Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,621 to 1,640 of 4,449

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Yeah it is probably not satirical any more!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

zupertramp

@JohnnyShoulder @nessisonett Just now realizing I never responded to your British politics recommendations. I might look into those although I think I've had a bit of a revelation that I don't really even like politically themed shows/movies. Like I can't think of anything I'm a fan of. Which is weird because I'm really into politics irl.

I don't think that's something I've ever noticed until now.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@zupertramp I think (and going back to something you alluded to in your previous reply, about being removed from the reality) that's the same kinda situation I was in, and still am. When I was studying British politics, I'd never have watched a British political show, but I loved The West Wing for its characters and enjoyed other media based around American politics. I dog-eared a couple of Tom Clancy books, and watched Air Force One more times than was necessary.

The trappings of your government present well in fiction, and that surface-level jingoism and ceremony holds an appeal more than the actual framework and substance. It's the same as tourists wanting to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace (a really underwhelming spectacle to us natives).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Not really into politics that much irl and don't watch any of it on TV. Don't mind the odd film now and again being a shorter experience. The Thick of It you don't really need to be into politics to enjoy it I found as it was so darn funny.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

zupertramp

@RogerRoger Yeah makes sense I guess.

@JohnnyShoulder I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I need a good laugh. Does seem like British comedies are way better anyhow.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

@zupertramp Every time the Americans remake a good British comedy and ruin it, I die a little inside. I had the distinct misfortune of watching both the American Peep Show pilot and The Inbetweeners. They’re insanely terrible, like some of the worst TV I’ve ever watched. I’d probably say the original Peep Show is my favourite TV show of all time as well!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

zupertramp

@nessisonett Yeah I'm not real sure why we do that.

BearsEatBeets

@zupertramp @nessisonett With regard to political shows and also American remakes of British shows, Veep fits in the former catergory whilst being an example of a remake done well. It probably helps that Armando Iannucci who created The Thick of it also went and wrote the US interpretation. Also helps that it has an excellent cast.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett @BearsEatBeets @zupertramp I've not watched it myself, but the american version of The Office is supposed to quite good. That is what I hear from people that have watched it from this side of the pond.

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder As someone who has a username which is a reference to something from the US Office I consider it another example of a British program done right. After a few episodes where it tries to copy the original too closely it finds it's own identity and is all the better for it. It loses it's way a bit after Steve Carrell leaves but overall it's one of my favourites and I watched them many times.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets I agree with you, regarding Veep. A rare exception to the usual rule.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

zupertramp

Wait Veep is just a British remake? How does that work? ... Okay a quick DuckDuckGo search and I see it's basically The Thick of It with the VP at the center ... Geez, so do we even have any originals?

Also this is probably as good a time as any to register my unpopular opinion that mockumentary, observational style shows are terrible. And on a related note, cringe humor is only barely comedy. Just putting people in awkward situations and calling it a day is about as lazy as throwing Will Ferrell in a movie and asking him to yell a lot.

Also I'm aware I'm no fun. Sorry.

RogerRoger

@zupertramp I usually agree with you regarding cringe humour. I hate The Office (both versions) and it takes a special hook to get me watching a mockumentary comedy.

But if you're gonna have an exception to that rule, then you can't do worse than Veep.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@zupertramp Parks and Rec was great but better when it ditched the mockumentary format. And This is Spinal Tap is brilliant! ‘Cringe comedy’ in the US is totally different though, it’s dreadful. Shows like The Inbetweeners, Peep Show, Fresh Meat etc are brilliant whereas the only ones I can think that are decent from the States are Curb Your Enthusiasm and It’s Always Sunny.

zupertramp

@nessisonett Yeah I probably should have qualified my remarks on mockumentaries with the word "modern" because This is Spinal Tap is indeed brilliant. But it's funny you mention Parks and Rec because I'd rather get drunk, ride the teacups, and come home to play Doom VR with all comfort settings off than watch that show. That editing style is just so bad. I didn't realize they stopped using that format. I never even made it through an episode.

I've never seen any of the British shows you mentioned. So I'm totally open to the possibility this is something we just don't do very well state side. Or simply rely on it too much. Which makes sense. Excess is kinda our thing.

nessisonett

@zupertramp Parks and Rec’s first season and a bit are kinda rubbish and basically all reviewers openly admit as much. It’s one of those shows that builds to a peak and then the last season isn’g very good. But the good episodes are really good!

Thrillho

God, Parks and Rec is fantastic. Such a great ensemble cast.

The first season is okay but it gets waaay better once Ben and Chris turn up. The final series dips a bit but still works fine and it actually wraps up pretty nicely too.

Lesley Knope and Ron Swanson are fantastic characters.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@Thrillho Ben is my favourite character. The ongoing saga of Icetown is brilliant and I love his reactions to how messed up Pawnee is.

Th3solution

Yeah, I think there is definitely a cultural aspect to comedy that doesn’t always translate. I loved The Office (up until Steve Carrol left) but when I tried to watch the British version, I found the humor fell flat. Even through it was clearly a direct copy, I just didn’t think the British boss had near the captivation as watching the train wreck of Michael Scott trying to run a paper company.

I remember watching Mr. Bean and thinking, “Is this supposed to be funny?” Monty Python has its moments, but still is much funnier to talk about and quote than to actually watch. And likewise, I’d expect the average British viewer to be completely turned off by the horrible over-the-top and hyperbolic low-brow “comedy” of Will Farrell, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, or Eddie Murphy.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@nessisonett Ha, I do like his “Frank Grimes” type bewilderment at stuff that the rest of the town inexplicably love, particularly over L’il Sebastian.

And that’s the thing, all of the characters are well written and could easily carry an episode by themselves but they don’t need to. Even Gerry/Garry/Larry is great!

Thrillho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic