Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,271

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it would be nice but as far as i'm aware the show was cancelled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

LieutenantFatman

@FullbringIchigo
I agree about the Lego games, I wanted to get into them but I didn't really get on with them. To be honest one of the things I like the least about modern gaming is the lazy collectathon thing so many devs do to give players something to do. "Hey, collect all the random junk we've thrown around the game world, go!" and that seems to be one of the core things going for the Lego games. Occasionally collecting can be fun if done right but yeah.. not so much here.

LieutenantFatman

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I do love Sonic Mania. Christian Whitehead has always seems to treat Sonic that much better than Sega has these past few years.
It's what Sonic 4 could, and should have been.

If there's a missed trick for the franchise, it's having concurrent 2D and 3D entries in the series could've worked really well.
A good example is Sonic Heroes. One of the few 3D Sonic games I genuinely enjoyed - and the rom hack Sonic Classic Heroes (highly recommended). They could've released together and done really well.

Forces, as I say - looks alright. But I want a Sonic game to play as Sonic, not some custom thing that doesn't even play as well as Sonic does for half the game. That calls back the release nonsense too. The biggest Nintendo release to compete with, a highly anticipated new Mario game - and the bestSega come up with following the acclaimed Sonic Mania is a Sonic game where don't play as Sonic that much. That's pretty dumb.

Also, there is fun to be had in Disney Infinity. My daughter was really in to it and still has a lot of the figures. It is worth playing.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@LieutenantFatman Yeah that is now I feel about the Lego games. Only really played a good chunk of the first Marvel Heroes game and it already felt like I had seen all that they had to offer.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

Unpopular Gaming opinion: The GameCube controller is awful.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Kidfried

@KALofKRYPTON The lone Z button is strange and the C-stick is lame... but the face buttons are awesome and the clickity triggers have an awesome feel to them. That alone elevates the GameCube controller for me. What don't you like about it?

Also, the LEGO games are boring. I don't think they're bad, but it's just the same game with a new lick of paint, without bringing anything new to the table otherwise.

Kidfried

KALofKRYPTON

@Kidfried The shape, the d-pad, the c-stick, the analogue range, the shoulder button travel, the face button size and position. It's awkward and always just felt like a prototype. Better than the N64 controller, but that's not saying much.

Pretty much everything! lol

I bought a Hori fightpad (basically, a GC SNES pad) for it years ago which was a god-send for fighters and shmups.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

BAMozzy

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

Unpopular Gaming opinion: The GameCube controller is awful.

Unpopular?? You mean to say that the majority of people actually liked it??? I thought the 'unpopular' opinion was that it was 'decent'....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

KALofKRYPTON

@BAMozzy Aside from my group of friends really in to fighting games, most of my other gaming mates cream over it. And the N64 trident!

And Ninty keep managing to sell them as 'special' Smash Bros controllers and no-one blinks but to gush about great a thing that is! haha

Ralizah

I absolutely love the GameCube controller, but it is VERY weird, and wouldn't really work well as a general-purpose controller today. Definitely extremely comfortable and fun to look at, what with the big, brightly-colored jelly bean buttons, though. And wonderful triggers: there's a visceral satisfaction when I click them down.

I also hate the N64 trident, though. It looks like it was designed for use by a three-handed alien.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

BAMozzy

@KALofKRYPTON I 'liked' the Trident at the time because it was so different and introduced the analogue controller which transformed gaming. I know a year later Sony introduced the Dual sticks but when I bought my N64, it was revolutionary. You had your 'original' PS controller on the outside prongs but the middle prong offered a comfortable 'pistol' type feel with the trigger and the thumbstick in a nice comfortable and natural position. Even though the original PS controller was larger in Europe than Japan, it still felt tiny and uncomfortable for me and was built on the NES/SNES controller format. Maybe by today's standards, the Trident is somewhat 'poor' but on release, it was revolutionary - not just the analogue system but was also built for adding rumble packs, memory cartridges and Transfer pack too for Pokemon.

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

DerMeister

I actually liked the Gamecube controller back in the day too. It felt good in my hands and I thought the design itself was nice. I used it a lot with Brawl on Wii and it still felt comfortable.

Never touched the N64 controller though.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD I know they aren't 'special', I was being facetious. They're necessary because Ninty are well aware that a) the JoyCons would likely be destroyed by most Smash players in pretty short order after release; and b) people will buy them, as the JoyCons - while brimming with features, are way too small with poor button and stick placement and no dpad.

@BAMozzy There were analogue sticks/controllers well before the N64. Sony were reportedly already working on the analogue controller, and Sega weren't far behind the N64 with the 3D controller for NIghts.
Namco had a horrid thing for Ridge Racer too - my mate had one, I think that was analogue but I'd have to check.

The N64 was pretty disappointing though all told. Maybe a dozen really good games, and then being conned in to buying the expansion pack...

I do wish I'd done the GoldenEye dual controller thing at the time though.

Tasuki

The Gamecube controller is one of my favorite controllers of all time, especially the Wavebird versions. Everytime I see one at a thrift store or garage sale, online, or at a flea market I don't hesitate to get it especially if it's at a reasonable price.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

@BAMozzy See... people love the CG controller!

DerMeister

I wonder- Is liking Final Fantasy VIII still an unpopular opinion these days? 'Cause if it is, that's another one of mine.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

LuckyLand

I liked a lot the Gamecube controller but it was good only for the games developed expecially for the Gamecube. For most of the other games it did not feel very comfortable, I always had the feeling that they were developed with a different gamepad in mind. I still like a lot the Gamecube pad, but games had to be specifically designed for it, otherwise it was quite frustrating often.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

JohnnyShoulder

Never played a GameCube so I have no idea what any of you are on about!

Still at least all the Sonic talk has stopped...

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Haha! Ditto, bro. I thought I was the only pathetic gamer that has never been enamored with Sonic. And I also have no real experience with the Game cube controller beyond seeing pictures of it! @DerMeister Nah, FFVIII is well loved. I just think it’s not as universally adored as VI and VII.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic