Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 921 to 940 of 4,400

HallowMoonshadow

You know the kinda woman who's ready to head to work at 7am? Only to turn on the PS4 cus she's got nothing better to do and an hour later she's still on it, fighting the Nameless King for the twentieth and needs to be at work in twenty mintues?

The kinda woman who can't remember her own phone number but can remember the pokémon opening song despite she hasn't heard it in like eighteen years?

That's me... My Name Is E- Scotchy.

And I'm (re)watching My Name Is Earl

Untitled

I'm not terribly into a lot of american TV, but hell do I love this show (...Well the first two seasons at least, haven't seen the fourth (and final) season either).

Jason Lee is really something in the title role as Earl Hickey, a reformed criminal going through a list of all the bad things he's ever done due thanks to getting run over after winning $100,000, getting divorved from his cheating wife in his hospital bed and learning about Karma from the hospital tv while on a morphine drip.

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he surprisingly has a whole lotta heart form over the series.

Yeah he has done a whole lot of crap... Stealing a disabled woman's car (and fake leg), letting a friend take the fall for a crime he committed, strangling a foreign exchange student when he was a kid are just a few of the things he needs to right.

But he's ridiculously earnest about mending his ways and honestly quite surprised Jason Lee never got anything for his performance. Or at least some more roles in tv and film...

Ethan Suplee is also pretty good as Randy Hickey, Earl's dimmer brother who ventures with and helps him with the list. Though there's a bit of off writing in the third season that makes him thicker then two short planks...

Jaime Pressly meanwhile is a whole heap of fun as Joy Turner, Earl's ex wife. Yeah she's absolutely crazy and a terrible person. But I can't help but love her despite all of that and Jaime Pressly absolutely sells the role, She definitely desvered that Emmy win!

Not to mention Eddie Steeples as Darnell Turner (or Crabman) is a delight as the most intelligent of the bunch of misfits and Nadine Velazquez as Catalina, the maid at the motel who becomes friends with Earl and Randy, rounds off the group rathet well.

Plus there's some great side characters like Kenny James, the first person Earl helps, Patty the daytime... lady of the evening, Donny Jones, Earl's rather crazy friend.

There's also a whole bunch of cameos like Burt Renolds as Chubby Sr, Timothy Olyphant as Billy Creed, Beau Bridges as Earl and Randy's Dad plus Jon Favreau, a young Chloe Grace Mortez, Michael Peña, Sean Austin, John Leguizamo, Judy Greer and Christian Slater to name a few others

Yeah each episode may focus on one item on his list and obviously the framing of the show is Earl learning a lesson and the errors of his ways... But seeing as that's the whole point of the show with Earl bettering himself it doesn't feel as forced as it could be like in other tv programmes.

The first two seasons are great and I'd wholeheartedly reccomend people giving the show a try if they can.

Third season is rather iffy due to a change of circumstances at the end of the second season. It also took place as the writer's guild strikes happened ten years or so ago... Still doesn't excuse the writing taking a swan dive. The whole meta commentary on classic sitcoms isn't funny when you have to sit through like ten minutes of it each episode for like seven episodes...

I've heard the fourth season is much better and a return to form but... Never seen it and apparently Fox cancelled it on a cliffhanger of all things.

I'll catch it sometime soon... Pretty sure I said that last time I booted up my DVD's two years ago lol

Just thought I'd share what I was watching... I'm totally not working on a review for the Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance either 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Gremio108

I've not been watching much TV or film recently, but I finally managed to finish the latest season of Handmaid's Tale, which was superb as usual.

I've been countering this bleakness by watching Shaun the Sheep, series 2 and 3 of which are now on Netflix (where's series one??). I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Shaun the Sheep is one of mankind's greatest ever achievements. Bitzer the Dog's eternal struggle to balance the demands of his master with looking out for the farm animals is a metaphor for life itself.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

Starting watching The Boys. Great stuff so far, think they have the tone pretty much spot to the source material.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Shaun is great, but he's got nothing on Pingu.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

I watched the 3 episode mini series Criminal (UK) yesterday. Still mulling bits of it over, but mostly it's like a series of really disappointing Law & Order episodes without the meat of the police or court procedural dressings.

I think we're meant to not guess glaringly obvious 'twists' and be very convinced that the writers are incredibly clever. Unfortunately, the crimes and indeed, characters - are rote at best and the pace and construction of each episode leaves nothing to get invested in.

There are some nice performances - and perhaps we're meant to fawn over those rather than the content, but the format is a really weak concept. Felt like the entire thing was largely pointless by the time I'd finished.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

Anyone watch the Between Two Ferns YouTube series? Now there's a movie of it.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Gremio108

@RogerRoger A Pingu/Shaun the Sheep crossover would be quite something, but geographically I guess it would be a bit of a stretch...

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Shaun would have to go see Pingu. His wooly coat would keep him warm, whereas I think Pingu would be quite uncomfortable in a sunny field.

And let's be fair, the more outlandish storylines of Shaun could see him get a plane ticket and travel overseas far more believably than Pingu somehow getting to the UK. Because narrative consistency is crucial to these kinds of shows.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Ha, I love the way I'm fine with Shaun the Sheep driving cars around and stuff like that, but when we mention him going to the pole I'm like "Hmm that's a bit of a stretch"

RogerRoger

@Gremio108

Hey, didn't Wallace & Gromit go into space? In a homemade rocket?

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I think you've cracked it here. A crossover between every claymation series ever. Wallace and Gromit want to take Shaun to space, but the ship crashes in the Antarctic and they have to team up with Morph to get home.

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 ...and the route they take is via the castle from Trap Door.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Oh golly, you just brought waves of nostalgia on me by mentioning Trap Door!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Oddly enough, I never liked Trap Door as a kid. Too scary.

Was more of a Wacky Races kinda kid. They'd show one every morning at a perfect window in my getting-ready-for-school routine.

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Wackey Races was pretty darn awesome @RogerRoger

Though it didn't have an awesomely catchy theme song as...

Untitled

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I think I was a bit older than you when it was one so was out of my scaredy pants stage by then!

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Quicker than the human eye!

@JohnnyShoulder What do you mean, out of your scaredy-pants stage? I'm still in mine!

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I have the entire series on DVD alongside Wacky Races @RogerRoger

I was also quite partial to the Banana Splits... Not to mention Boss Top Cat and Scooby Doo where are you? which I also have on DVD

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @RogerRoger Did you guys use to watch Captain Caveman? Loved that show although it was a similar to a sccoby doo in setup iirc.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic