Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 4,449

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON just finished watching crisis on infinite earths and I loved it! I thought it was a great pay off for all the shows and I'm really glad that arrowverse has been merged. .

As for the DCU shows I watched in the lead up. Titans Season 2 was much better than season 1. Jason was less of a douche, or at least he was characterized more so his douchery became more understandable. I'm glad they got rid of Kori's ridiculous wig but there is something really off about Beast Boy and ravens hair, their hair lines are really dirty like it's a poor dye job or a wig has been stuck on weirdly. I think Hawk and Donna are my favourite characters but I also love Dick and I think Brenton Thwaites is probably the best casting for Nightwing they can probably get at the moment. I can't really think of any other actors at the moment that could pull it off.

I liked Swamp Thing but I think you built it up a bit too much Kal! It sort of worked well as a horror show but inevitably it meant the characters fell into the horror tropes of making dumb decisions often accompanied by dumb dialogue. One scene of the girl in the hospital bed really stuck out because a similar scene appeared as a joke in Doom Patrol where it was played as deliberately hammy whereas Swamp Thing played it completely straight and came off as unintentionally hammy. I quite liked the casting of Swamp Thing itself. Avery was great too and I just love the Cajun accent. It's just really strange the way things with an "er" sound are pronounced like work, turtle etc.

I think Doom Patrol was the best of the DCU shows though. It was just funny and I loved all the characters especially the Negative Man and Robotman but also Crazy Jane and Elastigirl. Looking forward to a season 2 of that.

As for Arrowverse, I really didn't think Batwoman was too bad. Especially in comparison to early Arrow. Bare in mind I've only seen up to Crisis but nothing really sticks out as really terrible. I think when they move on from this Alice storyline it will get a lot better though.

Black Lightning season 3 so far hasn't been as good as at least the first series but like I say I am glad that the world has finally been merged with the rest of the Arrow spin offs and I can't wait to see where they take it!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny ‘but I also love Dick’

I feel you, we’ve all been there 😉

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

KALofKRYPTON

@ralphdibny There were a few nice bits in Crisis.

You're very generous towards Batwoman; It's thoroughly shoddy and the characterisations, writing, direction, production and acting are pi** poor. Even early Arrow was leagues ahead in all respects.

Titans was really more of the same meandering. The ending was really terrible though. I get wanting/needing to kill off Donna, but Conner was right there!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

ralphdibny

@nessisonett haha, I mean Grayson, honest 🙄

@KALofKRYPTON maybe I am being generous but arrowverse related shows are like crack to me at the moment lol. I think I glaze over the foibles because the shows are fun to watch. I only really hate the mopey episodes as they can get boring real fast

I wonder why they had to kill Donna. I am glad they didn't have Connor do it though. It would be so typical to have that sort of grievance be on a characters head so I am glad that Connor won't be dealing with a predictable storyline like that.

See ya!

KALofKRYPTON

@ralphdibny I can gloss over foibles..

No, I mean that he was right there to be able to hold the ferris wheel. Also, it was a sodding ferris wheel with a bit of electricity! - they could have just had Slade do it to up the stakes a bit.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

ralphdibny

@KALofKRYPTON haha oh yeah, the whole thing was really dumb to be honest, I would've thought Donna would have been able to survive that. I didn't think that themyscirans had a weakness to electricity....I guess none of them listen to the radio while they're in the bath lol

See ya!

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Speak for yourself!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

Emmy Rossum for the She-Hulk?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/df/2a/93df2ac748aa402203db5...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERl1KuqWAAEzBan?format=jpg&na...

Also, this looks really cool.

I used to follow the TV series. Too bad we don't have The Simpsons here anymore.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet
I'm not entirely sure they're going to run with classic (read: 'good') version of She Hulk.

That said, looks like Alison Brie is likely to star, so I wouldn't imagine they'd bother getting her if they weren't expecting the role to be physical.

Also, now I think about it - doing the new She Hulk would be monstrously expensive.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Love The Simpsons poster!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I saw it on Twitter. Marvel's apparently looking for an Alison Brie-type actress to play the role. Why "type" when they could just cast Alison Brie? lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder I'm actually trying to find a high res version so I can maybe use it as background art for my PS4.

ralphdibny

@WanderingBullet can't really think who would be a good she hulk off the top of my head. I suspect the casting will probably work out with whoever they go with. I haven't had many issues with actors cast in MCU so far and they just make the role their own.

Untitled

See ya!

ralphdibny

@WanderingBullet haha omg im so sorry I should have put a disclaimer. I tried to find a poster for it that wouldn't violate the forum rules and didn't want to explain too much as I didn't want to disrespect the memory of the late Chyna.

See ya!

WanderingBullet

@ralphdibny No worries, man and I agree that Marvel's been pretty spot on with their castings so far.

RogerRoger

Amazon had a discount on selected Doctor Who merchandise and collections, which caught my eye at the right moment. I'd grown tired of the series halfway through the Matt Smith era; it had been brilliant up until him, but his tenure was a significant backwards step and Amy Pond was a terrible companion, so I'd stopped watching. Curiosity then made me watch the 50th Anniversary special and then Peter Capaldi's first episode and I got hooked again, right up until the BBC took away iPlayer from people without a TV Licence (people like me). The last episode I remember was one where the Doctor was trapped in a castle, punching his way through a diamond wall over and over again. It was fantastic but then, boop, couldn't legally watch the show any longer.

Which was a real shame, as Capaldi is perhaps my favourite Doctor. His episodes were complex and interesting, and his performance was word-perfect. I genuinely believed he was an alien, not just a goofy human; he even gave his silence depth. Recalling that, I grabbed his three seasons on Blu-Ray, as well as his departure special, and I'm currently halfway through.

I'll admit, many of his episodes don't have a consistent quality running throughout, but this simply means that their peak moments are higher than anybody has ever reached before. The most "complete" episodes I've enjoyed thusfar have been The Caretaker, Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, as well as The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familiar, whilst everything else has been ever-so-slightly erratic. Many of the component parts, however, work in isolation; everybody turning their backs in Listen, duelling Robin Hood with a spoon in Robot of Sherwood, or skydiving after the TARDIS during Death in Heaven. Capaldi's genius also presides over the single greatest line of dialogue in television history, when he turns to Clara and says "Do you think I care for you so little, that betraying me would make a difference?" In those instances, the show surpasses anything that's come before.

And let's not forget, this is also the era which gave us Missy. She's a revelation, taking a boring mid-tier enemy and finally making them live up to their overhyped reputation.

Currently, I'm enjoying being reminded of episodes I've seen once before, but I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'll be in unknown territory. As always with the Doctor, I'm really excited to see where he's headed next and will undoubtedly love his last hurrah, but I'll also be sad to see him go. Whether or not I continue on, and pick up the Jodie Whittaker incarnation or not, remains to be seen. Maybe when there's another sale in a couple years. For now, I'm happy to stick with Capaldi, and have him be the only Doctor in my collection.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

Well. Chibs talked Doctor Who up a touch too much didn't he? 😂

I'd shared my theory about how how tonight's episode may play out to my partner (not exactly a Whovian) last week - she was quite quick to say that it really wouldn't be that complicated, because Chibnall just isn't that capable.

And how correct she was.
An alright episode for most part with a couple of low points.
By the time of the 'big reveal', the audience is already there and it was unsurprisingly uninspiring. There was no paradigm shattering revelation, just a watered down version of most fan theories out there. Thankfully its nothing that seems particularly franchise breaking either; on the contrary actually.

Given the cliffhanger though, they could really do without another year long production gap and loss of momentum.

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
Special shout out for you calling The Master 'mid-tier'!
Life on the edge! 😂

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic