Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,641 to 1,660 of 4,447

BearsEatBeets

The Office (US) and Parks & Rec are two of my favs. As others have said both take a few episodes to find their feet and dip off near the end but otherwise are great series. I have watched both many times as they are my comfort TV whenever I'm tired/ill/down. I used to prefer The Office but over time think Parks and Rec might be better. I agree with @Thrillho that it's greatly elevated once Ben and Chris join the show and it has such a high quality of characters played by a gifted cast. The outtakes for both series are brilliant.
I don't mind the mockumentary format but feel Parks and Rec handled it better than the Office which lent to much into it in the latter series. One great example of it (aside from Spinal Tap) is 'What we Do in the Shadows' film and subsequent TV series.

Which also reminds me, any Flight of the Conchords fans? Love that show and saw them live last year at the O2.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Thrillho

@BearsEatBeets I haven't seen any Flight of the Conchords for years but it really is great. The second series was a bit of a dip in quality but I'm glad they left it at just the two.

To see them live you either got in there very quickly and had a fair bit of cash to burn!

Thrillho

ralphdibny

I decided to catch up on the last few eps of Supergirl I missed in Season 5 and the last season of Legends of Tomorrow. I think Crisis on Infinite earths was kind of a good ending to the Arrowverse for me so I didn't have much enthusiasm to keep going.

But Supergirl had some brilliant episodes towards the end like Reality Bytes and Deus Lex Machina. I think Jon Cryer is legitimately one of the best Lex Luthor's that have been. It's a far cry from his role in Two and a half men and even his original Superman related role in superman 4 (I think). Also the previously on recap showed the Smallville and Superman Returns related scenes from Crisis which was an excellent way to start the episode!

Legends of tomorrow is fantastic as always (disregarding season 1). I'm glad the Constantine show is finally getting it's season 2 in the form of this season of Legends. I love the new opening sequence for it too!

See ya!

BearsEatBeets

@Thrillho I got them from the O2 site itself so paid ticket price. Not sure how quickly they sold but I had time to text with a mate if he wanted to go before buying them. Just found the ticket it was £45, it probably helped it was on a Tuesday. Also discovered it was 2018 not last year, time flies!

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I’m loving season 1 of Legends of Tomorrow to be honest, the worst one out of what I’m watching atm is Arrow Season 4 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett oh nice are you going full on superlegendsconstanbatwomanflarrowvixenverse then? Season 4 is the Damien dark one isn't it? Have they introduced Kurt, Dinah, Renee and Rory yet? I think this season had the first Constantine crossover, might be worth watching the Constantine series in preparation for the crossover if you haven't already as the storyline gets picked up in later arrow related shows. I think it's only 10 or 13 episodes and I thought it was rather good!

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny Yep, at the moment it’s Arrow season 4, The Flash season 2 and the first season of both Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl. Arrow has been a bit rubbish this season, they introduced Damien Darhk far too early and Felicity barely resembles her former self as they seem to have forgotten how to write for her. The Flash is excellent but it was last season as well. Supergirl is decent but it’s a bit lighter than the other series which suits it but means it lacks a bit of punch. Legends has been really fun, it’s great seeing characters from different shows get their time to shine!

zupertramp

My opinion on Supergirl is that it gets immensely better in Season 2, stays there a bit into Season 3 but then drops back off. There's something about the show that's just too airy for my tastes. Seems like everyone complained about the darker material in The Flash, when it showed up, but I'm sorry, DC is supposed to be dark. Maybe not BvS dark where it's just all dark and there's barely anything else redeeming about it but, y'know, at least dark enough to take it seriously. Let me say dark again, geez.

Eh, but that's just my view anyway.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

ralphdibny

@nessisonett I think the darhk dynamic just never really fit with arrow but I guess at least it's not just another archer baddy. But literally what are a bunch of non powered vigilantes supposed to do against somebody who can stop their arrows mid flight. Their plans get wackier and wackier but never really get to Batman levels of planning and execution. Neal McDonough is brilliant in the role though!

I don't think Felicity gets any better really. I still quite liked her toward the end but I still prefer John Diggle, it's a treat whenever he is on screen! I think you'll be fine with the rest of the seasons if you've stuck through the first few seasons. They can all get pretty ropey at times, normally around the first and 3 quarter points (in the middle of the first and second halves of the season).

I think Supergirl gets a lot better with a few dips at times, Flash gets a lot worse before it gets better again. Legends just keeps getting better and better though! I mean I love all the shows, faults and all but I can watch them critically and still find them entertaining for the most part.

I think the real problem I had with legends season 1 was Vandal Savage who looks like a really friendly and funny guy but is supposed to be a massive villain, like maybe he's not just believable. Also the actor Carter Hall or Katar Hol was a bit weird, I don't think I really bought his performance either, or at least the storyline the actor had to work with.

@zupertramp I think the dark bits of Flash are good, I think what doesn't work is when he gets all mopey and that's just because it's a 24 episode season. It's painful to watch someone moping around week after week, it's better when he gets over that phase. I do just mean the mopeyness though, I really like neurotic Flash, world on his shoulders flash, tough times Flash etc. I really don't mind the struggle but he does have a tendency to mope at times and it's not amazingly fun to watch but luckily the supporting cast pick up the slack in those episodes. I did used to watch a bunch of episodes in one go though instead of watching it weekly so maybe I just picked up on it more because of that!

See ya!

zupertramp

@ralphdibny I could see picking up on the mopeyness watching them back to back like you say.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

JohnnyShoulder

I've watched half way through episode 7 of Bly Manor and I'm struggling to watch any further. I'm not even remotely finding it scary, apart from the odd jump scare now and again. The best episodes of Hill House i was thinking about them long after. I couldn't even say what happened in the last episode of Bly Manor I saw as I was hardly watching it. Extremely disappointed.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

LieutenantFatman

@BearsEatBeets
Watched Flight of the Conchords two or three years ago, was great fun. My wife loves it, fair to say we'll be watching through it again at some point. Got into it after watching What We Do in the Shadows.

LieutenantFatman

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder I wanna say that's the episode I played Animal Crossing while I watched. It was 7 or 8. I've already forgotten.

Castle Rock S1 > Bly Manor

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder @zupertramp Most disappointing TV show of 2020? What do we reckon? I can appreciate what they were going for, and I actually thought some of the performances were quite good, but the scares were non-existent and the script had collapsed under its own weight by the end.

Sorry Johnny I forgot you've not actually finished it yet. Er, it gets really good in the last couple of episodes. Honest.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp I spent more time posting on here than actually watching it. I only have to watch 2 and a bit episodes until the end, but not sure if I care enough to bother finishing it. I think also I've found most of the characters a bit annoying in some way, and have not connected with them in the same way like I did in Hill House. Apart from the cook, I couldn't care less what happened to any of them.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

I have to admit, I’ve only heard bad things about Bly Manor and that’s from people who loved Hill House 😂

Edited on by nessisonett

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 I think it is up there for me, fo sure. I've not been this disappointed in something for ages, so maybe I'm getting it in one big hit to the face.

nessisonett

Arrow Season 4 might be a bit rubbish but Diggle’s arms aren’t. That man is a specimen and a half.

Kidfried

@nessisonett the Arrow character from the show is like the Deacon of TV 😅

(I really didn't like that show)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried I only lasted about 15 episodes back when it first aired and I was watching it weekly. It’s one of those shows that just suits binging.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic