Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,271

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy the last one that was released sorry, i should have made that more clear

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Ralizah

DOOM 2016 is easily the best shooter I've ever played. It's pure fun.

With that said, I also enjoyed DOOM 3. It just... isn't a good DOOM game. As a FPS/survival horror mashup, though? Pretty neat.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

AshSilverChair95

1-CDPR makes the works of companies like Bethesda look like amature hour.

2-TW3 is still the pinnacle of RPGs as a whole & its storytelling,amazing side quests & interesting characters & world have yet to be outmatched.

3-Ubisoft is a horrible company who's got lots of good ideas on paper , but sucks at executing them & with the exception of the SC franchise,the Rayman games & the upcoming BGAE 2 , note that I didn't play the original ,they couldn't make a good game even if their life depended on it.

4-Sony's actually the only one out of the big 3 who pushes the boundaries in terms of graphics & good storytelling & overall their hardware's got the best exclusives.

5-Finally, survival horror games should go back to their roots & evolve the 3rd person formula with fixed camera angles , similar to Until Dawn, keep in mind that I enjoyed games like RE7 & The Evil Within.

AshSilverChair95

AdamantiumClaws

I'd have to agree that I'm much more into the 3D Sonic Games, just think they're more fun, when done right of course, which sadly isn't often. Sonic Adventure 2 battle is the gold standard for me.

I would also have to agree that Last of Us was good but not a masterpiece. Played it once, never felt the need to again. I think the Uncharted games are much more fun.

Also would have to agree that Xbox controllers are overhyped. They're not bad, just not perfection as many people say. Can't stand the triggers, and also can't stand the names for the buttons. LB and LT....get outta here. The original Xbox controller is one of the worst I've ever played on though, have to say.

Even the rocks do not recall.

BAMozzy

@AshSilverChair95 I would agree that the Witcher 3 pushed the open world RPG genre beyond anything Bethesda has done in recent years but that was their first 'Open World game and Bethesda really only brought out Fallout 4 a few months later. I do agree though that Fallout 4 felt 'old' after W3 but games like Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim (unless on PS3) were still at the top of their field. No doubt CDPR will continue to push the open world RPG but its too early to tell whether Bethesda will close the gap after the Witcher 3.

Ubisoft can be very good. Assassins Creed was great, then dropped off butt came back with one of the 'best' games of 2017. Rainbow Six: Seige seems very popular too - not my thing personally but is still going strong. They have tried at least to bring 'new' franchises as well as keep some fan favourites going - unlike EA and Activision who seem to be relying on a 'few' existing franchises and use 'Micro-transactions' to boost profits. Instead of taking a chance on a new franchise, invest in actually making games, they would rather scale down game development and increase the ways of getting more money from their fans. Ubisoft, whilst they may have some 'micro-transactions' have also given us 'new' IP's like Watchdogs, For Honour, the Crew, Steep, the Division, Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Skull & Bones - as well as numerous 'small/indie' type games like Child of Light, Valiant Heart, Grow Up, Trials and spin offs, Toy Soldiers etc. All while still bringing us more established franchises like Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Just Dance, South Park etc. Maybe not all your 'preferred' genres or games but at least its a 'variety' of genres. I am not saying they are the 'best' 3rd party publisher but at least they bringing us a lot of options and most are 'decent' within their genre even if they are not necessarily Game of the Year contenders.

As for Sony, they are helped by the fact that their 'base' console is the most powerful on the market. The Switch is not capable of pushing 'graphics' because of the hardware limitations and so have to be more 'artistic' in their graphical design rather than push the boundaries. MS are also limited more so than Sony because the XB1 is significantly less 'capable' than a PS4. You also have to consider that, apart from Turn 10 and Forza, their other 'big' studio's are relatively new. 343 and the Coalition were 'formed' after Bungie left and Epic moved on from Gears. Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games etc have been well established and making games for Sony for many years.

As for story telling, Sony studios have had some 'decent' stories to tell but I wouldn't say they have necessarily pushed any boundaries at all and I have played a lot of great story driven games with less predictable plots and better scripts. Arguably Ninja Theory's Hellblade pushed more boundaries by takling Mental Health in such a great way. Stories are of course subjective and resonate differently with people. They can be enhanced or negatively impacted on by game-play and other factors - if you can't put up with the clunky controls of 'Until Dawn' then you may not experience the full story. Sony also have made games to their 'strengths' and MS make games to their 'strength's' too in a way with a 'focus' on online with a campaign option. If you look at MS's 'big' franchises, they are well known for their online modes where as Sony's are more known for their Single player story.

Its no secret that Sony has the 'best' exclusives but that is helped by having a LOT of studio's and able to release a LOT more games. They are also able to build their games for the 'highest' spec in the base PS4 where as others have built to the 'lowest' spec - whether that's an XB1 or low-end PC - devices with lower RAM speeds, lower GPU capability and so can set the 'minimum' bar higher. That being said, Gears 4 is still a technical showpiece and holds up very well against Sony's games too. Whether you enjoy the game-play or story is irrelevant when you are just looking at the technical aspect of the visual presentation and performance. Also the Forza franchise holds up very well too against GT Sport - especially the newest ones.

As for Horror Survival, I must admit I do like the 3rd Person perspective with games like Dead Space for example but one of the best Horror Survival games this generation, Alien Isolation, also proved that first person perspectives work very well - perhaps even better because you can't see enemies behind you before they attack, can't corner glitch and see things your character can't or wouldn't see - you are actually seeing exactly what the character can see and that makes it much more intense, more 'horror'. I am not saying that 'all' Horror Survival games should be First Person but I do think that there is a place for both 3rd and 1st person perspectives in this genre.

@AdamantiumClaws The Xbox controller is considered the 'best' because the asymmetrical layout means that the Left thumb fall naturally on the the left thumbstick and as you don't need to constantly remove the Thumb to use the D-Pad, its in the most natural position for long term play. Because its a more natural position, you also have better control - its been proven time and time again and why professional gamers who play for hours and hours every day prefer them and why all but Sony use that layout. As for the naming, the LB, LT etc are self explanatory - Left Button - referring to the shoulder Button, Left Trigger etc. Its much 'easier' than L1, L2 and L3. The triggers are superior too - especially compared to any controller from Sony prior to the DS4 which in fairness, actually have a great angle and feel more like triggers. Its also why a LOT of FPS games used the 'shoulder' buttons to Shoot as the 'default' but I hated playing racing games on the PS3 because the trigger angles, the silly little horns to hold and symmetrical layout caused my hand to cramp up after a very short time. The symmetrical layout isn't an issue on the DS4 because they added more bulbous 'grips' and much better trigger angles but its still less 'natural' even though its by far the best Sony controller for comfort and long term use - to give credit where credit is due. MS's 'Duke' certainly wasn't the worst in my opinion. There have been a lot of controllers, joysticks etc that are 'worse' in the history of gaming. Granted it was 'oversized' and relatively weighty too but I at least found it 'comfortable' to use - I do prefer the smaller controllers though but the N64 'Trident' wasn't 'better' just as an example...

Whether any of my opinion here is 'unpopular' - maybe within the PS fanboy base, then so be it.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

@AshSilverChair95 Honestly I feel like you are cutting Ubisoft short, and judging them on the basis of only a part of their output. They produce a lot of games out each year and there is a huge diversity, more than any other company I can think of.

Sure, you might make an argument their headline games are not well executed, but there is a lot more: Anno, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, South Park, Trackmania, Bridge Crew, Mario + Rabbids. Many of them are actually lauded for their execution.

Kidfried

AdamantiumClaws

BAMozzy wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws The Xbox controller is considered the 'best' because the asymmetrical layout means that the Left thumb fall naturally on the the left thumbstick and as you don't need to constantly remove the Thumb to use the D-Pad, its in the most natural position for long term play. Because its a more natural position, you also have better control - its been proven time and time again and why professional gamers who play for hours and hours every day prefer them and why all but Sony use that layout. As for the naming, the LB, LT etc are self explanatory - Left Button - referring to the shoulder Button, Left Trigger etc. Its much 'easier' than L1, L2 and L3. The triggers are superior too - especially compared to any controller from Sony prior to the DS4 which in fairness, actually have a great angle and feel more like triggers. Its also why a LOT of FPS games used the 'shoulder' buttons to Shoot as the 'default' but I hated playing racing games on the PS3 because the trigger angles, the silly little horns to hold and symmetrical layout caused my hand to cramp up after a very short time. The symmetrical layout isn't an issue on the DS4 because they added more bulbous 'grips' and much better trigger angles but its still less 'natural' even though its by far the best Sony controller for comfort and long term use - to give credit where credit is due. MS's 'Duke' certainly wasn't the worst in my opinion. There have been a lot of controllers, joysticks etc that are 'worse' in the history of gaming. Granted it was 'oversized' and relatively weighty too but I at least found it 'comfortable' to use - I do prefer the smaller controllers though but the N64 'Trident' wasn't 'better' just as an example...

Whether any of my opinion here is 'unpopular' - maybe within the PS fanboy base, then so be it.

I don't think the triggers are superior at all, they make sense for shooters but not much else. I've always loved Sony's triggers, more comfortable in my hand, and the PS4 ones are just amazing, and very universal.

I will agree that sticks on top is a more natural position for the hand, but Xbox fails in my regard because one stick is at the top and one at the bottom, creating a huge disconnect for a lot of people including myself when playing. The Wii U Pro Controller succeeded in the way Xbox hadn't.

I prefer sticks to be parallel, it's better coordinated for me. So I'll take them being at the bottom over one here and one there.

And in terms of comfort in the hand, Dualshock 4 cannot be beat for me. So comfortable.

Tasuki

@AdamantiumClaws I will have to agree with @BAMozzy on a few points. Since getting my Xbox One I do find that my hands to fit more naturally with the uneven analog sticks. I also find the trigger buttons better suited for CoD and just in general the Xbox Controller just feels built better. The PS4 controller feels like I could snap that thing in half. I also like the fact that the Xbox One controller gives you the option of using normal batteries as well. One thing that annoys me with the DS4 particularly when going on a long game session. Yeah you can plug in a DS4 but with my layout that's impossible. But then again I guess it's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

@BAMozzy I always called them Left Bumper and Righter Bumper instead of buttons.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

BAMozzy wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws The Xbox controller is considered the 'best' because the asymmetrical layout means that the Left thumb fall naturally on the the left thumbstick and as you don't need to constantly remove the Thumb to use the D-Pad,

honestly i have to disagree i find the asymmetrical layout extremely uncomfortable and the parallel layout a lot more comfortable and easy to use but i also think that's subjective and each person is different although i agree the XB1's triggers are more comfortable to use than the DS4's

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

AdamantiumClaws

Tasuki wrote:

@AdamantiumClaws I will have to agree with @BAMozzy on a few points. Since getting my Xbox One I do find that my hands to fit more naturally with the uneven analog sticks. I also find the trigger buttons better suited for CoD and just in general the Xbox Controller just feels built better. The PS4 controller feels like I could snap that thing in half. I also like the fact that the Xbox One controller gives you the option of using normal batteries as well. One thing that annoys me with the DS4 particularly when going on a long game session. Yeah you can plug in a DS4 but with my layout that's impossible. But then again I guess it's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

@BAMozzy I always called them Left Bumper and Righter Bumper instead of buttons.

I realized that with the PS4 that you can plug the DS4 into any phone charger adapter that has a USB port and just plug it into the wall. That solved the problem for me of charging. I remember you couldn't do that with DS3.

I personally abhor using batteries and am glad it has been mostly phased out. Lol. One of the reasons I hate playing my Wii.

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Bumper or Button - both begin with B and therefore still a 'logical' fit for LB/RB...

@FullbringIchigo Maybe because that's what you have become accustomed to but its actually proven to be more 'beneficial' for gaming comfort over long sessions as its 'generally' a more natural position for the thumb. Of course there will be exceptions...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy part of the issue for me is the XB1 controller is a bit too bulky for my hands and it actually hurts after prolonged play, of course the fact i have stress fractures in my wrists and hands doesn't help much either

AshSilverChair95

@Kidfried I get what you were saying & yes I do know that games such as Valiant Hearts & Child of Light have garnered critical acclaim , but I think that the main problem with Ubi is how their yearly heavy hitters such as The Crew , AC ,WD & Far Cry are uninspired , samey & soulless imo.

AshSilverChair95

AshSilverChair95

@BAMozzy While I do agree that Ubi are better than Activision & Ea , still they should improve the quality of their games & make them less repetitive by moving away from your typical cookie cutter open world formula their games are known for .As for horror games I really do enjoy them all whether they're in 1st person , 3rd person or OTS they all work for me , it's just that I'm really interested to see if someone will take the classic RE formula & put their own twist on it.

AshSilverChair95

AshSilverChair95

Here are some of my other gaming opinions:

1-I can't believe that some people prefer last gen to this gen.

2-Western games got better stories while Japanese games are superior in terms of combat & speaking of Japanese games , I think that they generally suffer from weak stories & unrelatable protagonists .

3-Character customization in games such as the SR franchise is a lost art & seriously needs to comeback.

4-Lastly,sports games suck nowadays especially the WWE2K franchise these games prioritize realism over fun gameplay ,which is by the way a bad representation of how these sports are actually like in real life , this is the case mainly with the aforementioned WWE games.

AshSilverChair95

AshSilverChair95

@adf86 I totally agree that 60FPS is better , but some certain games such as Uncharted & TLOU look much better at lower framerates mainly because they're designed to feel like movies imo.

AshSilverChair95

Jaz007

I don’t care what’s been “proven” honestly, I prefer the placement of Sony’s sticks. I’ve never gotten a hand cramp from the DS4. Heck, the last time I remember getting cramped was from Spectrobes 2 on the freaken DS (Not 3DS).
I also think the trackpad is a great idea. It also makes it the best PC controller easy, since you can use it for the mouse.

Jaz007

BAMozzy

AdamantiumClaws wrote:

I personally abhor using batteries and am glad it has been mostly phased out. Lol. One of the reasons I hate playing my Wii.

Personally, I abhor the use of 'Normal' batteries too! However I love the option to use Normal Batteries, Rechargeable Batteries and rechargeable battery packs. I NEVER have to play wirelessly - EVER and never have to switch controllers or play wired whilst charging the controller. Some quote the MS battery pack as an example but you can also buy third party battery packs quite cheaply or even just buy rechargeable AA batteries that can be used in various other devices so you don't have to spend mega-bucks and, already have 'batteries' if you buy new controllers - not paying for 'built-in' battery that's so small and inadequate for long sessions.

Another advantage of battery compartments is that when the rechargeable battery dies, as they do because rechargeables only have a limited amount of charges, is that the controller isn't 'useless' when that happens. I have 3 DS3's that are useless because the battery is dead - another 2 that only last an hour at most. All my XB360 controllers are still fine and will be fine in 10yrs because I can use rechargeable AA's or even normal AA's long after 360 controllers are impossible to find. I know you may have to play wired but I prefer to play wirelessly.

mookysam

For me personally I much prefer the PS4 and other dualshock controllers. They are lighter than the Xbox controllers (I guess because of the latter's batteries), which, owing to my arthritis hurt my hands if I use them for a long time. That's actually a big deal for me. The Dualshock 3 did have crap "spongy" triggers, which was a big downside compared to the 360 one. However, Sony's controllers benefit from very good D-pads, which are also well positioned in relation to the left analogue stick. The triggers on the dualshock 4 are a big improvement on its predecessor, so I have no complaints there. Don't get me started on Nintendo's default controllers - they're horrid!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

I love the joycon controllers, as they're extremely comfortable to use when one is nestled in each hand, and they're extremely versatile. Being able to play games without my hands having to be locked in front of me is extremely freeing. If I could easily find a way to get my PC and PS4 to recognize them as one controller instead of two, I'd use them to play everything that doesn't require a D-Pad.

With that said, I think the DS4 is easily the most comfortable "traditional" controller this generation. It's a sleek controller with a great symmetrical layout (the analog sticks protrude further out than the D-Pad, so it makes sense to put the D-Pad near the edge of the controller so that both are relatively easy to access, as opposed to the terrible asymmetrical design of the Xbone and Switch Pro controllers, which make using the D-Pad uncomfortable), fantastic triggers, and analog sticks that are indented to actually grip your thumbs. It's too bad the borderline useless touchpad, the hard to press options and share buttons, and the extremely short battery life keep it from being as good as could possibly be.

So, for me:

Joycons > DS4 >>> Xbone controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Steam Controller (seriously, it's the most uncomfortable thing ever)

@AshSilverChair95 Last gen was the worst gaming generation I've ever been alive to experience. Japanese console gaming nearly died, and rote Western AAA blockbusters became standardized. Even Nintendo sucked, outside of a few gems like Super Mario Galaxy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic