Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 4,462

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @nessisonett Stephanie Beatriz (Rosa Diaz from Brooklyn Nine-Nine) is apparently gonna put herself forward. I can think of worse choices!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett @RogerRoger honestly not watched it, with the hours i work it wasn't on at a decent time but after watching her other Arrowverse appearances i gotta say i didn't think she was a good fit, she had the look but not the acting chops for the role

Also i'm not sure how i feel about that, i don't want 99 to lose Rosa

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@FullbringIchigo The series has a had a good run though, I would hate for it to be run into the ground. I always think tv shows should go out in a high. Not to say it shouldn't continue without Rosa, but could be a good point to end it.

Not seen any of Batwoman as none of the DC tv stuff clicks with me. Stephanie Beatriz comes across on screen as having so much more charisma than Ruby Rose. Think it would be a good fit.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

@JohnnyShoulder the question is though if she played the role would people see Batwoman or just Rosa, no doubt she could pull it off of course but could it be a instance of typecasting

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

@FullbringIchigo Would that not be the same if someone else played Batwoman who is currently in a role? So it would have to be someone that has never acted before? And how is that typecasting? I've not seen Batwoman but it is not a comedy show is it?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

@JohnnyShoulder i meant because she would again be playing a tough, no nonsense character and there are many types of roles such as romcom for example so no it wouldn't be the same if a current actress was cast in the role, it would depend on what type of roles she was famous for

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo To be fair, maybe she would be perfectly happy playing another no-nonsense character. Not everybody’s suited to playing the girl-next-door America’s Sweetheart.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

ralphdibny

It will be odd having the role be recast, maybe they should recast Kurtis 2.0 while they're at it though I'm sure they will randomly reveal he has a 6 pack and is a plausible batwing when the time comes for it lol

See ya!

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett oh very true the issue is if people always play the same type of characters then they will always be compared to the role they are most famous for which i think is unfair on the actor

RR529

Lupin the 3rd Part 1 (Amazon Prime Video) - The first anime adaptation of the Lupin the 3rd franchise, all the way back from 1972! Known as the "Green Jacket" run, as that's the color jacket he wears here (it's a different color in each series). It's an episodic series that follows the exploits of thief Lupin the 3rd (grandson of famed thief Arsene Lupin) and his gang, with a mostly comedic bend.

I don't have as much nostalgia for Lupin as I do other anime I watched when I was younger, but this particular series was new to me so it was a fun watch. The first half of the series was generally a tad more serious than I was expecting at times, but that gave it a bit of a unique vibe (the manga was more graphic, and while toned down, the early episodes pulled closer to it). The animation was actually quite good considering it's from the early 70's too (and it looked remastered). My only main gripe is that 4 or so random episodes had commentary enabled (there were no settings regarding this, so that's just how they're uploaded to Amazon's streaming service for whatever reason).

Content Guide:

Sex/Nudity (Medium) - Femme Fatal Fujiko Mine appears in various states of undress in some of the earlier episodes (the most graphic being a shower scene where you can see her butt), and a pretty "blink & you'll miss it" moment where the police commissioner can be seen reading a nudie mag (you can fully see one of the pictures) whenever inspector Zenigata barges into his office.

Violence/Gore (Mild) - Most violence is pretty cartoony (like Looney Tunes type stuff when caught in an explosion), however there is some blood, though nothing particularly graphic (the most graphic that comes to mind is a scene where Goemon cuts someone down the middle, though the wound is only bloody during that initial slash).

Language (Mild) - Typical PG/PG-13 stuff.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

nessisonett

I finished Deadwood and watched the movie. It was really brilliant and I’m glad they got the movie last year to tie up those loose ends left over 10 years ago. I definitely think Red Dead 2 especially was influenced by it, the dialogue is razor sharp and Al Swearengen is the original Dutch. The final line of the movie has to be one of my favourite of all time.

“Our Father, who art in heaven...”
“Let him f*cking stay there”

Indeed.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Never seen the show, never intend to, but that's one heck of a great line to end on!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Black_Swordsman

Did anyone see Charlie Brooker's program about how video games changed the world? It's on Youtube, if anyone is curious.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

I’ve been binging The Borgias, worth it for Jeremy Irons chewing the scenery and it’s loose take on history. Interestingly, the youngest Borgia son, Jofré/Gioffre depending on your interpretation, has just gotten married to Sancha of Aragon. I wonder if George RR Martin read up on his Papal history while writing ASOIAF.

msceliot

Any one following Stranger Things? Any news of S4?

I love Anime, Tv series, Shows

RogerRoger

@msceliot I haven't heard anything new of late, but I do know that filming was underway before the pandemic took hold and started shutting down productions. There was a teaser trailer released in February (which I won't embed, because it contains what some would consider a spoiler) but I believe it's joined the ranks of many a show indefinitely suspended until it's safe to resume work.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I finally decided to dabble a bit into The Clone Wars on Disney+ to get my Star Wars fix. It was either that or watch the movies for the umteenth time of rewatch The Mandalorian. Not sure if it’s just my appetite for new Star Wars content, but so far I’m liking what I’m seeing. The voice acting is a little hit-or-miss, but the overall production quality is higher than I expected for an animated show. It’s also got more depth to it than I thought it would. Yes, it’s still a serialized show targeted at a young audience, but so far it’s kept up basic congruence with the SW Universe. Also, I think I like this rendition of Anakin better than the film one. He feels more heroic and less fussy. Not sure how I feel about Ahsoka yet. She’s a little too ‘tweeny in her personality so far but I expect her to mature as the show progresses. I think it’ll be a good show to drop in and out when I have an odd moment off and on. I don’t think I’ll binge the whole thing too quickly. I’ve got to drip-feed the content so I don’t run out of new Star Wars shows before Mandalorian season 2.

Tagging @RogerRoger because of his recommendation of the series.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Great to read, and very fair comment, particularly about the early seasons. Your expectations about Ahsoka maturing over the course of the show can safely be applied to every other element; the production quality, depth and complexity of storytelling, and universe-building all grow up with its audience, in much the same way the prequel trilogy did. Of course, it's still primarily a kid's show at times, and there are some wacky episodes later on, but the twenty-minute bitesize chunks make it easier to digest; if you're rolling your eyes at a cartoonish moment or some obvious filler, don't worry, because then there'll be a character piece or a visually spectacular battle sequence within the hour.

But I agree with you; even I find it difficult to marathon The Clone Wars and so, regardless of reason, it's wise to take it slow. Some of the four-part story arcs in later seasons make for pretty awesome mini-movies, but it's more rewarding to check in periodically, otherwise some episodes can blend together and they definitely suffer as a result. It's also easier to miss references that way.

Hope you continue to enjoy the show as much as I'm enjoying the MCU, and thanks for the tag!

Making It So Since 1987

ApostateMage

@Th3solution I hope you stick it out until the end. Seasons 6 and 7 are very, very good indeed with some emotional story and character arcs. I honestly think it's some of the best written Star Wars I've seen.

ApostateMage

Th3solution

@ApostateMage @RogerRoger Cheers guys, and I’ll drop new impressions over time as they occur. I’ve only just watched that first hour long intro piece and then the first four episodes of season one.

How is the MCU coming along Rog?

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic