Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 4,391

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD @Frigate Only seen the first and part of the second episode so far, but yeah it is great stuff. I know a few people that really didn't like the 2nd season, but enjoyed it. Admittedly not as good as the first season, but still one of my fave tv shows recently.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD @Frigate I’m one of those that was pretty underwhelmed by Stranger Things Season 2. I never did finish it. I think I made it about 4 or 5 episodes in and I can’t seem to make myself go back and watch it. Maybe hearing that Season 3 is engaging will motivate me to go back to it, but I don’t know.... I really like season 1 but it seems to have been a one-off hit. It seems like the story is going nowhere and doesn’t formulate any desire in me to see what happens. The kids are no longer charming or relatable, and the novelty has completely worn off. Also, I have a hard time staying motivated to watch a series that has no end. The pattern of beating a successful idea until it’s dead and jumped the shark, only to then wrap it up to a hasty conclusion is so off-putting. I want a show that has a beginning and an end and knows where it’s going and won’t drag things out for ratings.

Oh my... I really want off on a rant there. Sorry.

On a related Netflix note, anyone know how much longer the Marvel shows will be available on Netflix or if they will be pulled when Disney starts their streaming service? I’m vaguely interested in watching some of them (if Jessica Jones 3 has an actual planned conclusion this season 😌)

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

Enjoying Stranger Things Season 3 as well. So far it's been better than Season 2.

Btw, does that one Russian guy remind you of the Terminator? lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution A couple of people have said something similar to season 2, I don't quite understand that though as there had only been 2 seasons. I would understand it more if their had been more seasons, I didn't get the feeling they were flogging a dead horse by that point. The pace did suffer a bit near the half way point in season 2, but did improve in the later episodes. I find most tv shows in recent times are like that though and sometimes you just have to get through those episodes. I think the bar was set so high for season 1 peoples expectations were sky high.

In regards to the marvel shows on Netflix, I've not seen anything if they will be staying or not. From what I've read season 3 of JJ concludes the series in the right way.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder I do admit I’m being hasty in my opinion of the Stranger Things second season. And I should clarify — although I did feel the show dragged a little in the middle episodes, I was really speaking more in general terms about TV shows and their tendency to drag things out. I’ve all but given up on these long TV series because they seem to be eternal; perpetually extending plot until the show is no longer profitable. At least that’s what it seems. Perhaps I was spoiled by Breaking Bad and it’s well delivered conclusion, and ruined by The Walking Dead and it’s never ending slog where the main plot never goes anywhere and as soon as one storyline seems to be concluding they just add more characters, another love interest, a new random baddie, or kill off some character because the actor is sick of it all and just wants to move on.
I’m more inclined to stay interested if I know the writers and directors have a clear vision of a story they want to tell. I didn’t get that impression after watching ST2, despite ST1 feeling very much like a tight narrative that had vision and direction. Someone was trying to sell me on the show Supernatural, and I would say that if a show hasn’t reached a conclusion after 13 seasons, I just simply don’t have the emotional energy nor the time to invest in that. Hopefully I’m wrong about Stranger Things, and I probably am being too hasty, as I said. Because for the simple fact that the kids are growing up, they’ll be unlikely to drag out the story for 13 seasons. If we’re still watching the shenanigans of Mike, Lucas, Dustin and company when they’re 30 years old, I don’t think that will be keeping any fans. My hope would be that Season 3 is the end and plot lines are tied up, but the show is just too popular so I’m sure we’ll get a Season 4.
It’s why I respect (although haven’t watched yet) Game of Thrones. Even though GRR Martin could have kept the script going perpetually given it’s popularity, he chose to have an end, and ultimately that will usually make for a more solid bit of storytelling.

And therein lies my hesitation for the Marvel TV shows - I have been waiting to see if they have an actual meaningful creative direction to the narrative and now knowing JJ3 is the end of it all, I feel more inclined to try them.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@KratosMD I definitely see what you’re saying and I admit that I’m in the minority. And that’s absolutely true that a show with an ending doesn’t inherently make it good. Truth be told, I’m pretty sure that I have a weird quirk with TV shows, because as you say, obviously loads of people adore these long running shows. I don’t mind a sit-com or serial drama to keep going endlessly if it fits the setting and theme. For example, Supernatural probably makes sense because it’s those two dudes investigating paranormal phenomenon, or whatever (my ignorance of the material is clear 😛) but in a show with a central mystery, I like it when we get the satisfaction of getting an answer to what the heck is going on without just endlessly shrouding it in more mystery.
There was a time when I felt like I could pour 1000 hours into a TV series, but I think either I’ve changed, or social media and the internet is ruining my attention span. 😂 That being said, I will try a show with a lot of seasons or one that is ongoing with no end in sight if it piques my interest. Like the aforementioned ST, Supernatural, TWD as well as Ozark, Riverdale, Daredevil, Better Call Saul, Arrow, Once Upon a Time... I’ve yet to find one that I enjoyed as much as BB, and in my mind I attribute the well-crafted ending to its emotional impact on me. But I’ll keep trying. I’ll eventually watch the rest of ST2 and ST3, and probably Jessica Jones, The Umbrella Academy, Lost in Space, Travelers, The Magicians, Punisher, Defenders, Frontier, The Crown .... who am I kidding? I’ll be lucky to watch 10% of what’s in my Netflix list. 😅

Edited on by Th3solution

Th3solution

@KratosMD Good to know. I’ll move it up the list. I probably need to put Stranger Things above it, but my list is so long I need to prioritize. I have a ton of documentaries and some movies mixed in there too, and it’s pretty overwhelming. That’s why when I pull up Netflix, I usually just shut it back down and put on an old movie instead. All the shows make my brain hurt.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution I'll second what @KratosMD said about Lost in Space, brilliant tv.

I tend to only watch stuff I know I will finish and only start something new when I've finished a season or whenever I'm ready to move on, and that tends to be only a handful of shows at a time. Much like my attitude towards gaming, I'll usually watch what I'm in the mood for. I have loads on my list too, but I don't let it bother me or anything as they are only tv shows after all.

RR529

I too finished up Stranger Things season 3 (Netflix original).

Absolutely fantastic. There are very few western live action dramas that I absolutely love, but ST is one of those few. Most western dramas are so serious all the time, but ST remindes me a lot of an anime in terms of how it handles itself. It can absolutely be serious & gritty when it needs to be, but it never forgets to have fun & explore the smaller moments.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

The Witcher teaser is already out and looks pretty good actually. This is coming from someone who hasn't played the games so I don't know what do fans think about it.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet I think it looks awful lol. Don't like Cahill as Geralt at all, think he has been totally miss cast. Probably watch it at some point, but not really high on my watch list.

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder Haha, I thought he would lose weight or in this case some muscle mass for the role but he still has his Superman body. As for casting, it doesn't bother me that much but that's because I don't play the games or read the books. So I'll be watching it without comparing it to the source materials.

FullbringIchigo

hey anyone see this?

well that was unexpected

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Yeah I'm just seeing Superman in a wig lol.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD No worries, glad you are enjoying it! A couple people in work couldn't watch all of it cos they found it too scary! But I love the feeling of being scared from watching tv and films. There are couple of episodes which will stay with me for a long time. One for the scares and another for the film making! It does a good job pretty much all the way through I found, but two episodes in particular stood out for me.

HallowMoonshadow

Having reached the 69th episode and being only two episodes behind from the live broadcast I'd just like to say my praise of The Twitch/Youtube show Critical Role (Not a tv show I know but all the Youtube threads like died the moment they were made and y'know digital future 'n' all that junk... totally not making excuses )

For those unaware Critical Role is a long format (3 hour+ long episodes), old school style D&D game/role play/improv with dice, mini's, tile sets and cameras (Though you can also get it as a podcast if you like)

Specifically I've been watching the ongoing Second Campaign with the Cast/Characters being:

Liam O'Brien as Caleb Widowgast: A Human wizard with a love of reading, having a photographic memory and very little regard for his personal grooming. He has a magical familiar called Frumpkin, a Fey spirit usually in the form of a cat.

Sam Reigel as Nott the Brave: A young, skittish, goblin rogue who's a bit of a kleptomaniac and has an alcohol addiction. She wears a half-mask, heavy cloak and wrappings to disguise herself from everyone except her close and trusted companion of Caleb.

Laura Bailey as Jester Lavorre: A blue skinned Tiefling who's the cleric of the group. Hailing from a country to the south she follows The Traveller, a mysterious deity of trickery and chaos.

Travis Willingham as Fjord: A half Orc Warlock who's former sailor. He found himself acquiring strange magical powers linked to a falchion he now carries and is travelling to find his former mentor... meeting with Jester and later on Beau.

Marisha Ray as Beauregard: A surly, obnoxious, cynical Human monk who is quick to snark. A self-professed jerkass with an amoral streak, having dropped out of training at the Cobalt Reserve and met up with Fjord and Jester. (Personally my least favourote character)

Taliesin Jaffe as Mollymauk "Molly" Tealeaf: A bright and colourful purple skinned Tiefling who is part of a travelling circus. Being a charismatic and suave showman with a knack for fortune telling and gifted with dual blades.

Ashley Johnson as Yasha Nydoorin: A stotic and deadpan Barbarian who's head of security for the travelling circus. She hails from the country to the east known as Xhorhas which is home to all sorts of beasts and creatures.

And Matthew Mercer as the Dungeon Master: Order & Chaos. Cruel but kind. Controlling all the NPC's from simple tavern owners to swashbuckling pirates.

Mercer leads the group (The Mighty Nein they're eventually called) through the world of Exandria with immense detail and all manners of plotlines and threads for them to follow or go after.

Ashley Burch (The VA of Aloy in Horizon Zero Dawn) and Khary Payton (King Ezekiel in The Walking Dead) have guest starred as temporary team members amongst others.

And yeah... It's eight nerdy voice actors and good friends playing D&D, expect all kinds of crazy shenanigans & laughs a plenty, dramatic turns and emotional scenes where the dice, actions and words shape the story!

... I've watched over 210 hours of this stuff. Probably longer then any TV show or series out there (Baring the Simpsons and Eastenders or something 😅) with more on the way.

Of course you can watch the first campaign they did (which is on a different continent and set twenty years earlier) but that's a lot rougher round the edges as they were just starting out, a bit harder to get into as well as they started halfway through the campaign they were playing in thier spare time... Still that's available and complete to watch with 115 Episodes to it!

For improv and all it's extremely impressive how they keep this going, especially Matt, week after week. With my love of gaming and my only really creative outlet being writing I think it's pretty good, especially with them supporting creative writing charities amongst other things.

And yeah... Just figured I'd share in case anyone was interested and didn't know of it before. Definitely not for everyone though!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD IIRC the two episodes I was on about before were 5 (scares) and 6 (filmmaking)!

kyleforrester87

I have had a folk horror buzz on since seeing the awesome Midsommar so I watched the original Wicker Man again on Saturday, haven’t seen it for many years - still a good film.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic