Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 4,401

Tasuki

@BAMozzy The problem is with that dempgraph, regular over the air broadcast tv just isn't as popular as say when I was an 18 year old, because of so many alternatives now. Most of my co-workers around that age have the following tv shows viewing habits

1. Wait for the whole season to come to Netflix, DVD etc and binge watch
2. Other alternatives such as Youtube, Crackle Netflix Originals etc.
3. Other dubious methods which can't be mentioned here.

For those reasons alone networks tend to get lower ratings which doesn't necessary reflect how popular a series is nowadays. Take Family Guy for example during its initial run on Fox it didn't do to well and was cancelled, however due to DVD sales, it was popular enough for Fox to bring it back. The same example can be said for Futurama.

Also with other forms of entertainment such as video/PC gaming more of a mainstream thing now tv has some major competition now then it did say 20 years ago.

It's just times are changing and tv is starting to go the way of land line phones yet so much money goes into the TV industry that they are still clinging on. I wouldn't be surprised if in say 30 years tv networks become more like Netflix. Heck we cam see that now with their so called apps.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Rudy_Manchego

@BAMozzy Yeah - I think the X-Files was one of the first shows to really do both, which was to have an overall story arc but you could happily enjoy the series if you weren't into the mythology episodes (even though they became a little unwieldy by the end of the series).

With young kids, series like Elementary (which me and my wife both like) are really good because you can watch one and not feel like you have to watch the next when you are exhausted and both want to go to bed!

On a general note, one thing I like a lot about Netflix (and Amazon to a certain extent) is that they will tend to support shows or finance them to a conclusion rather than just drop. I think this was the case for Hemlock Grove as it has been rumoured it wasn't as popular as their other shows at the time but they still concluded the series.

I think this is because it is in their business model to support shows that have a fanbase because those fans will pay for the content and thus maintain subscriptions whereas networks have to think of advertisements and go as wide as possible with their target audience.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

Since they were added this week, I've started watching the newest seasons of Supergirl, the Flash, & Arrow on Netflix.

Supergirl - Not much to say so far, but I like that they officially introduced Superman, and it feels like they've somewhat improved the arial combat effects since last season.

The Flash - Too early to say much, but I'm enjoying it.

Arrow - Again, too early for any meaningful thoughts. Not sure how I feel about the two new villains, and it's too early to see if the new sidekicks grow on me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

SilentJ

@KratosMD I'm with you there. The new team never really grew on me. They just don't mesh well like the original team.

PSN ID : MrPink78

Tasuki

@KratosMD @SilentJ The only one I liked was Wild Dog and Ragman (or whatever his name was) Though Ragman I feel that they got rid of him too soon before they delved into his personality more.

I will say that this season of Arrow to me anyway was just meh. Last few seasons I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't wait for the next episode, this season I am finding it hard to keep going.

My Backlog

Tasuki

@KratosMD Yeah that was probably the last good season. I personally liked season 2 where Slade was the villain. The last two seasons though just seemed meh especially the villains. I am enjoying Flash and Legends alot more than Arrow these past few seasons.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Well finished this season of Arrow and man what a finale! I won't mention what happen here in case some of you guys still want to see it. But I will say it now has me wanting to see next season.

Now I am looking to finish up Flash, Legends, and my least favorite of the DC shows, Supergirl.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Well finished The Flash last night and wow what a ending. To be fair I enjoyed this season of The Flash more then Arrow and the ending didn't disappoint. Only thing though, as most season finals do it left me with alot of questions that more then likely will be answered next season but I don't want to wait that long. Can't wait now to watch Legends.

My Backlog

crippyd

@Tasuki I thought Flash was a great series and that ending certainly left some interesting questions for the next series.

crippyd

RR529

Supergirl season 2 (Netflix) - I thought the season started out strong (Introducing Superman, bringing the Luthor family in, and J'onn & Megan's storlyine was interesting), but floundered as it went on. The Luthors got sidelined for a less interesting end season villain, J'onn & Megan's storyline was cut too short, and they spent way too much time on the sister's relationship (when the only thing it contributed to the overall story is that they now have an insider in the police force). Also, James Olsen's story had (has) promise, but it largely felt like busy work this season to make him feel relevant. I did like the season finale though. It was also a big disappointment to find out the president wasn't a bad guy. that would have been pretty cool.

the Flash season 3 (Netflix) - Fantastic season. Some genuine mystery, great action, the best character relationships out of all these shows (once again, I actually got emotional in a few spots, which is something I generally don't do), and heck, I even liked the musical episode, lol.

Arrow season 5 (Netflix) - Everything came full circle this year, with a villain who's motives called back to season one, and the flashbacks finally finishing up his last year away, and while it could (and should) have been awesome, it was just kinda alright. Like others have said, the new team never did anything for me (maybe because they picked most of them off the street, with no previous relevance to the story), though like @Tasuki said, the season finale was pretty dope.

I also want to say that this year's big crossover event was insanely fun, and the best one yet.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Ghost in the Shell: Arise (Netflix) today.

Not as good as the original film, but still worth a look for anyone into the series, anime, or sci-fi in general. Only thing is, Netflix (US) only has the first 3 parts (not a huge deal, since each is it's own story, though they take place in chronological order, so I figured I should mention it). That, and while parts 1&2 are both Dub/Sub, part 3 is Sub only for some reason.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@KratosMD We knew that was going to happen regardless because of the paper Barry had in that room about Flash written by Iris.

As for me I finished Legends the other night and it's final didn't disappoint either. Loved Rory and the part he played in the end. I also really liked the universe the Legion of Doom created. The only thing I can't wait for next season now!!!

Now I just have Supergirl.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@KratosMD You also have to remember that the future can change - its just the path they were on will lead to one possible future but can be changed by a decision or circumstance. I won't spoil it for anyone else but once you know who 'Savitar' is, how he came to be and how this season ends, then you will understand what I mean. Savitar can't exist because Iris never dies

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

RR529

GLOW (Netflix Original) - Set in L.A. during the 80's, it sees a group of outcast women (the MC an aspiring actress out on her luck) coming together to take their chances on an upstart TV wrestling production known as the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW for short).

It's a drama-comedy by the same team behind Orange is the New Black, and while it's a bit crass (definitely a show for mature audiences), I thought it was a decent watch. There were some funny moments, it had a couple twists I didn't see coming, I appreciated the wrestling angle (since I grew up watching WCW & WWF/E), and I loved all the 80's music.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

BAMozzy

@KratosMD I quite enjoyed this season's Flash too. Arrow was a bit less enjoyable as I couldn't take to the new team as well and one of the more 'interesting' team members left quite early on. As for Felicity and 'Trust/Secrets', I can understand the dynamics having been in a 'similar' relationship - a relationship where she wanted to know 'everything', no secrets, but wasn't prepared to be as 'open' in return. That being said, they were no longer in a relationship and to a degree, she learned from Arrow about certain 'behaviour' like getting results by any means necessary. I won't spoil the season or use spoilers as I have no idea how far into it you are. Maybe revisit this when you have watched the season....

I don't have an issue with her myself but maybe that's because I have seen all the series to date - but I won't say any more on it. I do understand her reasoning though and she has become a more complex character in the past few seasons.

I have only seen season 1 of 'Orange is the new Black' thanks to the Sony Channel on Sky but greatly enjoyed that. Hope more Netflix shows get released to 'broadcasting' channels on Sky. I still have the first season of Daredevil to watch as a 'Christmas' Present from Sky - a £15 gift to spend in the Sky store so I opted for Season 1 of Daredevil (HD) and got the DVD (who watches SD DVD's nowadays? LOL) as well.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

Castlevania comes to Netflix today. I can't wait to see it as I am a huge fan of the Castlevania series. The series is based off of Castlevania III from my understanding and is done anime style. I am hoping for the best as anime style of movies based on video games tend to be alot better, for example Street Fighter II and Fatal Fury.

Will post my thoughts after I watch it tonight.

My Backlog

RR529

Castlevania (Netflix Original) - The animation is pretty great, especially the action scenes (I especially liked the fights with the Cyclops & Alucard), and it's pretty unique as we don't often get western animation with such a serious/mature focus. There's tons of adult content in it as well. Buckets of blood, plenty of disembowelment, a few F-Bombs, and even a discussion about having sex with a goat. Not that it really bothers me personally, but I figured I should bring it up since I feel that it pushes past the "PG-13 vibe" the director said they were aiming for prior to release, and am not sure if such heavy handed gore is true to the games.

Storywise I felt it was okay (haven't really played the games, so it could be really true, or not), but by the end it really felt like set up for next year's season, which was a bit disappointing. The first episode was good as a general set up for the series, but afterwards I don't feel like it really picked up until episode 4, and then it was over and we have to wait for next year. Really, he spent more time fighting the Church than he did Dracula's forces this season

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@RR529 As someone who is very familiar with the games I can say this show is following it really well. It follows Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse and the opening scene with Lisa follows Symphony of the Night My only complaint now is I want more.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

mookysam

I enjoyed Castlevania, just a shame it wasn't longer. The last episode was great, especially the fight scenes. The animation is nicely done and the voice acting is generally good, but some of the accents are a bit dodgy.

I'm not sure what series to start next. Perhaps I'll continue with Better Call Saul. There's a new episode of Twin Peaks later but the last one really freaked me out! On the whole I've been a bit disappointed with the revival. It's lost some of the qualities of the original, which despite being weird was very character focused and the McGuffin provided a focus this is lacking. It's also a shame more of it isn't set in Twin Peaks. The original characters feel like they're just having a set of cameos. Hopefully it'll all come together!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic