Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 201 to 220 of 1,271

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON hell yeah

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @Tasuki @FullbringIchigo
It's kind of a shame about Team Sonic Racing, but I suppose a straight up sequel would've been just as bad a sell as MK8 Deluxe.

TSR is looking a blast to play though. And I'm sure there's bound to be DLC down the road... (see what I did there?).

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i'm looking forward to team sonic racing but i do wonder if the sonic series has enough characters to a have a well balanced and robust roster

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Probably not. But since the teams are all set up as having 3 'types' - I'm guessing that the actual stat variance across the board will be pretty minimal from the outset.

I'm sure there are enough characters to fill it out. As I say, I fully expect some SEGA character dlc to show up. Perhaps teams of different franchises or types? An Arcade racer team; Hang On/Manx TT bike, Sega Rally Celica, and the Daytona Hornet sort of thing...

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KratosMD i suppose so but i can't think of anyone else from Sonic 06 the could use

@KALofKRYPTON oh i'm sure we will get DLC and IF it is characters from other games i would LOVE a Skies of Arcadia team

KALofKRYPTON

@KratosMD Don't forget, Infinite!!

Metal Sonic and Eggman/Robonik hasn't shown up yet either.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON nor Chaos either

DerMeister

Speaking of unpopular Sonic opinions, I really want Blaze to return as a playable character in a main title. Blaze in my opinion was the best of the characters introduced in the 2000's, being able to keep up with Sonic gameplay wise, and having fire powers. She fits in the series well enough and it would be cool if she was playable again.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

BAMozzy

Speaking of unpopular 'Sonic' opinions - I thought Shadow the Hedgehog game was OK - better than the Sonic the Hedgehog 3D game on PS3/XB360 anyway...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

FullbringIchigo

@BAMozzy i loved Shadow the Hedgehog when i first played it and still enjoy it now

and i assume your talking about Sonic 06?
Untitled

BAMozzy

@FullbringIchigo That's the one... That Sonic game was 'disappointing' to keep it polite....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo @KALofKRYPTON @KratosMD Team Chaotix is the safest bet, and then there'll be a villain team of Eggman, Metal Sonic and probably Chaos (causing confusion for us who communicate via the written word, when you consider that you can also race as multiple Chao, or indeed "Chaos"). That would fill out the fifteen slots thusfar.

Infinite, or maybe even Zavok, in the place of Chaos (not the Chaos, Chaos... grrr...) would be a curveball but possible, since they probably started developing this long before Sonic Forces was pulled to pieces by critics. At least Infinite is also an Eggman creation, which would make it Team Eggman, rather than shoving a random monster-of-the-week in there. I can also imagine that, if the All-Star moves (or equivalent) are making their return, Infinite would have a pretty cool Phantom Ruby teleportation attack.

The first DLC would likely be Silver (because people will be asking for him; the only missing major hedgehog) alongside Blaze and maybe Cream, since she's missing from Team Rose. My wildcards for the second DLC would be Jet, Wave and Storm, the trio of racers from Sonic Riders and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (hugely underrated games).

Unpopular Gaming Opinion: I really hope they keep other SEGA franchises out of Team Sonic Racing. Unless you go all the way back to the GameGear (and I really recommend you don't), we've never had a proper Sonic kart racer. I'm really, really glad that they're embracing the franchise and making something completely immersed in a single, unifying world, rather than the scattershot approach of the previous games which, no matter how wonderful they were overall, felt quite jarring when you went from a realistic-looking aircraft carrier to that freakin' NiGHTS level that'd make Salvador DalĂ­ blush. I never played and / or liked half of the games that Sonic, my beloved childhood hero, was forced to share both games with; I get it, I really do, but personally it just wasn't for me. I was never a SEGA fan. I just love Sonic.

Just a shame that as they have finally stopped messing about and created a straightforward Sonic kart racer, it's lumbered with this weird team mechanic that all hands-on previews have universally blasted. Oh well.

@DerMeister Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure are cracking games that I don't play nearly enough of (in fact, I don't think I've ever replayed the latter) and Blaze is definitely a highlight. Using her fire tornado spin attack to smash through badniks at full speed was a simple, cathartic joy. She receives consistent praise across the board, rare for an original character introduced in a 21st Century Sonic game (in fact, only Shadow may have her beat). She's long-overdue a return.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Good call on the teams.

I get where you're coming from. All Stars really was the best way in to the kart racing genre though. It was more than just a 'Sonic MK clone'. The additional franchises kept the roster, tracks and music fresh for both games, and around release of All Stars, the franchise and Sonic as a character was in a pretty sorry state. I think within a year or two, All Stars released, then Generations and Colours - all well received and the best outings for Sonic in quite a long while.

There wasn't much between All Stars and Transformed. Maybe Sonic 4? Episode 1 was awful, 2 less so. And another Mario sports game. All the while waiting for the next 3D platformer to be inevitably on par with or worse than Generations or Colours.
I really love Transformed. It's easily the best kart racer out there. I really hate that Sony stuck it on the PSTV blacklist.

Moving on to now - I guess at the start of and during development, franchise confidence was riding high. Despite the pretty awful Sonic Boom stuff, the recent mobile games were doing well and of course, Sonic Mania really couldn't have gone down better. Sonic Forces released at the worst possible time though. What I've seen of it actually doesn't look all that bad, but the Mario hype really overshadowed it and drew very unfavourable comparisons. By then though, I'm sure the die was cast to take TSR in the direction it is. I suspect that's why it has such a low launch price.

I do hope that they release TSR with a standard race mode though. I like the team idea, I really do - but as with Onrush, it's like someone decided that a decent online game mode is the whole crux of the game.

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON Sonic Forces was actually a pretty good game with only one real flaw, it was too short, game play wise it's probably the best version of the modern style we have had in years but i think it may have been rushed out early and the story does suffer for it because it wraps some things up WAY too quick

but definitely a good step in the right direction and if they expand upon it for the next one we could have a really good Sonic game on our hands

Untitled

also the Sonic Boom series was awesome

Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Bizarre to rush it to release right next to a Mario game. I think they wanted to ride the Sonic mania wave of goodwill.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON probably

anyway Unpopular Opinion time

The Lego games series isn't actually that good, yeah they hit just the right spot with the Star Wars ones but since then they have over saturated the market with what accounts to basically every release being the same game with a new skin

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Totally agree.

It was once novel - now it really isn't.

I enjoyed the first Star Wars ones, Indiana Jones was a nice change up.
Other than that, I really, really loved Lego Batman 3 - total fan service delivered up in spectacular style.

I only dabbled in LB2, but the John Williams music transition when taking flight as Superman was a glorious thing!

All that said, I really couldn't care less about the DC supervillains game - as it can only be a lot more of the same.

Even the trailer for Incredibles looked ropey, so I shudder to think what state that's in.

themcnoisy

@FullbringIchigo I think it depends on how much you like the franchise the game is based on. The first Marvel super heroes game I played through twice with my son. The Jurassic Park one I played for an hour.

I see the lego games like dynasty warriors games. There if you want one, like watching an episode of Antiques road show or homes under the hammer.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Despite usually disagreeing with the perception of the Sonic franchise, I can see where you're coming from about the timing of All-Stars Racing and the boost incorporating wider SEGA characters gave it. I've said this many times before, but my Sonic views are so different from the crowd that I'm probably the worst person to pass judgement.

Case in point (and I guess another unpopular opinion for the list)... Sonic Mania was an average, uninspired rehash of 25-year-old gameplay, whereas Sonic Forces continued the brave tradition of modern 3D Sonic games being innovative. If I want to play a 2D Sonic game, I've got half a dozen to choose from, but if I wanna create my own Sonic character, I can only go to Sonic Forces. It's why I've remained a fan of the franchise over the years; every major Sonic game (with the exceptions of Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Generations... that's three out of fourteen) has tried to change things and bring something new to the table. Whether they succeed or not is irrelevant; I respect them for not "doing a Nintendo" and just putting out the same old content every single time, only with slightly-tweaked controls and better graphics.

It's why I'll respect Team Sonic Racing, even if I personally hate the team-based mechanic for a kart racer. I think you're right, though; either at launch because of the negative previews, or as a free patch somewhere down the line, we'll see a "standard race" option for every track. We've got to.

@FullbringIchigo Sonic Boom (the show) is awesome. I love how tongue-in-cheek and fourth-wall-shattering they so frequently became. Also, I've never seen such perfectly-timed long pauses used so brilliantly in comedy before. I can't wait to see the second season, and hope they get a third.

Whilst I usually defend LEGO games, I'm only able to because I buy one every two-to-three years and stick to the franchises from which I'll get the jokes (Star Wars and DC mainly, with Indiana Jones and Jurassic World being exceptions). At that frequency and with that level of investment, they're wonderful platformers to switch off and enjoy, but I couldn't keep up with their standard release schedule and play two a year. If I tried, I fear that I'd be sharing your sentiments.

In an effort to make sure I still liked the big releases, I even avoided LEGO Dimensions, despite it featuring Sonic, Doctor Who and The LEGO Batman Movie content. I did buy the Sonic level pack, but only because I wanted the little Sonic minifigure (who is just adorable). Same as how I've gotten all of the Star Wars prequel-era Disney Infinity figures, yet never played the game.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic