Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 721 to 740 of 4,463

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Thank you for taking the time to explain, no wonder you were glad they didn't go down that route. That is a pretty bad stereotype, glad the writers saw sense in the end.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Anytime; thanks for actually reading my wall of rant.

And glad it's not just me!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JJ2

@KALofKRYPTON
I love time travel related shows/ movies.
Really like 12 monkeys but for some obscure reason, the last season isn't available in the UK.
I think the source code is the only one (that I know of) that does time travel right. I'd love to see a TV show based on it.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

KALofKRYPTON

@JJ2 I don't think it's actually finished yet is it?

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Can we use time travel and find out?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JJ2

@KALofKRYPTON
Season 4 released in the US around Summer last year. Theres only 3 season in the UK.

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

KALofKRYPTON

@JJ2 Ah cool! I quite liked it in the end. Hopefully Netflix pick it up again.

I'd be interested to see more Travelers too - though the ending to the last season was satisfying enough to round things out. I find a big problem with the a lot of shows are structured, is that they usually aren't designed to have a specific run with a defined end point. If it does well, it just keeps going until cancellation.

@JohnnyShoulder We already have, you just haven't done it yet...

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JJ2

@Frigate
I tried to watch but couldn't get into it. There are bad movies with some interesting ideas in them. Like in Loopers, it's mind blowing that they have to kill their future self and make you think. There r also great movies like twelve monkeys that make me want the scream a the notion that time is a loop you can't break because I find it so silly. The mere concept of time travel already changes things as a matter of fact. I prefer when they embrace paradoxes for the fun of it. The more logical approach would be the concept of opening a different dimension where nothing you do affects the dimension you came from.

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Mind Blown!

Also thanks for your thoughts on season 2 of The Punisher. That is disappointing to hear that, as I'm quite enjoying season 1 so far. Just saw the episode when the take the arrow, which was quite gruesome. Feels like most of the players have shown their cards now.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder I'm still pushing through it. It starts comparatively well to the second quarter of episodes - seems to be gathering speed again now.

Some of the violence this time is even more graphic, which I have no issue with.

JJ2

@KALofKRYPTON
I mean I live in the UK but if you Google it its been out on Amazon US for a while but unavaible in amazon UK. Weird

FullbringIchigo

@JJ2 it's not that weird really, i know it's not the same show but for example i'm a huge NCIS fan but the UK DVD releases are 2 seasons behind the U.S ones even though we used to get them only a few months after but for some reason they just stopped for a bit i don't know why but it could be anything from License issues to them just not giving a damn about the region

as another example the UK never got Star Wars the Clone Wars season 6 (lost missions) even though all other regions did

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@JohnnyShoulder you know i love how everyone blames Netflix but forgets that Disney/Marvel was also involved in the decision

still like you said it's not surprising and i'll be honest i wasn't a big fan of the Netflix series anyway

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@FullbringIchigo I've enjoyed what I've watched so far, but I've still got the final seasons of everything to watch. Not sure if they will stay on Netflix that long though.

RogerRoger

I think Netflix is going through a bit of a transition at the moment anyway. They seem to be shedding some of what made them popular to begin with, and shifting more towards reading the landscape of what's broadly liked / loved and wanting to be part of it. They're heavily promoting streaming rights acquisitions (Titans, Star Trek: Discovery) and "saving" cancelled shows (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Designated Survivor) just as much as they're talking about their own original creations.

Which is good, because the final season of House of Cards was appalling.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I really wonder about how Netflix is doing and what their business plan is going forward. They must be making money hand-over-fist because there is hardly a person I know, either in person or online who doesn’t seem to have a subscription. It’s the closest thing to a monopoly that we have in entertainment. However, the enormous volume of Netflix original content they create certainly can’t be cheap to produce, so I have to give them props for investing in their product. There does seem to be more and more recent movie releases that make a showing as well, although the overall movie library appears to not be as much a focus as it was early on. With Disney+ streaming service coming out this year, I wonder how Netflix will respond. And how does Netflix attempt to show business growth as surely they have maxed out their potential. Is there still a target audience that doesn’t already subscribe? Maybe the 65 and older demographic, but good luck trying to capture the senior population and getting them to stream. I guess we’ll know if they start carrying old TV series like Gunsmoke and I Love Lucy. 😅
The Netflix original content seems pretty good usually, but lately it seems to be getting pretty bizarre and honestly there is almost too much of it for me to even bother keeping up. I know I’m in the minority since I usually choose playing a video game over watching TV, but still I have an inkling that Netflix is on the verge of a slight dip in profits over the next couple years.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution I don't think they've maxed out their potential yet.

We will grow older, while young people will grow up on Netflix. So, I think that overtime there still is a lot of potential, if they are able to keep attracting young and old.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Netflix, the same way that I don't like Game Pass or Spotify. But I can't deny that they have had some Originals that were clearly put of this world good.

The last year released Wild Wild Country; it's amazing.

Also, I hate that they cancelled The Punisher. Love that character.

Kidfried

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger In fairness to House of Cards, they were dealt a bad hand (Boom Boom!). I'm not really sure how they could have done better in the time they'd given themselves.

@Th3solution I'd say of their original content that for every three duds, they get a banger. Which for any network is probably quite sustainable. Certainly as the relatively captive audience vs costs associated with a cinema release targeted to reach the same sort of numbers is a no brainer for film releases.

I think Netflix strikes a nice balance of original and bought in content, and it's cheap , and they got in early. i know very few people (IRL) who bother with Amazon Prime beyond the shipping benefits - and every new one that rears up just gets met with rolled eyes when it's another very specific streaming service (here's looking at you DC/Disney/CBS).

Cinema is in more danger than Netflix I think.

Kidfried

@Frigate My age is the average of those two, if you'd like to know.

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic