s also one of those games that I haven’t particularly felt inclined to play again, so I haven’t played the PS4 Remaster. Maybe that in and of itself is telling — since the best part of it is the story and the ending imo, and you can’t ever experience it again for the first time. I’d rather keep my fond memories of how it left me speechless after the first playthrough.

I did think the multiplayer tack-on “Factions” was over-rated. I actually enjoyed the Uncharted MP modes even though they were also added on at a time when every game had to have some random online component to keep people from selling back their game when they finished it. But Factions felt even more like superfluous fluff even though a lot of people raved about it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic