Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 4,398

HallowMoonshadow

Who doesn't love Bebe @RogerRoger?

Untitled

Harriet Haris has a small part in the Christopher Nolan film "Momento" (Which in of itself is very good) but that's all I've ever seen her in aside from Frasier and this one X-File episode (Though I'm sure she has plenty of other roles somewhere)

There's a lot of great guest stars throughout it's run. Pretty sure Bulldog is in an episode too!

Bryan Cranston springs to mind in particular with a great episode in season 6 called Drive which If I remember right was written by the breaking bad creator Vince Gilligan (or whatever his name is).

There's a pretty good episode in the same season I think involving Bruce Campbell too.

The first season of the x-files is fairly choppy in places (Especially so now) thanks to Fox thinking it was going to fail and gave it a very minscule budget compared to some flop western show they thought was going to be a hit...

... But otherwise I'd say it's pretty solid. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have pretty great chemistry together... I'd be surprised if they didn't as they're the reason the term 'shipping' exists apparently 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Glad you had a good time with Goldblum. You're definitely tuning in for him; otherwise, you're right, it's not the most gripping of analyses. I think his unboxing reaction video sums up the whole endeavour - you're here to see him react to things, rather than react to them yourself. I need to get back to that this week, now that I've caught up with Star Wars.

Mando was superb, yes! Although I would agree with some who say that its middle three chapters got a bit distracted with some slightly formulaic "adventure of the week" fluff. Still loved the episodes, but it was somewhat jarring after it set out such a strong serialised format to start with. Really connected with the central character, and its villains were great. IG-11 was perfect, as were the Jawas. Very excited for the second season now, agreed, especially after recent teases and rumours.

Will be interested to see what you make of The Clone Wars, especially since you'll be starting all the way back at the beginning. Remember to find the film first, which Disney+ has unhelpfully listed under "Specials" rather than alongside the show itself.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's always been one of those shows I've wanted to try, but never quite gotten around to. A lot of 90s American sci-fi had some amazing guest stars (there are dozens peppered throughout the various Star Trek shows; when Bebe Neuwirth, a.k.a. Lilith, shows up in The Next Generation it's an absolute hoot) but you're right, I think X-Files is boosted by the fact that the chemistry between Mulder and Scully is legendary, even to those who've never seen it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

Aww I love The X Files @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy! Me and my sister first watched it on TV in the '90's and were absolutely terrified! We've since watched it many times on DVD and still been terrified. 😂 The monster of the week episodes are particularly great early on. Squeeze is such a creepy episode and I love Eve too. It's a shame that the revival series didn't quite live up to the legacy of the original run.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Well if you do ever get round to it @RogerRoger I hope you enjoy it and I hope I haven't bigged it up too much!

There's... one episode I would recommend you probably skip over.

"Home"

From the fourth season I think. I'm surprised they managed to make and air it to be perfectly honest. It's genuinely one of the most unsettling pieces of media I've seen!

Glad to see you enjoyed The Mandalorian too

I do remember watching episodes on the BBC every now and again when it originally aired @mookysam and I can certainly agree on Squeeze and it's sequel Tooms being good episodes! Apparently Tooms' actor wrote a script for a prequel episode (That was ultimately rejected)

I thought the revival miniseries was pretty awful... I only really liked two episodes from the whole lot which was the were-monster one and the one concerning the Mandela effect with "Reggie Something"

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thanks for the warning; I do remember seeing the odd episode here or there, and one which stuck with me (and maybe explains why I haven't given it a shot yet) had a bunch of people clawing their own eyes out in a supermarket. I also wanna say it had something to do with a cursed doll, but that sounds too much like a parody. I may be misremembering.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

... That's the Stephen King written episode @RogerRoger called Chinga 😂

I remember that one quite clearly and that is something that happens in that episode. It also does revolve around a killer doll 😅

Seasons 1 & 2 are quite serious I've found going through and watching my particular favourites.... There definitely are a number episodes further in though that do take a parody slant, not to mention a few that are more light hearted in nature.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy X files is so good, we are currently and very slowly re watching it only with the added filler of Millenium mixed in, we are on season 4 of X files and season 1 of Millenium.

I recently started the third season of westworld (currently on episode 5 or 6) and I have to say it might be either the best season yet or at least the best season since 1. I thought season 2 was a bit boring but this one has really picked up and is dealing with some interesting themes.

See ya!

mookysam

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I found the revival so dull I can't remember much about it other than a hideously aged CSM and yet another reboot to the mythology.

Antique dolls are rather creepy so Chinga was somewhat unsettling. 😂 The little girl's expressions in that episode are particularly scary! The Bruce Campbell episode you mentioned is a lot of fun but I think one of my favourites is The Postmodern Prometheus. I really need to watch the show again.

There's definitely a more serious tone to the earlier seasons. The whole style changed somewhat once filming moved from British Columbia to California. Home is frightful!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

I’ve been watching Deadwood after finishing Justified because my mum’s now a Timothy Olyphant stan but it’s been really good so far. Ian McShane is great as an absolute b*stard and it was weird seeing a really young Kristen Bell turn up. It’ll be interesting to see where it goes.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

mookysam wrote:

I found the revival so dull I can't remember much about it other than a hideously aged CSM and yet another reboot to the mythology

Yeah I recall @mookysam hence why I'm watching the monster of the week episodes... I don't have to deal with Chris Carter's ever changing mythos from constantly writing it by the seat of his pants... 😂

I've only watched the first season of millenium @ralphdibny . The first time I saw it I thought it was ok... But about a year or two later I bought season 2 and attempted to rewatch the first season to then jump onto the second after but couldn't get into it for the life of me.

Have you seen the Lone Gunmen series? I've heard that's good too apparently...

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Millenium is a tough one, when I watched it a bit way back when, I found it too dense to get in to. I kind of thought the opening credits were lame and the whole idea of it was a bit boring but since watching it as part of X files (broken up with a 4 episode disc of each series) I'd say its a lot more enjoyable now.

I really liked the X files revival, maybe for the wrong reasons but I thought it was really funny how skinner seemed a lot older than Mulder in the original show but in the revival, Mulder looks way older, like his face has melted (I assume because of duchovnys real life escapades). I think overall it was good but there are some things that could've been better. I guess the retcon of the colonisation storyline makes sense as the 2012 date has passed and nothing has happened in real life which the show more or less reflects, so they created a new conspiracy out of it (which comes across as a bit less interesting tbh). Though X files had a habit of retconning it's overall conspiracy storyline throughout its original 9 series run anyway, if I remember correctly, just so they wouldn't run out of plot every time it was renewed

I think the saddest part about the revival was the serious lack of Agent Dogget who was one of my favourite characters along with Jeffrey Spender (smoking man's son) who I think did make an appearance briefly . (I know I have random favourites lol)

The lone gunmen series is brilliant, it's just 13 episodes of them doing what they do best, which is largely just being funny. I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the 2008 X files movie with Xzibit and Billy Connolly contrary to popular opinion. That works well as a standalone story too so its probably worth a watch in your run through of non mythology episodes!

See ya!

RR529

Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Amazon Prime Video) - Early 80's Sci-Fi/Mecha anime. A massive alien craft (dubbed the Macross by the people of Earth) crashes on Earth, and after a 10 year long project to restore it, it's ready to launch on it's maiden voyage. However, things don't pan out as expected when an alien race known as the Zentradi arrive in the solar system in response to it's activation, and after the Macross attacks them of it's own accord the crew must activate it's untested "Fold" system (pretty much Warp Speed) to escape their powerful new adversary, and wind up on Pluto. With an entire city's worth of civilians in tow (the most notable being hotshot pilot Hikaru Ichijyo, invited to the launch by Squadron Leader Roy Focker who serves aboard the Macross, and Lynn Minmay, a teenage girl rescued by Hikaru during the chaos who ends up being more important than you could guess) who were caught up in the warp, the Macross must make a long and arduous journey back to Earth while being hunted by the Zentradi.

It turned out to be an excellent watch. You'll have to get used to the dated animation (and the fact that it clearly hasn't been remastered in any way), but once you do you're in for a treat. While it does feature some of the typical "power of friendship/love" trope you see in anime a lot, it's also one of the most hard sci-fi anime I've ever seen (even if aspects of it are naturally dated), and even kind of gives me Star Trek vibes, especially in the first story arc. It has an excellent balance of action (are fighter jets that transform into mechs ever not cool?), down time/humor (the Zentradi reactions to the Earthling way of life never get old), and of course romance (the relationship between Hikaru & Minmay had me on the edge of my seat, and I was gutted that they seemingly couldn't be together). It is dated in spots (a few action scenes seem to be running at 5 frames of animation, while others are quite good), but it makes me more interested in trying out the other old sci-fi anime they have on the service.

Content Guide:

Sex/Nudity (Mild) - You see Minmay's butt during a shower scene early on (this is replayed during a later pseudo-recap episode), and there is a vaguely detailed topless pinup poster briefly seen in Roy Focker's quarters.

Violence/Gore (Medium) - I'd say it's mild in intensity as there's not a lot of blood, but there is tons of battle (it's just 95% mechs, planes, and other war machinery blowing up without showing what happens to the people inside), so keep that in mind. The few times there is blood it's at the very low end in terms of gore (things like the single sliver of blood coming from the lip/forehead, or a stain on a piece of clothing).

Language (Mild) - Some PG/PG-13 type stuff, as usual.

NOTE: the Americanized version (Robotech) is also available on Prime Video, and does come in a remastered format, however given that it's an 80's localization I'm not sure how true it is in terms of story & content so I didn't watch it (the only things I can confirm are that they Americanized some of the names, as Hikaru became Rex Hunter, and that they linked Macross with two other anime, Calvary Southern Cross & Genesis Climber Mosphaeda, in order to make Robotech, though I'm not sure how invasive this was to each of their core narratives, as the three shows seem to be treated as different seasons just set generations apart within Robotech & may not necessarily have their events jumbled up). That, and Macross & Calvary Southern Cross may actually be related, as both carry the Super Dimension moniker in their original forms.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BearsEatBeets

I finally got around to getting Disney + mainly just for The Mandalorian. I've watched the first 3 episodes and love it so far. It's really well made and definitely feel like they have mixed a slight hint of western into the theme music which is excellent. The little nods to other Speilberg/Lucas films is fun touch too. I was a little surprised the episodes are only 25 minutes long which doesn't help avoid binge watching. I'll try and pace myself a bit. Eager to see where it goes.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets There are some episodes which are bit longer, I think just under 40 mins.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

I’ve been watching Turn, which is a relatively OK show about the American Revolution. Kinda funny how all the British officers have pure flowery accents when they were all mostly American born. Also the fact that English accents back then were closer to American accents now. I think the historical inaccuracies don’t exactly stop there however. I do find it funny, all the talk about Patriots and Sons of Liberty though, Kojima really loves his weird historical allegories.

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the insight @ralphdibny! I'll be sure to give The Lone Gunmen and the second movie a look when I can!

I'll try and give Millenium another chance too. Might do a similar thing like you and space it out between X File episodesm

ralphdibny

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy no worries! Hope you like TLG at least. I don't mean to reccomend things too much, I just get quite excited over the stuff I like! I'd hate for somebody to waste their time on a poor reccomendation from me!

See ya!

nessisonett

I’ve been watching I Know This Much Is True, with Mark Ruffalo playing identical twins. It’s like an onion of misery. Each layer being peeled back reveals another source of pain for poor Mark Ruffalo and his identical yet tortured schizophrenic Mark Ruffalo. I love the way it’s filmed and he’s incredible but it’s truly miserable and a hard watch.

FullbringIchigo

well she didn't last long

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo Ooh, I might go back to watching it then. The concept wasn’t bad at all and they nailed Gotham but she just isn’t a leading lady, she has literally 0 charisma.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic