Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 581 to 600 of 4,401

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Captain Scarlet really is brilliant! Even the updated one was actually pretty good.

Joe90 really only only works from a child's point of view I think. UFO is good, I think it came before Space: 1999 - but again, the sets, props and costuming are great.
The full size cars, as I recall, do look a lot like what's seen in the puppet shows.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON It was (mostly) always about the vehicles in a Gerry Anderson show. The designs were just amazing. I had toys of Stingray, all the Thunderbirds, the SPV from Captain Scarlet... all were awesome. Mum even made the Blue Peter version of Tracy Island for us. Never got any of the ships from Space: 1999 (if they even made them) because I'd already gotten hooked on Star Trek and so was grabbing every Micro Machine I could get my tiny hands on.

Didn't see the updated Captain Scarlet but did try watching the new CGI-on-model-sets Thunderbirds show the other day (it's on my partner's Amazon Prime). I could watch it if there was literally nothing else to do. Best part was the opening credits, which is probably true of the old show as well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Yeah, the model stuff in the new TB is really impressive - the show itself, not so much (and y'know, why would you do THAT to TB2?!).

A car from UFO:
Untitled

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON So very, very "this is what the future will look like, except it totally won't but you wouldn't believe it if our sci-fi show was populated by Ford Mondeos".

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger You'd not want you take a knock to the shins would you?!

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON It certainly gives Roger Moore's Lotus Esprit a run for her money!

Ah, the seventies... wait, I was born in 1987, what the heck am I saying?!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Perhaps - not quite the copper one from FYEO though - that had bonus skis for impaling!

KALofKRYPTON

So Lobo for the Krypton show.

Nope.

Nopiddy, nopiddy nope nope nope.

Can someone call Alice Cooper? Rob Zombie's found his way out of his box again...
Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

Doctor Who.

It was fine. It's new Who, it never really changes all that much.

JW was alright, but as I've noted elsewhere with BBC productions that are keen on regional accents - they still direct everyone to be a little bit clipped in their delivery which serves to make people sound like they're working through ellocution exercises; the new Doctor included.

I like her so far, it's a bit 11 via 9 & 10 - but again, new Who comes with being much of a muchness in lots of ways - I'm interested to see how she goes forward - the opening was strong enough and a search for the TARDIS is a nice thread to pull.

The 'monster' of the week was nicely designed, the 'teeth' thing will no doubt strike a suitably uncomfortable cord for many.

I do feel like the supporting cast is already too large though; that does come with the benefit of it being very unlikely that any of the 3 companions is of incredible cosmic importance

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON

I can get on board with that. I think this'll look pretty good on-screen.
Untitled

Thrillho

I think it was @KALofKRYPTON who mentioned Final Space before. I’m glad they mentioned liking it as I was very indifferent after the first episode but the series was good fun in the end.

I still can’t quite believe David Tennant played the Lord Commander though!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@Thrillho Glad you enjoyed it! It's been renewed for a second season too 😁

Thrillho

Yeah, I saw that through the shows subreddit. I just can’t make my mind up if I like how the Gary is voiced or not as it can grate slightly but does make the character.

It’ll be interesting to see how they pick it up after that last episode though.

Thrillho

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON I think the hair looks very out of place. Almost like it’s photoshopped. Anyone else feel the same?

Jaz007

Tasuki

@KratosMD It still annoys me big time that you guys get Riverdale on Netflix while we here in the states have to deal with the trashy CW app. Which means I won't be able to see the new season of Riverdale till next summer

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 Obviously a wig, but it all looks like the sort of thing that will look better on film and in motion.

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the DC CW shows. I watched Arrow for the first 2.5 seasons, and from the sounds of it quit right before it got bad! I tried the first half of S1 of The Flash when it was just Arrow and Flash airing alongside each other and occasionally coinciding, but I really did not enjoy that show at all. Not good in the slightest. I tried Black Lightning when that came out, and it wasn't bad, but just not interesting enough to keep watching. That said, this Batwoman pic and costume actually looks fantastic? I'm honestly impressed. This is probably the best DC CW costume I've seen.

Also, speaking of CW shows. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is (miraculously) returning for it's 4th and final season on Friday. Do any of you watch and enjoy it? I absolutely love it. The musical numbers are hilarious and surprisingly catchy almost all of the time. Really good show. I'll be sad to see it end. I hope another musical show will take it's place!

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz Wow, you managed 2.5 whole seasons of Arrow?! it's awful, it was awful at the start and has never really improved. I watch the crossovers and catch up on big episodes now and then - but from the beginning it was painfully 'not Batman' and a pretty gross misrepresentation of Ollie.

I do quite like The Flash; the production is usually incredible, but they've spent 4 series giving Barry a pretty hard time.

Black Lightning is actually pretty good - despite Cress Williams being the oddest shaped bloke, and the suit being horrible

Never heard of Crazy Ex.

RogerRoger

@Tjuz I've never watched any of the DC shows, except Gotham (which exists in its own little bubble anyway) and now I'm at the stage where it's all just too complicated for me to start, so I'll have to wait until they're all finished and then binge the Blu-Rays for an entire year.

I'm both pleased that Batwoman is getting such a strong launch-pad from Arrow, because it's obviously a successful show and the crossovers are big news, but also disappointed because I'd love to watch Batwoman right away, yet will feel like I can't if they're constantly referencing stuff going on in Arrow / Flash / Legends of Tomorrow / Supergirl / Whatever Else I've Forgotten. I'm kinda hoping she leaves them all alone, or they leave her alone, but get the feeling they won't because she's gonna be a huge ratings draw for the other, less-popular superheroes.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Generally the crossover stuff is an independent story contrived to bring the heroes together. So other than previous associations, you wouldn't really be missing much - though I think Overgirl (SS Supergirl) is meant to show up again this time around, and - I'm guessing that they're setting Batwoman on Earth 38, which is where the CW Superman/Supergirl/generally anything alien takes place. There have been plenty references to the Bat family and locations across all of the shows, but I think it makes more sense to distance Batwoman from Green Arrow and The Flash and give Supergirl someone to bounce off of.

The core shows are very much become a little too similar to one another though. Probably a consequence of sharing production teams and the like.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic