Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 901 to 920 of 4,447

JohnnyShoulder

Watching Dark Crystal on Netflix. Loved the film when I was a kid, really hope it turns out OK. Not sure what today's generation of kids will make of it all.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Just watched the first Epsiode of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance after having rewatched the film earlier.

That was pretty darn good! That speech at the end by Simon Pegg (The Chamberlain) about the Skeksis was really well done! I knew he was good actor but he's good as a voice actor too, no half measures or anything!

I love the fact it's still mostly puppetry with only CGI for establishing backdrops and such. Plus the gelfling actually look pretty good in this, not a bit uncanny valley and off like they do in the film.

Really looking forward to watching the rest!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Glad you enjoyed it too! I think half the fun is trying to guess who is doing the voices. Love Mark Hamill in this!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @JohnnyShoulder

Quite shamefully, me and my partner watched all of it at the weekend

It is wonderfully done!

I'm also in the season 4 of Preacher, which I really didn't think would remain as entertaining as it has!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Good to know, cheers!

Think I've got Season 3 of Preacher to go aswell. Not had Prime for awhile, but will get in it soon as I'm itching to see The Boys.

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 I should think that there's enough scope to get at least another season out of TDC at least if it's received well enough - and I'm yet to see anyone I know say they didn't like it - and we're the target demographic without doubt!

@JohnnyShoulder I'm quite surprised with Preacher. I really thought it might run out of steam or stray from some of the comic's wackier bits - but, it's doing very well.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 Dark Crystal is very much one of those films people grew up with on video. As a technical and artistic undertaking, Age of Resistance really is superb. I think it'll do well enough. Probably well enough for adaptation of the follow up Labyrinth comics.

I think season 4 of Preacher is going to wrap it up yeah. More of the comic storyline shows up later after season 1 - which I think was a bit of a 'proof of concept' in way to open up the audience to how 'blasphemous' the rest would be.

HallowMoonshadow

He's so fudging good as the scientist @JohnnyShoulder . Doesn't sound too different from his Joker voice, but it works

As LN78 said @KALofKRYPTON , nothing wrong with a viewing binge! It's what I'm gonna do when I get home from work!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 The casting is pretty spot on - absolutely no complaints from me. The quality of accents especially from such a regionally not-American cast is superb!
Yeah, no studio really wanted to touch it back then - not surprising given how very religious most of America seems to be.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy have fun! I haven't watched the making of documentary at the end, saving that . That's spoilered as it's pretty common internet knowledge, but people who don't frequent entertainment sites/haven't looked through the Netflix listing may not be aware of it. Nice surprise i thought.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Give Preacher another go, I wasn't keen at first but it soon won me over. The second season has more stuff from the comic books in there. The cast is spot on.

I'm also watching Titans on Netflix. It feels very un-DC in some parts with some supernatural elements and more Marvel type super heroes. Which is a bit weird at first. It can also be quite violent in places and is not afraid to show a bit of blood and gore when the needs arise. Which is a good thing in my book.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Same here with Prime, I will probs go for it once I've finished Legion and my current NOW TV sub expires next month. The one day delivery thing is good and all but I know some people rely it far too much, and some of the couriers they use are a bit unreliable on weekends.

HallowMoonshadow

Just got to the end of Episode 4 of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

... Yeah I'm f£#@$&g loving this! That entire sequence with the Hunter at the end is so darn cool! Suprised he's voiced by that Yorkshire bloke who voices the Dacia car adverts

I know the film is pretty dark at times, but the fact the series keeps comes up saying it's only a PG at the beginning feels a bit wrong. There's some pretty dark events in this! Like the end of episode 2 with the peeper beatle and The Scientist!

It almost feels like Game Of Thrones but with puppets!

... Also Deet is adorkable. Just had to add that lol

Tjuz

@JohnnyShoulder Have you watched Doom Patrol? It's another one of DC Universe's shows, and I thought it was very entertaining. Great characters, constantly inventive with it's structure and some really good acting to boot, especially from Diane Guerrero. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. I haven't seen Titans personally, but judging from what I've seen in promo material Doom Patrol has a darker tone however.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@Tjuz I heard people mention that but have never checked it out, but will do now. Cheers!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy The film was always something that freaked me out a bit when I saw it as a kid. I wonder what kids these days make of it, would they be able to get past the puppets being mainly brought up on cgi and animation?

KALofKRYPTON

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy
Not sure if you're there yet, but a particular bit of dialogue from Deet had me and the Mrs actually laughing: Seladon (I think): "When was the last time you washed your hands?" Deet: "Why would I 'wash' my hands." It was a just really nice, character appropriate moment that could easily have been left out.

@Tjuz Titans is pretty far from being great. It's difficult to recommend and it's certainly an inferior show to Doom Patrol. I'm hoping the second season matures a bit - because the first is journeyman-like 'gritty' and extremely adolescent in the scripting. DP is darker in the general themes of the show as a whole, and wears those themes very well - but Titans never wants you to forget that it's 'not for kids'.

I hear really good things about Swamp Thing too.

@JohnnyShoulder For my money, it'll very much depend on the kid. If they have parents who grew up loving The Dark Crystal, I'd say they're going to be a lot more open to the show in general concept as well as production style.

HallowMoonshadow

I got to the end of Episode six last night @KALofKRYPTON so I had seen that bit! (Episode 5 i think) I definitely chuckled at that part! 😁

That's a very good point @JohnnyShoulder .

Considering that some of the reviews (like the guardian one) couldn't get past that it was puppets cus thier feet didn't touch the ground and saying that the fight was ridiculous.

I hope actual children can get some wonder then that moody git couldn't lol

KALofKRYPTON

Daniel Henney cast as Lan in The Wheel of Time Amazon series! I can totally see it!

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON That's honestly what I expected Titans to be like judging from all the promotional material. A step up from the CW superheroes, but still nowhere near "prestige" television. I hope that for people who are following the show it will follow in the footsteps of Doom Patrol a little in it's sophomore season. I've heard great things about Swamp Thing too and was initially interested. It's a shame about that whole funding fiasco resulting in it's immediate cancellation and episode count being cut short.

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

Urgh, saw more of the Wheel of Time casting... #diversitythatmakesnosense

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic