Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 601 to 620 of 4,463

Ralizah

Watched Dr. Who the other day. I'm... not sold on Jodie Whittaker as the doctor. Maybe she'll grow on me like Matt Smith did, and I'll probably keep watching, but I'm not thrilled with the casting choice so far.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

Saw the first episode of the new series of The Walking Dead. The last few series have been rubbish, but the writing, tone and pacing of this was a vast improvement, and seems to be returning to fundamentals. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON I'm not at all familiar with comic books, so maybe that helped my enjoyment with the show even if it completely misrepresented the source material. I thought it was miles better than The Flash. Do try out Crazy Ex-Girlfriend if you're a fan of comedy shows and/or musicals! It's a lot of fun.

Tjuz

WanderingBullet

Netflix has cancelled Iron Fist after two seasons.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RR529

Troy: Fall of a City (Netflix Original) - Sword & sandal miniseries that chronicles the fall of Troy with some light fantasy elements sprinkled in. It's not must watch, but if you like sword & sandal stuff it's worth a look.

On a side note, I just got a new smart TV for my own personal use, and provided it holds up (it's a budget set), I should be able to watch Netflix & the like more often (maybe even enough to follow 2 shows at once!). It's worked pretty great so far.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

Saw the first two episodes of The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. It was.... only ok. It is quite slow paced and the scary moments that did happen I did not find that scary. And I'm not sure if I care about any if the characters that much. One of the family dies, becasue she has not been developed as a character it had no impact for me. Not sure if I will carry on watching at the moment as I have other stuff that I'm more keen to finish or start watching before.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

@beemo Yeah, I really like Colleen Wing. Danny Rand was so whiny especially during Iron Fist S1 and The Defenders it's was very hard for me to like him. At one point, I actually said out loud, "You know what Danny, talk to the hand!" because he was saying The Hand and K'un-Lun a lot.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

KALofKRYPTON

@beemo @WanderingBullet
It is a shame. I guess the ratings didn't improve after the general dislike of S1.

Episode 2 of new Doctor Who was alright. Essentially a 'get to know the Doctor' filler episode; that said, for something written by Chris Chibnall himself - it was more than good enough and he only included 3 pretty loose countdown situations and not a huge amount of running.

The new TARDIS interior unfortunately looks like a GCSE art project on extrapolations of beehives though, which is a shame. The entrance and doors look great, then...

Also, next episode - 'Operation Rosa Parks' genuinely made me grimace. Call me a cynic and all that...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

@Tjuz @KALofKRYPTON I liked the first season of Flash and thought the second season was not bad but DC's tv series for the most part never really do it for me. Shows like Arrow, Super Girl, Legends of Tomorrow and Gotham, all of them I stop watching roughly around midway through their first season. I did however watch a few episodes of Arrows here and there (of different seasons) whenever there's nothing good on but still could never really get into it. Arrow for me is like a poor man's version of Batman.:/

As for the Flash, I stopped watching Flash midway through season three since the series became very predictable. Villain shows up, villain escapes, the guys at the lab come up with a solution to help Barry defeat the villain. Basically, Barry's friends can create anything the plot requires. It's not just the Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and even Smallville - those heroes all had teammates that could hack into anything which serves as a get out of jail free card for the writers.

I guess Danny could still make cameo appearances in the other shows or if there is a second season of the Defenders.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

JohnnyShoulder

I just got 3 months free of Netflix from Sony for being a ps+ member. I know this was happening in the USA, has anyone else outside the States got this?

What is even better is that I'm currently in the middle of 4 months free of Netflix from my phone contract. So I'm full paid up until the end of May! 🤗

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder I’ve watched all of the episodes of The Haunting Of Hill House and absolutely loved it, totally invested in all the characters and their various arcs. Have you managed to watch the rest of it? I know it’s all subjective, but I personally really enjoy the slow burn/world building approach, and I think this show does a phenomenal job in it’s story telling. If you’ve the desire to stick with it and watch all the episodes, everything and everyone gets crossed referenced and explained, whilst also leaving just enough ambiguity to engage the imagination. I felt anxious and fearful, as well as joyful and saddened by some story arcs. I mean, seriously sad....I balled my eyes out at some parts 😭. I really can’t praise the show enough. Amazing experience 👍

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia Not watched any more, but have read a review which said the second half ramps up then tension and scares. My mate in watched the first episode and said he was proper spooked by it! So either he is a right wimp or I'm pretty hardcore lol.

It has defo jumped up my watch list from 'maybe when I've watched everything else to 'must watch after the next season I've finished'. Which will be pretty soon. I'm always willing to stick with stuff that doesn't immediately click.

Glad you enjoyed it, sounds really promising!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder As far as the storytelling goes, what’s impressed me the most is how it weaves the modern day events to those in the past, when the family lived in Hill House, jumping back and forth to give context. And like I said, because I was totally invested in the story and felt empathy with all the main characters, plus I’m a big softy, I found parts to be really emotional. First ☹️, then 😢 with 😥, followed by 😭😭😭. Hopefully you’ll like it too...let me know ☺️

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

KALofKRYPTON

Luke Cage cancelled at Netflix now too... 😒

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON All these MCU Netflix cancellations just make me grateful Jessica Jones lived to fight another day, even if season 2 wasn't all that great.

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz Luke Cage season 2 was great too.

I think this may be the start of Disney pulling everything for their own streaming service.

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Yep I agree. Hopefully it's not sign of other studios and tv networks doing something similar.

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON I can't say I've seen Luke Cage. I didn't really have any interest in doing so after his character not really clicking with me in Jessica Jones. Good to hear it was a great show though, and it's definitely sad for all the MCU Netflix fans that these shows seem like they're being cancelled in a haste! I hope Jessica Jones doesn't become the next victim, but after these two shows being cancelled I can't see it not being cancelled after season 3.

Tjuz

Victor_Meldrew

Id be happy with just Jessica Jones, the rest are just okay/good, JJ Season 1 had the best writing.

Victor_Meldrew

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic